Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

The first openly gay current NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL player

Pretty big moment in American professional sports history:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mag...#ixzz2Rrh8O559

Yeah, I am actually more interested in which current pro athletes tweet their support, first. I have been watching Twitter since the news broke and have only seen Baron Davis step up, and "current" does not sit before his name. Props to Jason Collins for taking the first step, now let's see who is brave enough to voice their encouragement.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post

I agree, it's a pretty big moment. Huge, even.

Some interesting factors and questions that immediately come to mind:

Collins has been in the league a dozen years, and has had many of the rest of the current NBA players as teammates at some time or another. I'm sure we will see the full gamut of reactions from some of his former teammates.

Do the dominoes now fall for a number of other closeted gay players? I recall that the NFLPA is coordinating with four gay members of their organization to come out all together.

Collins is a free agent but clearly near the end of his career. How will his announcement affect his free agency? I don't believe it's Branch Rickey signing Jackie Robinson, but it's certainly the closest we've come to something like that since its time.

I can't imagine how hard this was for Jason Collins. Good for him.

Good for him for coming out. Its definitely a brave move. Hope he gets a ton of support and a team will be willing to pick him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Yeah, I am actually more interested in which current pro athletes tweet their support, first. I have been watching Twitter since the news broke and have only seen Baron Davis step up, and "current" does not sit before his name. Props to Jason Collins for taking the first step, now let's see who is brave enough to voice their encouragement.
    Kobe just came out in support on Twitter. He's the first active player I've seen. Nearly every basketball writer has already done so in a big way, though that's not too surprising.

Kobe Bryant ‏@kobebryant 2m

Proud of @jasoncollins34. Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others #courage #support #mambaarmystandup #BYOU

Steve Nash just gave his support as well.

First, huge praise for Collins for doing this. Here's to a day when publicly revealing your sexuality is a thing of the past because it does not matter to anyone any more.

That said, I wish he had not done it so late in his career. He is barely a serviceable player any more. He played in 38 total games this year for 2 different teams and averaged less than 1.5 ppg and less than 2 rpg. A team that was not interested in signing him this off-season would not be a team seen as prejudiced but a team wisely passing on an over-the-hill, unproductive big-man.

This is a wonderful step toward recognizing that there are many gay athletes out there, but I am still waiting for the first really successful pro player to come out -- I am talking the kind of guy that any team in the league would want on their roster. Then we will really be breaking down barriers. I want a gay player where kids collect his baseball/basketball/football card and fans wear his jersey. Jason Collins ain't it yet. Neither was John Ameiche.

-Jason "the column he wrote is really well-done. Clearly he is a bright and thoughtful guy" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post

It is big, and I commend him; hope he gets plenty of support.

I've gotta say...I'm surprised at the account that his twin brother was unaware of Jason's homosexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    Kobe just came out in support on Twitter. He's the first active player I've seen. Nearly every basketball writer has already done so in a big way, though that's not too surprising.

Kobe Bryant ‏@kobebryant 2m
    Proud of @jasoncollins34. Don't suffocate who u r because of the ignorance of others #courage #support #mambaarmystandup #BYOU
    Good on Kobe! The brave ones will speak out early following Collins' example!

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    I agree, it's a pretty big moment. Huge, even.

... I'm sure we will see the full gamut of reactions from some of his former teammates.

... Good for him.
    Kudos for the courage, but does he really qualify as an active player? In a sense, he is just riding the wave of public sentiment to reap the benefits of being the first "active" player to come out, with no downside, because his career is pretty much over.

I really doubt we will see much of a "range" of reactions, agents are probably sitting on top of their clients, typing twitter responses for them as we speak. Imagine the backlash for anyone who responds in less than a supportive manner.

It is good that he feels comfortable in making the announcement. Sad that it is newsworthy.

Fantastic news and huge kudos to Jason Collins. It's hard to overstate how far we have come in the past decade or so. In terms of the NBA's response, I think it will help some that Magic's son recently came out.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    First, huge praise for Collins for doing this. Here's to a day when publicly revealing your sexuality is a thing of the past because it does not matter to anyone any more.

That said, I wish he had not done it so late in his career. He is barely a serviceable player any more. He played in 38 total games this year for 2 different teams and averaged less than 1.5 ppg and less than 2 rpg. A team that was not interested in signing him this off-season would not be a team seen as prejudiced but a team wisely passing on an over-the-hill, unproductive big-man.

This is a wonderful step toward recognizing that there are many gay athletes out there, but I am still waiting for the first really successful pro player to come out -- I am talking the kind of guy that any team in the league would want on their roster. Then we will really be breaking down barriers. I want a gay player where kids collect his baseball/basketball/football card and fans wear his jersey. Jason Collins ain't it yet. Neither was John Ameiche.

-Jason "the column he wrote is really well-done. Clearly he is a bright and thoughtful guy" Evans
    A big step for men's Pro sports - but if he is not picked up- which is very likely given his lack of productivity- some will wonder if this is tied to his announcement. Will be interesting to see how this plays out and how it gets spun should he not be signed.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    A big step for men's Pro sports - but if he is not picked up- which is very likely given his lack of productivity- some will wonder if this is tied to his announcement. Will be interesting to see how this plays out and how it gets spun should he not be signed.
    Great call, I agree. Will Collins get signed, and will/will not a team sign him because of this?

Seems like I am in the minority on this one, but what's the big deal? I do understand the courage that it took for him to announce that he was gay, but everyone is acting like we just discovered the cure for cancer. A man is gay, big deal, move on. Walk outside and look around, it wont be hard to find other gay men too. If the goal of the homosexual community is to be seen as "equal", then why do we make such a big deal everytime a celebrity comes out?

Quote Originally Posted by jcannon View Post
    Seems like I am in the minority on this one, but what's the big deal? I do understand the courage that it took for him to announce that he was gay, but everyone is acting like we just discovered the cure for cancer. A man is gay, big deal, move on. Walk outside and look around, it wont be hard to find other gay men too. If the goal of the homosexual community is to be seen as "equal", then why do we make such a big deal everytime a celebrity comes out?
    The big four pro sports in America have long been a manifestation of maleness, with the implication being "heterosexual" maleness. While we know that there have been many closeted gay pro athletes in the NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB, and many have come out after retirement, none has ever done so while active. Why, because the threat of blackball from leagues, teams, coaches and especially other players was very real, let alone the abuse that could come down from all of the above, and fans. Read the comments under the SI.com article to see what Collins has in store.

I am glad you think it's no big deal, that's a sign of progress. But, it is no doubt a BIG DEAL that Collins has taken this step.

I think the goal of any group that's been historically marginalized/persecuted is actually not to be seen as "equal", but rather to, ultimately, not be seen as anything but their individual self.

Seems like I am in the minority on this one, but what's the big deal? I do understand the courage that it took for him to announce that he was gay, but everyone is acting like we just discovered the cure for cancer. A man is gay, big deal, move on. Walk outside and look around, it wont be hard to find other gay men too.
    Because literally no professional athlete in the "big four" sports has come out while an active player. Most reasonable people know that there is almost certainly a gay player on every NFL team, and there are probably many gay players in the NBA, MLB, and NHL as well. Despite this, the "machismo" attitude of most sports locker rooms has made homosexual players afraid to be open about their sexuality.

If the goal of the homosexual community is to be seen as "equal", then why do we make such a big deal everytime a celebrity comes out?
    The first step to seeing the homosexual community as "equal" is realizing/accepting that there is a homosexual component of said community. In sports, there are many people who don't realize/accept that. And until active players come out, there will be many folks who act like ostriches burying their heads in the sand. So it's a big deal that someone has finally come out while a player (though in this case he might as well be considered retired anyway).

Eventually, after enough players have come out without repercussions, it won't be a big deal when someone comes out. But first we have to have some people actually come out in order to get there.

I think the goal of any group that's been historically marginalized/persecuted is actually not to be seen as "equal", but rather to, ultimately, not be seen as anything but their individual self.
    If that is truly the case, then why do we have to have a 3 page SI article? I don't understand why someone can't just "be gay" without the hoopla. Would we have the same excitement if a WNBA star had a press conference stating that she was "straight"? As for his career, if a player makes the team better then the GM, players, and fans are going to accept him no matter what.

Again, not tying to downplay the courage it took for him to do that, but just trying to understand the necessity for all of the press.

You are not alone. This type of reaction is why peole don't come out. So many act like it takes a huge amount of courage and many question if they have the courage to do like wise. Congrats to him for coming out and leave it at that.

Not my life style, but what I do behind close doors is my business and the one I am with and I believe that should be so with others.

Kobe

Good on Kobe! The brave ones will speak out early following Collins' example!
    Yes, it's good Kobe did that, but if memory is correct, it was his homophobic slur directed at an official that caused the NBA to do a series of public service announcements featuring one Grant Hill.

Edit: Kobe issued the slur, but the NBA had already taped the spot:

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com...11/04/18/18967

So I'm glad Kobe learned his lesson.

If that is truly the case, then why do we have to have a 3 page SI article? I don't understand why someone can't just "be gay" without the hoopla. Would we have the same excitement if a WNBA star had a press conference stating that she was "straight"? As for his career, if a player makes the team better then the GM, players, and fans are going to accept him no matter what.

Again, not tying to downplay the courage it took for him to do that, but just trying to understand the necessity for all of the press.
    I disapproved this comment, so I figured I'd admit it here. This comment DOES downplay his courage - he is the first active athlete in to do this. The WNBA comment is both a shibboleth, and wrong - Sheryl Swopes came out years ago. And if I've seen anything on this board, its that a whole heckuva lot of people don't view women's basketball as equivalent with men's basketball.

More to the point - when Harvey Milk was campaigning for gay rights in SF in the early 70s, he argued that the most important act a gay person could do was come out to there families, on the theory that its harder to discriminate against the people you know. The big 4 professional sports have been absent that for all of history. They are not now. And that's what's important.