Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    Meh, to use a more recent comparison, Seth Curry was used at a similar amount (more shots, less possessions) at Liberty in his freshman year. He still was efficient, unlike Carter, because he didn't turn the ball over, and his shooting, while not good, wasn't BAD. Curry was just as focused on, if not more than Carter, and shot 34.7% from 3 (bad) and 48.8% from 2 (not good). Carter shot 32% from 3 (bad) and 42.9% from 2 (Awful).

I'm not asking every transfer to be Seth Curry, but I'm just saying the volume shooting doesn't fully explain his bad #s
    Carter might have faced a slightly better level of competition in the Big East than Curry did in the Big South, no?

Also, Curry averaged 2.3 turnovers at Liberty. Eli was 2.8 at Rutgers. Like, Curry had higher efficiency ratings, but it's not like night and day here.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Not going to happen.
    DITTO; not happening. Too many varibles too contend with.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Carter might have faced a slightly better level of competition in the Big East than Curry did in the Big South, no?

Also, Curry averaged 2.3 turnovers at Liberty. Eli was 2.8 at Rutgers. Like, Curry had higher efficiency ratings, but it's not like night and day here.
    That's not a small difference - though you're correct that Curry had worse competition...but i'd bet defenders focused more upon Curry at Liberty - they literally had no other threats - than Carter at rutgers.

Regardless, without a clear fit for him, he's not the caliber of player that Duke would make room for.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    DITTO; not happening. Too many varibles too contend with.
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    That's not a small difference - though you're correct that Curry had worse competition...but i'd bet defenders focused more upon Curry at Liberty - they literally had no other threats - than Carter at rutgers.

Regardless, without a clear fit for him, he's not the caliber of player that Duke would make room for.
    Are you re having the same problem I am having? We will have 11 really good players (proven and potential) next year. We usually have a rotation that is only 7-8 deep.

What is the problem for which adding yet another player is the solution?

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    We will have 11 really good players (proven and potential) next year.
    Which of our 12 recruited scholarship players next year do you not consider to be "really good"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Which of our 12 recruited scholarship players next year do you not consider to be "really good"?
    You Dukies act so superior with your higher math skills (counting beyond 10)

There's another variable here. Duke currently has 12 scholarships allocated for next year (not counting Zafirovski). Duke clearly is interested in Tarick Black, who would use up the final scholarship. So, if Black comes aboard, there isn't any room for Carter.

Unless someone bails.

And for the record, Carter would still count towards the 13-scholarship limit, even if he sat out a season.

None. I just can't count. -- sage

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    There's another variable here. Duke currently has 12 scholarships allocated for next year (not counting Zafirovski). Duke clearly is interested in Tarick Black, who would use up the final scholarship. So, if Black comes aboard, there isn't any room for Carter.

Unless someone bails.

And for the record, Carter would still count towards the 13-scholarship limit, even if he sat out a season.
    This is the biggest reason that I don't see Carter as a fit. There is more of a need at C (especially if Marshall's foot surgery delays his development) than there is at SG. And even next year, there's the potential that SG is not on our list of needs (if Sulaimon and/or Jones stick around).

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    (if Sulaimon and/or Jones stick around).
    Why wouldn't Jones stick around?

Why wouldn't Jones stick around?
    In this day and age, you should never assume that any player will be around for more than the next season. They can go for any reason, even in spite of clear availability of playing time (see Gbinije, Purvis).

I'd certainly expect Jones to be back, but I wouldn't bet anything of value on it. Just the reality of college basketball these days.

But yes, Sulaimon is probably the more questionable returnee.

Well

I mean, if we are trying to transfer in guards for 2014-15, Trevor Lacey is the most talented of the pool...
    Not sure if he's a Duke fit, though.

But I'm of the mind we should not be looking at transferring in guards at all. A Jones/Jones (nickname ideas, anyone?) back-court for 2014-15 would make me very happy. heck, even if we lose Hood and Parker, I'm liking Murphy and AJ as our Forwards and a healthy Marshall as our 5. And that's before we even talk about the rest of the potential recruits.

Before the Marshall injury news, I didn't even want us looking at Black, but now I may be coming around.
    So, given Marshall's injury and expected depletion of summer development time, is this when people start bringing up the idea of a 6th year for him and the second medical redshirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    So, given Marshall's injury and expected depletion of summer development time, is this when people start bringing up the idea of a 6th year for him and the second medical redshirt?
    You mean for next year? I can't imagine that we could justify that with the NCAA. And he isn't eligible for a medical redshirt for this past season.

A sixth year/second redshirt would likely be granted only if the first redshirt were the result of an injury.

Which is not the case with Marshall.

I mean, if we are trying to transfer in guards for 2014-15, Trevor Lacey is the most talented of the pool...
    Not sure if he's a Duke fit, though.

But I'm of the mind we should not be looking at transferring in guards at all. A Jones/Jones (nickname ideas, anyone?) back-court for 2014-15 would make me very happy. heck, even if we lose Hood and Parker, I'm liking Murphy and AJ as our Forwards and a healthy Marshall as our 5. And that's before we even talk about the rest of the potential recruits.

Before the Marshall injury news, I didn't even want us looking at Black, but now I may be coming around.

But I'm of the mind we should not be looking at transferring in guards at all. A Jones/Jones (nickname ideas, anyone?) back-court for 2014-15 would make me very happy.
    I'm a huuuuuge Tyus Jones fan, and think he's going to be a great college player, and really, really want him for this program. But a Cook-Sulaimon backcourt for 2014-15 would make me pretty happy too.

So, obviously he'll never play in the ACC in any event (unless at Pitt).

"The schools that I am considering are Maryland, Florida, Memphis, Creighton, Buffalo & Pittsburgh !!"
    2:54 a.m. Thu, Apr 25

Up kinda late on a school night, no? Buffalo - isn't that Bobby Hurley's school?
    (Aside Q: how many Buffalo's are there? I know there is a SUNY Buffalo, but is there a separate U of Buffalo? And which has Hurley?)

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Buffalo - isn't that Bobby Hurley's school?
    (Aside Q: how many Buffalo's are there? I know there is a SUNY Buffalo, but is there a separate U of Buffalo? And which has Hurley?)
    It is one school, the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, and Bobby Hurley is their coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    It is one school, the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York, and Bobby Hurley is their coach.
    I would love for Hurley to have some talent to work with.

One would think the Allen committment closes the door on whatever interest Duke had with Carter.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I would love for Hurley to have some talent to work with.

One would think the Allen committment closes the door on whatever interest Duke had with Carter.
    I'd think so too. As I said, I never saw Carter as a fit. But I would have welcomed the chance to be proven wrong given Carter's proven scoring acumen, flair for the dramatic and ability to contribute right away. (I would have to think he'd have an immediate leg up in both areas on Grayson Allen.) But you can't have everything.

I'm with you, I hope Hurley gets him. Doesn't seem likely, but still.

I find the presence of Florida on his list interesting. They took Rosario from Rutgers previously. And they've seen Carter at his best, he scored 31 in a home win over Florida two years ago.