Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    They would get a TV deal for that game, just like these other one-off games. I'm not saying they'll do it, but we can draw 50K for our first game there, especially if it's put at a point where we are their first ever ACC game.

-blazin "I'll be there regardless" dw
    i was beat to it, but the ACC owns those games...syrauces won't get more money for putting on an "event"...they'll get the same they get for every other ACC game...so there's' no big extra bucks like there would be for the preseason extravaganzas that make paying the bucks to set the stadium up like that worth it.
    April 1

Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i was beat to it, but the ACC owns those games...syrauces won't get more money for putting on an "event"...they'll get the same they get for every other ACC game...so there's' no big extra bucks like there would be for the preseason extravaganzas that make paying the bucks to set the stadium up like that worth it.
    While you are right that the ACC owns all TV rights to all ACC games (at least they have first call on on ACC games. If the ACC elects not to televise a game, the team can market the game itself ... although for something like Duke at Syracuse, no chance the ACC passes).

However, ACC teams don't pool the home gate -- not even sure they pay the visits a flat fee. Syracuse certainly would make a lot of money by expanding to 50,000 seats for Duke's visit. That's 15,000 extra seats at what? $20 a ticket? Even $10 (because most will be bad seats) is $150,000. That's not chump change.

BTW, after the NBA early entries have been decided, I think we can get a good look at the Big 10 prospects now. Michigan State, Michigan and Ohio State loom as the top 3 teams. Pretty sure Duke draws one of them in the Challenge ... not likely to be Ohio State for third year in a row. Michigan State had a home game in last year's challenge, so they probably go on the road (at UNC? The Heels are due a home game). That makes Michigan the most likely doe for Duke, in Ann Arbor. Not 100 percent, but now the most likely matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    BTW, after the NBA early entries have been decided, I think we can get a good look at the Big 10 prospects now. Michigan State, Michigan and Ohio State loom as the top 3 teams. Pretty sure Duke draws one of them in the Challenge ... not likely to be Ohio State for third year in a row. Michigan State had a home game in last year's challenge, so they probably go on the road (at UNC? The Heels are due a home game). That makes Michigan the most likely doe for Duke, in Ann Arbor. Not 100 percent, but now the most likely matchup.
    It was reverse...MSU played at The U (loss) and Michigan hosted NC State (win). Still, I think that since we've played MSU the last 3 seasons (NCAAT this past year, Champions Classic in 2011, and ACC/B1G in 2010), Michigan is going to be our ACC/B1G opponent this year, most likely in A2.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Michigan State played at Miami last year in the challenge and Duke never returned the home game from Kyrie's year so I think Duke goes to the Izzone next year. Also, they should be the 2 highest rated teams in their conference and just played in the NCAA tourney so there is that storyline too.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    Michigan State played at Miami last year in the challenge and Duke never returned the home game from Kyrie's year so I think Duke goes to the Izzone next year. Also, they should be the 2 highest rated teams in their conference and just played in the NCAA tourney so there is that storyline too.
    And ESPN probably has a major influence on the matchups and no way they pass up Duke @ MSU with it being a S16 rematch and the whole Jabari Parker angle too.

... 15,000 extra seats at what? $20 a ticket? Even $10 (because most will be bad seats) is $150,000. That's not chump change. ...
    Plus concession sales, parking, boost to local businesses. Not insignificant. All at marginal cost.

big 10

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    To quote Homer Simpson: "Doh!"

I had a brain lock. Yes, Michigan State had a road game in last year's challenge and Michigan had a home game (they beat NC State). So I agree that the most likely matchup is Duke at Michigan State.

That means that Duke's early season schedule should include:

(1) a neutral court game with Kansas (ESPN's No. 11 preseason team)
    (2) a likely neutral court game with Arizona in the PNIT finals (ESPN's No. 5 preseason team)
    (3) a road game at Michigan State (ESPN's No. 3 preseason team).

Pretty good start ... and a pretty good test of Duke's ongoing streak of AP top 10 rankings. I'm sure Duke starts in the top 10 (ESPN currently has Duke No. 4 in preseason). We can probably survive one early season loss to a team like Kansas/Arizona/MSU and stay in the top 10, but even with such quality opponents, I would guess than two such early losses would be too much to survive. Just my gut -- I would think Duke would be a slight favorite over Kansas and Arizona (at least in MSG), but an underdog at Michigan State (even though K seems to have Izzo's number).

In the long term, of course, it wouldn't matter if Duke went 3-0 or 0-3 in those games, but I would like to make a run at UCLA's streak of consecutive top 10 rankings.

I had a brain lock. Yes, Michigan State had a road game in last year's challenge and Michigan had a home game (they beat NC State). So I agree that the most likely matchup is Duke at Michigan State.

(2) a likely neutral court game with Arizona in the PNIT finals (ESPN's No. 5 preseason team)
    (3) a road game at Michigan State (ESPN's No. 3 preseason team).

Pretty good start ... and a pretty good test of Duke's ongoing streak of AP top 10 rankings. I'm sure Duke starts in the top 10 (ESPN currently has Duke No. 4 in preseason). We can probably survive one early season loss to a team like Kansas/Arizona/MSU and stay in the top 10, but even with such quality opponents, I would guess than two such early losses would be too much to survive. Just my gut -- I would think Duke would be a slight favorite over Kansas and Arizona (at least in MSG), but an underdog at Michigan State (even though K seems to have Izzo's number).

In the long term, of course, it wouldn't matter if Duke went 3-0 or 0-3 in those games, but I would like to make a run at UCLA's streak of consecutive top 10 rankings.
    I'd predict us as the favorite in all 3 of those games, and I'd expect us to win all 3. Kansas loses A LOT going into next year and it will probably take them time to find their identity. Arizona will also be very young at key positions. And while MSU returns most of their key guys, Izzo has been known for experimenting more early in the season and turning it on in Big-10 play. Between that, Duke's tendency to always be more prepared than their opponents earlier in the season, and Coach K's edge over Izzo, I'd be somewhat surprised to see us not go 3-0. Not shocked, but somewhat surprised.

In any case, given the rebuilding nature of the Kansas team and the home-away-from-home-court edge of MSG over a young and inconsistent Arizona team, I'd expect us to do no worse than 2-1 in those 3 games.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

We will be playing Kansas in Chicago on Nov. 12th. (My birthday, woohoo!)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    We will be playing Kansas in Chicago on Nov. 12th. (My birthday, woohoo!)

Road trip and Bday party! I'm in! I'll drive!

Per Laura Kelly on twitter the ACC/Big10 challenge schedule will be coming out today

They're supposed to be announced at 2pm, but I'm hearing Syracuse will play at home against Indiana.

Edit: Also just saw where Northwestern will play NC State.

Per Laura Keeley, Michigan at Duke now seems like the safe way to bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Per Laura Keeley, Michigan at Duke now seems like the safe way to bet.
    That would be epic, and a real threat to the non-con winning streak. Bring it on!!!!!!!!

Duke hosts Michigan. UNC at MSU

matchups

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Duke hosts Michigan. UNC at MSU
    Wow, this is going to infuriate our Tar Heel friends. Duke gets two straight home games in the series ... Carolina has a second straight road game. Not only that, for the second year in a row, UNC has to go on the road against the preseason favorite in the Big Ten) as good as Michigan is going to be, there's no question that Michigan State is going to the Big Ten favorites.

I really don't understand it -- it makes more sense for Duke to play at Michigan State and for UNC and Michigan to meet.

But it's going to be fun to watch them squeal.

Wow, this is going to infuriate our Tar Heel friends. ...

But it's going to be fun to watch them squeal.
    neutered rams bleat.

with a drawl.

without spilling a drop of their box Chardonnay.

Home games

Just wanted to point out that this will be Duke's sixth home game in the Challenge ... UNC has also played six home games, so this season will even them up.

If you include home-neutral (both Duke and UNC have played in Greensboro), they Duke has played seven at home/home-neutral and UNC has played seven ... this year will give Duke one more favoriable game -- which I assume will be evened out next year.

The twitterverse is saying that Duke and UCLA are close to finalizing a deal to play at MSG in late December. That will make 4 total games in NY this coming season including the 2 NIT Season Tip-Off games (assuming Duke makes it to MSG - isn't this the tourney where Virginia didn't make it because they lost at home to ODU?) and at Syracuse.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Wow, this is going to infuriate our Tar Heel friends. Duke gets two straight home games in the series ... Carolina has a second straight road game. Not only that, for the second year in a row, UNC has to go on the road against the preseason favorite in the Big Ten) as good as Michigan is going to be, there's no question that Michigan State is going to the Big Ten favorites.
    The Blue Devils are the first ACC team to have two sets of back-to-back home games in the series, which began in 1999. Duke hosted and beat Indiana 54-51 in 2006 and defeated Wisconsin at Cameron Indoor Stadium, 82-58, in 2007. Last year, Duke hosted and defeated Ohio State 73-68, thanks in large part to 17-second half points from Rasheed Sulaimon.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/dukeno...g-10-challenge

Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."