Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    So, has anyone reported a source for the Scheyer story other than Goodman's tweet? I notice that the Chronicle blog story linked on the front page relies on this tweet and notes that, in an earlier interview they did with Scheyer, he made a joke that Coach K offered him the special assistant job (in response to a question from the Chronicle reporter). Is there any chance this isn't a real story at all but just someone's misunderstanding of the joke Scheyer made earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    So, has anyone reported a source for the Scheyer story other than Goodman's tweet? I notice that the Chronicle blog story linked on the front page relies on this tweet and notes that, in an earlier interview they did with Scheyer, he made a joke that Coach K offered him the special assistant job (in response to a question from the Chronicle reporter). Is there any chance this isn't a real story at all but just someone's misunderstanding of the joke Scheyer made earlier?
    N&O reporting that Scheyer will be joining the Duke staff.
    Last edited by Duvall; 04-15-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Scheyer

This is the first time in a long time, that I have been this pleased about an assistant coach... I loved this guy!

Quote Originally Posted by OZ View Post
    This is the first time in a long time, that I have been this pleased about an assistant coach... I loved this guy!
    Really? I thought Capel was a diamond-in-the-rough get. Scheyer will certainly be an asset, but Capel had a track record of fantastic recruiting coupled with head coaching experience.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Great, thanks for posting that! Scheyer always struck me as a future coach, and I'm glad he will have a chance to start at Duke.

The Paulus hire has been rumored but I don't think it has happened as of now. So far the only official hire Collins has made, according to the NU basketball website, is to retain assistant Tavaras Hardy.
    It's reported that he hired his old HS coach, who is on his Dad's staff at the 76ers.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...-northwestern/

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Jon was a great intangibles guy, selfless, played seemingly out of position with intelligence, and if I may say, would be the the best Game Face Coach in the business ;^0

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Got this from the Jon Scheyer Foundation website (http://jonscheyer.com) ...

0412_large.jpg

Har Har

Great, thanks for posting that! Scheyer always struck me as a future coach, and I'm glad he will have a chance to start at Duke.
    I'm pleased he will be at Duke too, and he will probably get some minutes, but I think we have way too much talent at the 1 and 2 next year for him to start. He will have to earn that role with defense and effort in practice like everyone else.

Welcome back, Jon! Go Duke!

Awesome. Count me in as another huge Scheyer fan.

I don't know if anybody but me remembers this or not, but everytime I think about the title game with Butler I remember Scheyer quite unexpectedly slam-dunking home a missed Miles Plumlee shot. Miles was mugged on the shot with no call, and as I was about to shout at the referee, Scheyer jumped up, caught the ball just outside the cylinder, and slammed it back in.

I insist that that's the bucket the got us the title.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain_Devil_91_92_01_10 View Post
    I'm pleased he will be at Duke too, and he will probably get some minutes, but I think we have way too much talent at the 1 and 2 next year for him to start. He will have to earn that role with defense and effort in practice like everyone else.

Welcome back, Jon! Go Duke!
    Can't spork you so will post to say that was awesome.

Can't spork you so will post to say that was awesome.
    Thanks. I couldn't decide whether to go with that route, or the "I hear Sulaimon is going to transfer as a result" route. Or "will K finally go 8 deep?"

Glad to know my humor is appreciated. Keep those sporks comin'and Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Awesome. Count me in as another huge Scheyer fan.

I don't know if anybody but me remembers this or not, but everytime I think about the title game with Butler I remember Scheyer quite unexpectedly slam-dunking home a missed Miles Plumlee shot. Miles was mugged on the shot with no call, and as I was about to shout at the referee, Scheyer jumped up, caught the ball just outside the cylinder, and slammed it back in.

I insist that that's the bucket the got us the title.
    Put me in the Scheyer fan club. I know that Jumbo was a huge Scheyer fan as well. I sure miss Jumbo's posts. We have/had the most knowledgable basketball fans on this site. I hope Jumbo is doing well and God bless him and his family. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Put me in the Scheyer fan club. I know that Jumbo was a huge Scheyer fan as well. I sure miss Jumbo's posts. We have/had the most knowledgable basketball fans on this site. I hope Jumbo is doing well and God bless him and his family. GoDuke!
    I echo your entire post. We need Jumbo back to counter some of the BS I see posted here - in the guise of informed opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    As fans of the Scheyer, we should call ourselves hobbits.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientPsychicT View Post

Jon Scheyer is my favorite Duke player of all time.

I don't want to ask in insensitive question but there where several refernces to Jumbo. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by AncientPsychicT View Post

Just read my post which wasn't well written. i meant to ask two things. What's the connection between Jumbo and Jon Scheyer? I also meant to inquire concerning Jumbo's status and whether he is doing well. The latter may not be my business but, in any event, I wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I would be delighted for Jon if this worked out, but I also regret that his professional career has never worked out as expected.

In the Spanish league he is only shooting 30% on two pointers, 35% on threes, and 68% on free throws, so it appears that Jon was never able to overcome the eye injury.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/pla...39?AmNotSure=1
    If people are honest, they will acknowledge that (despite many statements on this board about Scheyer's likely "draftability", while Scheyer was still playing in college), he was not drafted, and even before the eye injury, it never looked likely that he was going to make an NBA roster, let alone have a long, productive NBA career.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    If people are honest, they will acknowledge that (despite many statements on this board about Scheyer's likely "draftability", while Scheyer was still playing in college), he was not drafted, and even before the eye injury, it never looked likely that he was going to make an NBA roster, let alone have a long, productive NBA career.
    While he was probably never going to be a star or even regular starter, it is not far fetched to have thought that he might have a successful career as a bench player in the NBA. I could be wrong but I seem to remember some positive comments about him from the staff before the eye injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    Yes, it's time we were honest. All of us who have been living a lie these past few seasons and telling the world Jon Scheyer was drafted when he wasn't, it's time to come clean. Jon Scheyer went undrafted. Feels good to step out of the shadows and into the sunlight and admit it.

Seriously, guy, what is your deal? No one in this thread claimed that Scheyer was drafted. No one in this thread said he was guaranteed to have made the Association pre-injury. They only said they were sorry his playing career was cut short. Because, ah, he was a magnificent player at Duke, one of the most cheer-forable people we've ever had, and a freak injury destroyed his chances. Near as I can tell, this post of yours has nothing to do with the conversation at hand and everything to do with relitigating some dead debate or other from three years ago. And what better forum to do that than a thread welcoming a beloved former player back as a member of the coaching staff?

For those not currently ranting to an attic full of stuffed animals, Scheyer went undrafted and was picked up by the Miami Heat the year the Big Three signed. Nothing was for certain, but the Heat needed guys on minimum contracts at that time. Scheyer was getting a long look from them as a backup point guard to Chalmers when that bizarre eye thing happened. Were Jon's chances better than 50% to make the team? I have no idea. I do know, though, that they had to give serious playoff minutes to the corpse of Mike Bibby because point was such a wasteland position for them.

Jumbo and Jon Scheyer

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Just read my post which wasn't well written. i meant to ask two things. What's the connection between Jumbo and Jon Scheyer? I also meant to inquire concerning Jumbo's status and whether he is doing well. The latter may not be my business but, in any event, I wish him well.
    Jumbo was a big supporter of Scheyer early on, and was able to see past Scheyer's alarming unathleticism to realize what a wonderful player he was. I think that's all, except that Jumbo may have confessed to a man crush on Scheyer.