View Poll Results: Which three of the following films will do the poorest at the Boxoffice

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iron Man 3 (do not vote for this film!)

1 2.13%
  • Great Gatsby

23 48.94%
  • Star Trek: Into Darkness

1 2.13%
  • Fast & Furious 6

4 8.51%
  • Hangover Part III

0 0%
  • After Earth

16 34.04%
  • The Internship

33 70.21%
  • Man of Steel

0 0%
  • Monsters University

0 0%
  • World War Z

9 19.15%
  • Despicable Me 2

0 0%
  • The Lone Ranger

20 42.55%
  • Pacific Rim

24 51.06%
  • The Wolverine

10 21.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Right now it looks like After Earth and The Internship are holding steady for the bottom 3 race. Jason said on the biggest box office thread that 3 of his fellow critics have panned The Lone Ranger. Since it opens on the 4th and will have a long weekend to bring in box office will it make enough to avoid the bottom 3?

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    Right now it looks like After Earth and The Internship are holding steady for the bottom 3 race. Jason said on the biggest box office thread that 3 of his fellow critics have panned The Lone Ranger. Since it opens on the 4th and will have a long weekend to bring in box office will it make enough to avoid the bottom 3?
    Looks the 3 losers will be After Earth, The Internship and Pacific Rim. Shoot, nearly had it but looks as if Lone Ranger will edge Pacific Rim in total domestic. Still a few weeks to go but that's the way it looks now.

Thought the latest "Transformers" movie would break $100M at least but not yet. If they could have called it "Transformers Vs Godzilla" instead of "Pacific Rim", it might be contending for Top 5

It could be the positive criticism the movie received actually hurt it. Better someone had written "Transformers on steroids" or "just another blow em up summer movie".

BTW, Pacific Rim is the only one on the loser list that I've actually seen and I enjoyed it. Great summer fare. Get the large popcorn and drink and stay cool. Though I was thinking Transformers versus Godzilla both before and during the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by dball View Post
    Looks the 3 losers will be After Earth, The Internship and Pacific Rim.
    I wish! But alas, at the rate they are going, Pacific Rim should surpass the Lone Ranger soon enough.

The Lone Ranger opened 9 days earlier than Pacific Rim, so its totals are still slightly higher for now, but it looks like the ultimate winners are probably going to be those who selected The Internship, After Earth, and The Lone Ranger:

dball
    Highlander
    NashvilleDevil

No question that Pac Rim will pass Lone Ranger. Heck, it won't even be close. After this weekend, Pac Rim is at $84.0 mil (it did $7.5 mil this weekend) while Lone Ranger is at $85.2 mil after a weekend in which it made just $1.6 mil. Pac Rim will pass Lone Ranger some time in the next week and seems likely to end up a good $10-20 mil higher by the time the summer is done. Those two won't even be close.

-Jason "Pac Rim will make $100 mil in the US, but its big money will come overseas where it will likely do $250+ mil" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

R.I.P.D.

Why was R.I.P.D. not on your original list?

Major bomb.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Why was R.I.P.D. not on your original list?

Major bomb.

SoCal
    The point here is not necessarily to pick the lowest grossing films overall--just the lowest grossing out of the films that were included in the "Top 5" poll.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I think Jarhead meant to vote for R.I.P.D instead of Iron Man.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Final Results

Of the films in our list, I checked as of today, and here are the totals for the ones at the bottom:

• Great Gatsby $145M
    • The Wolverine $120M
    • Hangover III $112M
    • Pacific Rim $98M
    • Lone Ranger $88M
    • After Earth $60M
    • The Internship $44M

I rounded up to the nearest million, but it doesn't really matter as the bottom three are pretty clear. Almost all of them at the bottom are out of the theatres by this point, so I think we can call it. Based on what I can see, the three of us to correctly pick all three lemons are:
    dball, Highlander, and NashvilleDevil

Congrats to the other two biggest loser pickers. I'll drink a beer in your honor this weekend...

BTW, Feel free to correct me if I missed anyone or got my totals wrong.
    "There can BE only one."

The Washington Post's critic, Ann Hornaday, has a nice take on how to ruin a summer blockbuster in 8 easy steps. Well, not quite, but she does offer 8 lessons from summer movies.

-jk

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    After Earth's final weekend number was $27 million, a truly terrible opening for a film like this. It will make something like $60 mil when all is said and done. It is a mortal lock to be among the bottom 3 in our poll.
    You'd figure that after a string of crappy movies that M. Knight would be treated like the plague by studios...but someone took a chance and made some money.
    After Earth's $27 million sucked, but this weekend "The Visit" pulled in just under $26 million, and has a positive rating on RT. Made for a whopping five million bucks, someone is doing a mega happy dance this morning.
    I wonder if this will be the beginning of a comeback for him.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."