Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

New "Big" "Ten" divisions

They're called "Legends" (Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern)
    and "Leaders" (Illinois, Indiana, The Ohio State University, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin)
    I assume this is because the names "nausea" and "vomiting" were taken.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    They're called "Legends" (Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern)
    and "Leaders" (Illinois, Indiana, The Ohio State University, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin)
    I assume this is because the names "nausea" and "vomiting" were taken.
    I thought the new logo was bad

and it is.

But those division names are just some kind of new and improved super awfulness

Congratulations, Big Ten, that's even dumber sounding than "Atlantic" and "Coastal."

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Congratulations, Big Ten, that's even dumber sounding than "Atlantic" and "Coastal."
    Throaty, are you suggesting that they should have gone with "Big" and "Twelve"?

Throaty, are you suggesting that they should have gone with "Big" and "Twelve"?
    Nice. How about they change the conference name to "Big Dozen" with "Six" and "Half Dozen" divisions? When it's six in one and half a dozen in the other, the teams really can't complain about they got split up (a la Pac-12).

How about using something like those intellectual cheers like "tar----heels" or "wolf----pack". Now those are creative intelligent sounding cheers, NOT! But at least most of their student bodies can remember them.

I've also seen elsewhere someone suggesting the division names should have been "Slow" and "Boring." But I like Nausea and Vomiting mentioned above much better.

Didn't one of those teams out run and beat Oregon last January?

Let's not let actual fact get in the way of reputation.

they're called "legends"
    and "leaders"
    and lamers

Am I missing something with the new logo? The old logo had an embedded "11", sort of a cheeky reference to their own misnomer.

The new logo has a. . . one? Am I missing a hidden "two" somewhere? Or is it a reference to the oneness of the new Big 10?

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Am I missing something with the new logo? The old logo had an embedded "11", sort of a cheeky reference to their own misnomer.

The new logo has a. . . one? Am I missing a hidden "two" somewhere? Or is it a reference to the oneness of the new Big 10?
    The new logo has a one...and a six.

The logo? Whatever. People will rarely see it and nobody will care about it or talk about it after . . . today.

The real laugher is the division naming. This is like some kind of bad joke. It's what you'd expect from some politically correct little league, where everyone gets to play equal minutes/innings or whatever, or maybe they don't keep score or standings, and everyone gets a trophy. And with all the new awards the Big 10 has created, it seems like just about everyone will in fact get a trophy.

The Griese-Brees QB award? Griese-Brees? I think I had a bad case of that one time down in Mexico . . .

Blech. Wonder how much the genius who came up with that garbage was paid.

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Blech. Wonder how much the genius who came up with that garbage was paid.
    Hopefully not as much as one of the top advertising firms in Scotland received for coming up with the revolutionary new slogan, "Welcome to Scotland." (They got paid £125k to replace the existing slogan "Scotland, the Best Small Country in the World". For full disclosure, that amount includes the manufacturing and design of the signs too).

To get back on topic, terrible names. For basketball, the "Leaders" are far better than the "Legends" with only MSU being a solid team in their division historically. While the other division has IL, IN, Ohio St, WI, and Purdue. I guess it doesn't really matter if it's lopsided for b-ball though...much like how the SEC is this year. SEC West is pathetic.

To be honest, everyone in Ohio seems to be flummoxed about these choices, too.

The logo is an abomination; the league names are just obnoxious and ridiculous.

Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    the league names are just obnoxious and ridiculous.
    Well then I guess they are a perfect fit!
    April 1

That has got to be utterly humiliating for the entire conference.

I'm trying to think - has there ever been a division in a major athletics named with a plural noun ("legends") rather than an adjective ("western", "atlantic")?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    That has got to be utterly humiliating for the entire conference.

I'm trying to think - has there ever been a division in a major athletics named with a plural noun ("legends") rather than an adjective ("western", "atlantic")?
    True, maybe they should switch to "legendary" and "leading," that would be loads better

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    For basketball, the "Leaders" are far better than the "Legends" with only MSU being a solid team in their division historically. While the other division has IL, IN, Ohio St, WI, and Purdue. I guess it doesn't really matter if it's lopsided for b-ball though...much like how the SEC is this year. SEC West is pathetic.
    There are no divisions in basketball. The divisions are only for football.