Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I think Dukewarhead makes a pretty good point. I know this thread was started on the Off Topic board. I think it should've remained there. It is clearly off the topic of college basketball. People who frequent this board are generally pretty intelligent. So when something like this bombing happens, they should be able to figure out that it would be discussed on the Off Topic board; so I don't understand the idea of "bringing the thread more traffic" by placing it on the EK board.

I would further argue that if the thread had stayed on the Off Topic board, posters who were interested in discussing the incident and its aftermath would've easily been able to find it, and those who only come here to discuss college basketball and its tangents would not have had to see it. I know the moderator had good intentions, but I think it was the wrong move.
    I see your point, but is "having to see" this thread such a big problem? Its subject is clearly identified and people who don't want to read about it don't have to click on it.

This topic is important

I stated earlier about this situation and made a comment about Ricin. I think this topic is very vital, since we have issues. Since 9/11 NYS failed all over the place. All government agencies did not do their job back then. They all failed. From FEMA and on down . All Fed Response as well! I am impressed with our evolving system. The FBI is on the money. Homeland Security needs work still. The Ricin mailings were caught that was nice. During 9/11 anthrax was sent all over, and was not very helpful it killed many. Our EMS was at a lag for these things back then. I was impressed with Boston Trauma and their response. And Fed response now!
    Make this short, we have a lot of people that do not like us. They use the quick and most devastating way to put us to sleep!
    Very happy for Boston today!
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    I see your point, but is "having to see" this thread such a big problem? Its subject is clearly identified and people who don't want to read about it don't have to click on it.
    I agree with you that it's not a huge problem.

My original post probably stemmed more from the fact that I'm a moderator at another sports site. We have noticed that when topics like this are started on the regular boards, there is a tendency for the discussion to sometimes suddenly devolve into a political shouting match. We try very hard to keep those sorts of discussions away from the sports discussions. So we set up a separate board specifically for "Politics and Religion." I'm one of only three mods who actually moderate in that section of the forum. It takes some dedication and a steady hand.

So maybe I was just extrapolating from a model that has worked well for us at the other site. It intuitively makes sense, too. But I trust the mods here to do their job and I'm not trying to step on any toes.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Now that we know that one brother was a naturalized citizen and the other a permanent resident, which means they are extensively documented in Fed databases, am I the only one who finds it odd that the pictures were released to the public? The Feds have sophisticated photo recognition technology that should have delineated subject 2(white hat) into a manageable pool of candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Now that we know that one brother was a naturalized citizen and the other a permanent resident, which means they are extensively documented in Fed databases, am I the only one who finds it odd that the pictures were released to the public? The Feds have sophisticated photo recognition technology that should have delineated subject 2(white hat) into a manageable pool of candidates.
    No, I am not surprised. The FBI and others had the photos for a day or more -- did not make an ID -- then released to public -- et voila!

Something similar happened in the case of the DC sniper. The cops (finally -- remember the "white van" fales ID) had a good description of the vehicle and its license plate. They looked for it for 12 hours or more, then released it to the public (actually it was a leak just ahead of an intended release). A trucker or other citizen reported the car at a rest area off of I27-/I-70 in Maryland.

sagegrouse

A person they think is suspect is on a boat in the backyard of a house in Watertown. Going to knock it over with an armored car. Stay tuned.

My original post probably stemmed more from the fact that I'm a moderator at another sports site. We have noticed that when topics like this are started on the regular boards, there is a tendency for the discussion to sometimes suddenly devolve into a political shouting match. We try very hard to keep those sorts of discussions away from the sports discussions. So we set up a separate board specifically for "Politics and Religion." I'm one of only three mods who actually moderate in that section of the forum. It takes some dedication and a steady hand.

So maybe I was just extrapolating from a model that has worked well for us at the other site. It intuitively makes sense, too. But I trust the mods here to do their job and I'm not trying to step on any toes.
    That makes sense. I have great sympathy for people who moderate internet boards, given how readily people take the opportunity to vent their spleens. One of the real pleasures of DBR is that most posters exercise fairly good self-restraint and the moderators jump in quickly when they don't.

Just a bit of clarification here for all. We used to have a Public Policy Board (PPB). We shut that down in 2009 because of the difficulties of keeping the discussions civil. I'm glad it works for other sites, but we're not interested in revisiting a separate board again. We now do not allow any kind of PPB banter on this board.

If there is a story on the main page, we usually allow it to be discussed on the EK Board. If there's a news topic that doesn't have a corresponding front page story, we'll allow a thread on the Off-Topic Board. We watch these threads carefully. We'll allow civil discussion on the topic to take place, particularly as it is an important, historic event. Many people want to discuss it with their friends, whether in real life or on their favorite message board. However, we'll shut down (and issue infractions) for any PPB type of discussions or any other normal infractions (incivility, language, rumor mongering, etc.).

Threads have titles for a reason. If you want to know more about it, click on the title and read about it. Don't click on it if it doesn't interest you (whether it's about a current event, recruiting, players in the pros, or some other topic).

I hope this clarifies a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    A person they think is suspect is on a boat in the backyard of a house in Watertown. Going to knock it over with an armored car. Stay tuned.
    Caught. Alive. No one else hurt. Great news.

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    Just a bit of clarification here for all. We used to have a Public Policy Board (PPB). We shut that down in 2009 because of the difficulties of keeping the discussions civil. I'm glad it works for other sites, but we're not interested in revisiting a separate board again. We now do not allow any kind of PPB banter on this board.

If there is a story on the main page, we usually allow it to be discussed on the EK Board. If there's a news topic that doesn't have a corresponding front page story, we'll allow a thread on the Off-Topic Board. We watch these threads carefully. We'll allow civil discussion on the topic to take place, particularly as it is an important, historic event. Many people want to discuss it with their friends, whether in real life or on their favorite message board. However, we'll shut down (and issue infractions) for any PPB type of discussions or any other normal infractions (incivility, language, rumor mongering, etc.).

Threads have titles for a reason. If you want to know more about it, click on the title and read about it. Don't click on it if it doesn't interest you (whether it's about a current event, recruiting, players in the pros, or some other topic).

I hope this clarifies a few things.
    Thanks. I think this policy works pretty well here at this particular site. That's a testament to both the regular posters and to the moderator team.

I, for one, certainly appreciate the ability to come to a board like this, where intelligent and civil discussions are the norm.

Thanks to all the board participants and to the moderators.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Caught. Alive. No one else hurt. Great news.
    Awesome news and glad they got him alive. Vital for any success at getting more details on the how's and why's of the bombings. Excellent job by all of the local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies, as well as vigilant community members who noticed the blood on the steps this morning, and the suspicious tears on the boat cover. Both community members did the right thing by immediately calling 911. All of these folks should be applauded. 4 days of hell, and the last 24 hours or so were just unreal. Major props to the many men and women in law enforcement involved in the shootout, car chase, and manhunt that began last night and finally ended tonight! Hell of a job.

Finally, mad props to the analysts that drew the assignment of reviewing thousands and thousands of video feeds and still photo's from the horrific events on Monday. I can't imagine how tiresome that must have been, yet they found their guys in 4 days! Again, hell of a job.

Thoughts and prayers to the victims and families impacted by this terrorist act, and to the residents of Massachusetts.

This felt like a Hollywood movie. Unreal. Glad that they finally caught him without any more casualties. It's a shame that it was an American citizen. Always disheartening attacked, but it adds salt when a fellow citizen is behind this.

It's far from over though. The trial will be a circus, and there are so many questions unanswered. I can't say I envy the lawyer that is going to have this case dumped on him.

Prayers go to all the families of the injured and dead. Krystle Campbell. Lu Lingzi. Martin Richard. Sean Collier. Hopefully, these names are the ones remembered. Not these guys that were out to do harm to innocents.
    Last edited by Here is a Turtle; 04-19-2013 at 11:13 PM.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    No, I am not surprised. The FBI and others had the photos for a day or more -- did not make an ID -- then released to public -- et voila!

Something similar happened in the case of the DC sniper. The cops (finally -- remember the "white van" fales ID) had a good description of the vehicle and its license plate. They looked for it for 12 hours or more, then released it to the public (actually it was a leak just ahead of an intended release). A trucker or other citizen reported the car at a rest area off of I27-/I-70 in Maryland.

sagegrouse
    Now we know that the FBI investigated the older brother in 2011 for potential involvement with radical Islam. I thought your analogy was weak to begin with but, in the aforementioned context, if the FBI really was really unable to make an ID, that's chilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Awesome news and glad they got him alive. Vital for any success at getting more details on the how's and why's of the bombings. Excellent job by all of the local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies, as well as vigilant community members who noticed the blood on the steps this morning, and the suspicious tears on the boat cover. Both community members did the right thing by immediately calling 911. All of these folks should be applauded. 4 days of hell, and the last 24 hours or so were just unreal. Major props to the many men and women in law enforcement involved in the shootout, car chase, and manhunt that began last night and finally ended tonight! Hell of a job.

Finally, mad props to the analysts that drew the assignment of reviewing thousands and thousands of video feeds and still photo's from the horrific events on Monday. I can't imagine how tiresome that must have been, yet they found their guys in 4 days! Again, hell of a job.

Thoughts and prayers to the victims and families impacted by this terrorist act, and to the residents of Massachusetts.

Indeed a great job by the vigilant community members. I wonder why law enforcement didn't inspect or notice anything suspicious about the boat during the lock down and door to door searches. (Maybe they didn't search that neigborhood?)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeCrow View Post
    Indeed a great job by the vigilant community members. I wonder why law enforcement didn't inspect or notice anything suspicious about the boat during the lock down and door to door searches. (Maybe they didn't search that neigborhood?)
    I believe that street was slightly outside of their perimeter.

I heard today on the news (sorry, can't remember who reported it), that the homeowner who spotted the suspicious stuff about the boat in his backyard actually stepped outside to smoke a cigarette.

And everyone says smokers are useless.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    I heard today on the news (sorry, can't remember who reported it), that the homeowner who spotted the suspicious stuff about the boat in his backyard actually stepped outside to smoke a cigarette.

And everyone says smokers are useless.
    The story I read is that he noticed the torn tarp, spotted some blood... and still poked his head in to investigate. As soon as I saw the blood, I think I would have been running in the other direction in a zig zag, calling 911.

Here's a story from Boston Medical Center about the status of many of the victims:

Boston Medical Center hoping for ‘mass exodus’ as amputees continue recovery at rehab hospitals

One paragraph stood out for me:

[Dr.] Kalish also said that during the past seven days, military veterans who also underwent amputations for war-related wounds have come to the hospital and walked the halls with the patients, showing them “their life is not over.’’
    I wouldn't have expected anything less, but it's still nice to read.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I believe that street was slightly outside of their perimeter.
    It doesn't appear that was the case after all.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...ip-street.html

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeCrow View Post
    It doesn't appear that was the case after all.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...ip-street.html
    In the race to put out any information first, there were a lot of "facts" reported that were later found to be either offbase or out an out false. This is just another one.

One thing about this case that remains fascinating to me is the "story" of how the older brother died. Every news source is sticking with the "died in the shootout" meme, even though the police stated they had him on the ground and were cuffing him when the younger brother drove the SUV right at them and ran over his older brother dragging him down the street. If that's true, he did not "die in the shootout", he was killed by the younger brother running him over, yet no one has stated that in the many articles I have read from most of the major news outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    In the race to put out any information first, there were a lot of "facts" reported that were later found to be either offbase or out an out false. This is just another one.

One thing about this case that remains fascinating to me is the "story" of how the older brother died. Every news source is sticking with the "died in the shootout" meme, even though the police stated they had him on the ground and were cuffing him when the younger brother drove the SUV right at them and ran over his older brother dragging him down the street. If that's true, he did not "die in the shootout", he was killed by the younger brother running him over, yet no one has stated that in the many articles I have read from most of the major news outlets.
    Agreed. The coroner has determined a cause of death, but will not release until the family claims the body as I understand it. Which is in process now.

The world of instant information requires a better internal filter. I wonder which will develop quicker.