God it pains me to admit this.....like, reallyyyyyy pains me.

But I heard Laettner speak this morning on AM 790 the Zone in Atlanta and I really enjoyed hearing his thoughts, particuarly around the tough love he administered to Hurley, which tied in of course to the tough love that Ferry rendered on him as a freshman.

God I need a shower....

That's probably alright. Could be he felt like he needed one, too. Maybe if you got out of that closet more...
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I recently raised the idea of Christian joining Chris Collins' staff at Northwestern, but how perfect would it be if Christ went to work with Bobby Hurley at Buffalo? That tandem might make otherwise mundane and boring Buffalo pretty attractive for certain recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    I recently raised the idea of Christian joining Chris Collins' staff at Northwestern, but how perfect would it be if Christ went to work with Bobby Hurley at Buffalo? That tandem might make otherwise mundane and boring Buffalo pretty attractive for certain recruits.
    Laettner's a native of that area. It's not too crazy of an idea. Obviously we have no idea how either of them would feel about it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by 1999ballboy View Post
    Laettner's a native of that area. It's not too crazy of an idea. Obviously we have no idea how either of them would feel about it, though.
    Laettner is living in Florida with his wife and two daughter. "Hey, guys!" the big guy sez, "We are moving to Buffalo, New York. You'll love the snow and ice; it'll be a nice change from Florida." Hmmm... sounds like a hard sell, unless the economics are compelling.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by 1999ballboy View Post
    Good point, and it would also coincide with Laettner's comments in recent years about wanting to get into coaching. An assistant coach at the D-I level isn't a bad place to start. Personally, I would love to see it, but, as you say, we have no idea what plans Bobby has for his program.

Does anybody know who is joining Bobby at Buffalo? Any Duke guys?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Laettner is living in Florida with his wife and two daughter. "Hey, guys!" the big guy sez, "We are moving to Buffalo, New York. You'll love the snow and ice; it'll be a nice change from Florida." Hmmm... sounds like a hard sell, unless the economics are compelling.

sagegrouse
    Didn't Little Pitino just do this very thing? I bet his family wasn't too happy when he alerted them that they would be leaving Key West for the North Pole.

Besides, is Christian's personal life really going that well for him in the business world that he can't afford to uproot? It might be a good change for him.

...but how perfect would it be if Christ went to work with Bobby Hurley at Buffalo? That tandem might make otherwise mundane and boring Buffalo pretty attractive for certain recruits.

No kidding. If Hurely could get that guy on his bench, Buffalo would never lose a game.

Good point, and it would also coincide with Laettner's comments in recent years about wanting to get into coaching. An assistant coach at the D-I level isn't a bad place to start. Personally, I would love to see it, but, as you say, we have no idea what plans Bobby has for his program.

Does anybody know who is joining Bobby at Buffalo? Any Duke guys?
    After the interview with Christian, the tease was that they were interviewing Bobby next, but I pulled into work and couldn't stay in the car to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    No kidding. If Hurely could get that guy on his bench, Buffalo would never lose a game.
    I dunno, I heard he's no good in the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    No kidding. If Hurley could get that guy on his bench, Buffalo would never lose a game.
    Well played. I typically reserve using such hallowed nicknames for people such as Jesus or God Shammgod, but I seem to remember Grant Hill referring to Christian as Chris and, after perhaps subconsciously remembering his shot against Kentucky, added the T.

Well played. I typically reserve using such hallowed nicknames for people such as Jesus or God Shammgod, but I seem to remember Grant Hill referring to Christian as Chris and, after perhaps subconsciously remembering his shot against Kentucky, added the T.
    Christian also has a brother named Chris (guess his parents really like the name), so if shortening his name he needs some differentiation!

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I dunno, I heard he's no good in the paint.

Word is it he walks on water too. Probably saw how much Hansbrough got away with it on land.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    That's probably alright. Could be he felt like he needed one, too. Maybe if you got out of that closet more...

Interestingly, he also thank the guys for bringing up the Connecticut shot (he thinks it gets forgotten about) and even used the word "lucky" when describing the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetHurleyFan View Post
    Interestingly, he also thank the guys for bringing up the Connecticut shot (he thinks it gets forgotten about) and even used the word "lucky" when describing the shot.
    Well, even Christian Laettner's ego has some limits.

Didn't Little Pitino just do this very thing? I bet his family wasn't too happy when he alerted them that they would be leaving Key West for the North Pole.

Besides, is Christian's personal life really going that well for him in the business world that he can't afford to uproot? It might be a good change for him.
    If Laettner were offered a major HC job, that would be one thing. Starting as an assistant at a mid-major is something else.

sage

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Christian also has a brother named Chris (guess his parents really like the name), so if shortening his name he needs some differentiation!
    Would that be shortening like Crisco?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    If Laettner were offered a major HC job, that would be one thing. Starting as an assistant at a mid-major is something else.

sage
    Not necessarily if that's something Chris (my name is also Chris so I like the nickname) desires to do. In that scenario, starting as an assistant at a MAC school for his former Duke teammate Bobby Hurley sounds like a good in/starting point to me. As others have stated here before, it's very unlikely that he's be able to just hop on board at Duke. He's going to need some experience somewhere else first.

Again, that's if Chris even wants to pursue a career in coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Well, even Christian Laettner's ego has some limits.
    Apart from the fact that he very much enjoys celebrating his status as the most hated player in NCAA history, he's sounded generally grounded and humble in the recent interviews I've heard with him. Talks about his family and his basketball camp a lot, and occasionally mentions that he'd possibly like to coach.

Not necessarily if that's something Chris (my name is also Chris so I like the nickname) desires to do.
    I just recently watched the 1991 UNLV game on NCAA vault, and in the opening minutes of the broadcast Jim Nantz says "don't call him Chris" because of his brother Chris, and then went on to talk about how Chris was a minor league umpire. That was the first time I'd heard of Chris Laettner, and strangely I had never thought to call him "Chris" at all before that.