1 1.47%
  • The Wolverine

5 7.35%
  • Other (put name in post)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Top 5 Movies of Summer

Well, we've talked about it enough, time for you to cast your votes.

As always, you are voting on the 5 highest grossing films of the Summer. Our contest only encompasses movies released during the months of May, June, July, and August. We will begin with boxoffice on 5/1 and the contest will end either once the winner is clear or when we reach the weekend of Sept 28-29.

This is a MULTIPLE CHOICE POLL so be sure to vote for 5 films. If you vote for less than 5 and you go 3-for-3 or 4-for-4, you are disqualified from the contest. Similarly, voting for 6 will make your votes null and void as well. Your votes must be in by Tuesday April 30.

Here are the 14 "contenders," though you are always free to vote for "other" and let us know in a post which film you picked as your "other" selection. These are listed by release date.

Iron Man 3 (5/3)
    Great Gatsby (5/10)
    Star Trek: Into Darkness (5/17)
    Fast & Furious 6 (5/24)
    Hangover III (5/24)
    After Earth (6/7)
    The Internship (6/7)
    Man of Steel (6/14)
    Monsters University (6/21)
    World War Z (6/21)
    Despicable Me 2 (7/3)
    The Lone Ranger (7/3)
    Pacific Rim (7/12)
    The Wolverine (7/26)

-Jason "remember, it is no fun if you don't talk some smack about your picks, so vote and then let us all know what you voted for" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 04-08-2013 at 09:23 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I ain't gonna tell you what they are yet, but there are 3 mortal locks. I am very, very confident about a fourth film. And I have about 6 contenders for film #5... sigh. This is going to be a really tough year.

-Jason "hint, one of my mortal locks is not a sequel" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I ain't gonna tell you what they are yet, but there are 3 mortal locks. ...

-Jason "hint, one of my mortal locks is not a sequel" Evans
    Prequel? U monster!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "remember, it is no fun if you don't talk some smack about your picks, so vote and then let us all know what you voted for" Evans
    Jason, yo momma is making you tweet, for some reason.

This is a first for me: I voted early. I saw no reason to torture myself with overthinking before I made my choices. This way I can do all my overthinking in the second-guessing process.

In order of confidence:

1. Iron Man 3. It's Marvel, it's Tony Stark, it's the first weekend of May, it's automatic. You want stats?

2012: The Avengers, $207M open, $623M total.
    2010: Iron Man 2, $128M open, $312M total.
    2008: Iron Man, $98M open, $318M total.

I mean, I could be wrong, but if I am, throw out everything we know.

2. Monsters University. Pixar could make a wordless space robot movie or put rats in a gourmet kitchen and make $200M. But here you have a continuation of beloved characters, geared toward both genders and all ages, and released in summer. That leaves one film as past comparison: Toy Story 3, which opened with $110M and finished with $415M.

3. Man of Steel. When I saw the midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises, the three biggest cheers were for John Blake's middle name, Alfred's final scene in the French cafe, and the trailer for Man of Steel. I read somewhere that no one is looking at this as a Zack Snyder film, but a Christopher Nolan production. Nolan mints money. Also, this summer has only 3 superhero movies, and this one has a 5-week cushion after Iron Man and another 5-week cushion before Wolverine.

4. The Lone Ranger. I'm putting a lot of faith in Disney marketing here, which is odd, considering how much hell I gave them for mismarketing Wreck-It Ralph last year and getting lucky. I'm also presuming that Depp is a box office draw when he's not Jack Sparrow. But mostly I think people want to see an event film for July 4, and Despicable Me 2 is not the main event. (I would not pick this film if it were released a week earlier or a week later.)

5. Star Trek Into Darkness. Two films from May should make this year's top 5. I've decided that the two Memorial Day releases (Fast 6 and Hangover III) are geared toward the same audience and will weaken each other. I've been wrong about Hangover before, and am willing to be wrong about it again. Anyway, people seem to be geeking out about Star Trek, its director, its secrets, its villain, and its crew. These factors should help this film do better than the prior film, which only made $257M.

If you agree, feel free to pick the same five. But if we win, know who got there first. Believe that.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Jason, yo momma is making you tweet, for some reason.

This is a first for me: I voted early. I saw no reason to torture myself with overthinking before I made my choices. This way I can do all my overthinking in the second-guessing process.

In order of confidence:

1. Iron Man 3. It's Marvel, it's Tony Stark, it's the first weekend of May, it's automatic. You want stats?

2012: The Avengers, $207M open, $623M total.
    2010: Iron Man 2, $128M open, $312M total.
    2008: Iron Man, $98M open, $318M total.

I mean, I could be wrong, but if I am, throw out everything we know.

2. Monsters University. Pixar could make a wordless space robot movie or put rats in a gourmet kitchen and make $200M. But here you have a continuation of beloved characters, geared toward both genders and all ages, and released in summer. That leaves one film as past comparison: Toy Story 3, which opened with $110M and finished with $415M.

3. Man of Steel. When I saw the midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises, the three biggest cheers were for John Blake's middle name, Alfred's final scene in the French cafe, and the trailer for Man of Steel. I read somewhere that no one is looking at this as a Zack Snyder film, but a Christopher Nolan production. Nolan mints money. Also, this summer has only 3 superhero movies, and this one has a 5-week cushion after Iron Man and another 5-week cushion before Wolverine.

4. The Lone Ranger. I'm putting a lot of faith in Disney marketing here, which is odd, considering how much hell I gave them for mismarketing Wreck-It Ralph last year and getting lucky. I'm also presuming that Depp is a box office draw when he's not Jack Sparrow. But mostly I think people want to see an event film for July 4, and Despicable Me 2 is not the main event. (I would not pick this film if it were released a week earlier or a week later.)

5. Star Trek Into Darkness. Two films from May should make this year's top 5. I've decided that the two Memorial Day releases (Fast 6 and Hangover III) are geared toward the same audience and will weaken each other. I've been wrong about Hangover before, and am willing to be wrong about it again. Anyway, people seem to be geeking out about Star Trek, its director, its secrets, its villain, and its crew. These factors should help this film do better than the prior film, which only made $257M.

If you agree, feel free to pick the same five. But if we win, know who got there first. Believe that
    I agree on 4, as Jason said, I think most will. Iron Man is a lock. I think Monsters is the kid film that will dominate, and thus a lock. Man of Steel has the budget, the cast, the buzz and Christopher Nolan = lock. I think Star Trek is pretty much a lock as well, here the sequel guarantees an audience, and it looks good enough to capitalize.

Then the fifth movie. Lone Ranger is a great choice, it looks like it is being promoted as a Johnny Depp goofball action vehicle ala "Pirates," which could still be gold, but it might be too silly, even for the teenage boy audience. If that is possible. Is it this year's John Carter?

I went even a step farther down that path, a movie that looked so ridiculous that my first instinct was to cross it off the list. Pacific Rim. It is essentially a live action version of the Power Rangers v Godzilla. Seriously. It is humans controlling massive robots against massive monsters. And yet, it is being done seriously, and with some kick butt effects. This is right in the sweet spot for the teen age boy demographic. A late summer release makes this a real risk. I suspect the plethora of Sci-Fi flicks will tend to cancel each other out, and Hangover II has worn much of the gloss off that franchise.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I went with
    Iron Man 3
    Star Trek
    Superman
    Monsters Inc
    Despicable Me 2

#5 is tough for me. I watched the After Earth trailer, it looks ok, and you would think with Will Smith it's a winner, but add M. Knight as the director and throw in over the top special effects, I don't think so. (W.S. does not guarantee greatness, that Wild West movie sucked.)

Despicable Me is as good a bet as any I think. The first one was lots of fun, it will be a movie the whole family will go to, kids will be back for seconds, maybe parents too.

I think it is interesting that Pixar is also releasing "Planes" in August, I don't remember them releasing two Summer movies before. But since it is a spin off of their weakest movie, "Cars", I don't expect much from it. Monsters Inc is a sure fire winner though.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I think it is interesting that Pixar is also releasing "Planes" in August, I don't remember them releasing two Summer movies before.
    This is a common public misconception, like Maryland leaving the ACC this year. Pixar Studios has nothing to do with Planes. It's purely a Disney product, and they are playing up the comparison to intentionally deceive the public. (Disney owns Pixar.) "From above the World of Cars" says the trailer (and the lawyers). The film may end up being fine, but there will be families who buy tickets expecting that Pixar brand of quality. They're just not reading the fine print, and who can blame them?

my five

I always screw up in these predictions because I tend to pick films that appeal to me. I will never understand the appeal of the truly awful Transformer movies ... and I didn't laugh once during Hangover I. The Fast and Furious stuff leaves me cold. On the other hand, I was intrigued by high concept stuff like Cowboys and Aliens and by Abraham Lincoln -- Vampire Killer. Okay, they were awful films, but I still think Prometheus was the most interesting film of last summer (not the best ... that was The Avengers).

So, in honor of George Costanza and "The Opposite" episode, I'm swinging against type -- Iron Man 3 is a lock and Monster U. equally so. I also think there will be another big kid movie and Despicable Me 2 looks like the best bet. Okay, here' where I go against the grain. I can't imagine anybody going to Hangover III, so that has to be one of my other picks. I've jacked up for the new Star Trek, so I can't pick that. Man of Steel looks awful to me, so that will be the big hit. To bad there's not another Transformer movie of a Honey Boo Boo Movie or I'd have this thing locked up.

O.K. so after looking at the poll results I voted straight chalk! Like some of you I think there are 3 definite locks and most likely a fourth. I chose Despicable Me as my fifth film due to it's 4th of July weekend release and it is a reasonable couple of weeks removed from Monsters U coming out. My list:

1)Iron Man 3
    2)Man of Steel
    3)Monsters U
    4)Star Trek
    5)Despicable Me 2

Maybe this year won't be as hard as we thought. Yeah right!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

1. Iron Man 3 - probably loses some steam, but easily makes the top 5.
    2. Despicable Me 2 - Sleeper hit last time, but I think this one is even bigger.
    3. Monsters University - It's Pixar. 'nuff said.
    4. Star Trek - last one (I believe) made the top 5 as a bit of a surprise. This one will surprise no one.
    5. Hangover III - could it hold up? I think this one edges into the top 5 despite a disappointing second one.

So there it is - 5 sequels. Ugh.

I don't think Man of Steel will be that big. The last Superman movie was awful, and I don't sense there is a buzz to bring him back. Same here on Wolverine. Last movie was a disappointment to most, so I don't see people lining up for this one. I could be wrong tho.
    "There can BE only one."

Once I get past Iron Man, Monsters U, and Star Trek, there's some indecision for me about the other 2. The legit contenders I see are:

Despicable Me 2, Hangover 3, F&F6, and Man Of Steel. I trust sequels, animated flicks, and superheros these days.

Somehow I just don't think Lone Ranger is going to click, despite the Depp/Disney/Verbinski combo. Same with Wolverine, which follows a very disappointing Origins movie. The fact that Marvel is mining the awesome Frank Miller Wolverine miniseries (sort of/kind of/with massive changes) doesn't give me any reassurance after what Marvel did to the Frank Miller Daredevil/Elektra story line. Bottom line: Chris Nolan gets Frank Miller in the comics world...not sure James Mangold and Mark Bomback do (although I'm intrigued by the Chris Claremont story credit). I've lost faith in Will Smith to deliver a new movie with results, and After Earth may suffer from sci-fi overload.

I find myself feeling like the pick is 2 of the four contenders I listed above and I went with Hangover 3 and Man of Steel...but I keep feeling like maybe I should have picked Despicable Me over one of those two. Tough last 2 this year, IMHO.

Currently going between DC and Greensboro, NC
    I have Iron Man 3, Star Trek, and Monsters U as my three locks. I ended up going with Man of Steel (because of the large Superman and Christopher Nolan followings) and Despicable Me 2 (because a decent kids movie can do great repeat business). I'm a little less sold on the Lone Ranger, but that's mostly because I suspect that Depp playing a weird character is in its "diminishing returns" stage.

On a non-box office note, I'm personally very stoked about all the original sci-fi this year. I have high hopes for Elysium (especially after seeing the trailer yesterday) and Pacific Rim, and think that Oblivion could potentially turn out decent to good (though I'm far less sold on that movie). I'm less optimistic for After Earth.

Ion Man voting

Just curious,

The poll shows that 24 people have voted and that 23 have voted for Iron Man III.

I'm just curious -- not saying you're wrong, but who is the brave soul who didn't vote for Iron Man and what is your reasoning?

Again, not saying you were wrong -- it may turn out to be genius. But what are you thinking?

Lone Ranger is going to flop (in relative terms).

You heard it here first.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Just curious,

The poll shows that 24 people have voted and that 23 have voted for Iron Man III.

I'm just curious -- not saying you're wrong, but who is the brave soul who didn't vote for Iron Man and what is your reasoning?

Again, not saying you were wrong -- it may turn out to be genius. But what are you thinking?
    The nice thing about open voting is that we can figure these things out. The lone holdout was ynotme32, and so far it doesn't look like bravery. ynotme32 was either the first to vote or among the first few to vote, and picked Hangover III... and nothing else. Jason was pretty clear in his instructions about selecting exactly 5 films. Maybe he could send ynotme32 a PM message to list 5 films in a thread post before the deadline?

Looks like a my choices are a pretty popular group of 5

Iron Man 3
    Star Trek
    Man of Steel
    Monsters U
    Despicable Me 2

Iron Man I think is a pretty safe pick. I'm not in any hurry to see it, but I haven't been compelled to see the first two either. He's not a super hero that ever resonated with me in any way.

I think Star Trek is going to be really big. Bigger than the first one.

Man of Steel is the pick I'm more lukewarm about. Snyder's no sure thing. Watchmen just missed, and Sucker Punch was really, really bad. And Superman is a hard story to make compelling I think. He's too perfect.

Monsters U and Despicable Me 2 seem like safe picks. Big built in fan bases, and movies that were pretty watchable for Mom and Dad too.

I think Lone Ranger is going to be more John Carter than Pirates, and I think the Hangover magic has passed. Hangover will do well enough, but not top 5 numbers.

With a soon to be 6 and 4 year old, those are the two movies I'm most likely to see. I'll also go see World War Z. Without the kids of course. And the wife, who has no interest in zombies. Not even Brad Pitt will draw her out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    Iron Man 3

Iron Man I think is a pretty safe pick. I'm not in any hurry to see it, but I haven't been compelled to see the first two either. He's not a super hero that ever resonated with me in any way.
    You know, that's what I thought when I heard about the first one coming out, too. And then they cast Robert Downey Jr. and I was like "oh, please." But a friend invited me to go with him and RDJ just gives such life to the Tony Stark character, and the first movie (for someone who doesn't follow the comic book version of these movies) actually had a pretty compelling first two acts. The last third was hum-drum/predictable, but for a comic book movie, it was probably one of my favorites (outside Nolan's Batman movies).

34 voters so far and there is a clear consensus developing.

Iron Man 3 - 94%
    Star Trek: Into Dark - 82%
    Monster's University - 79%
    Man of Steel - 76%
    Despicable Me 2 - 68%

After that, we get a few votes for Hangover III (24%), Fast 6 (12%), Gatsby (8%), and then After Earth, Wolverine, and Lone Ranger (all at just under 6%).

I don't know much, and I have not voted yet, but I am confident those 5 top runaway vote getters will not be the Top 5 of Summer. It has never been this obvious and this year won't break that trend.

-Jason "I just gotta figure out which dark horse is gonna surprise " Evans

Was feeling that Man of Steel was going to be an eh this summer. Then I watched the new trailer, then I kicked myself for doubting the guy producing the movie. Now I'm sure it's making the top 5, probably the top 3.

Star Trek Into Darkness (no colon FYI) will be one of the twelve greatest movies in human history (I'll let you guess the other 11 )
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa