Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

2013-2014 Schedule

Does anyone have any information regarding the 2013-2014 Duke men's basketball schedule? Any confirmed preseason tournaments or out of conference opponents that Duke is for sure playing? Thanks!

Schedule building is my favorite thread of the off-season. To date, all I know for certain is that we'll be playing Kansas in the United Center in November as part of the Champions Classic. This is the last of the three-year series, and I for one very much hope it renews - there have been some good early season games among Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and MSU.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Schedule building is my favorite thread of the off-season. To date, all I know for certain is that we'll be playing Kansas in the United Center in November as part of the Champions Classic. This is the last of the three-year series, and I for one very much hope it renews - there have been some good early season games among Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and MSU.
    I too love the Champions Classic. I went to the games in MSG and Atlanta and plan on heading to Chicago this year. I wonder if they will keep it with the same teams (and maybe new venues) or if they switch up the lineup a bit. I also wonder if this is the year we'll return to the P-NIT for our early season tournament.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I too love the Champions Classic. I went to the games in MSG and Atlanta and plan on heading to Chicago this year. I wonder if they will keep it with the same teams (and maybe new venues) or if they switch up the lineup a bit. I also wonder if this is the year we'll return to the P-NIT for our early season tournament.
    Could also be the Coaches vs. Cancer, which is (I believe) lined up to be in the Barclays Center again.

We don't know what pre-season tourney we are in yet, right?

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    We don't know what pre-season tourney we are in yet, right?
    Don't believe so. I know we're not in Maui (Syracuse) and we're not going back to the Bahamas (Wake). Among the other preseason tourneys, we're not in the Old Spice (no ACC teams this year), Charleston (Clemson), or Anaheim (Miami) Classics, not in the PR Tip-Off (Florida State), and almost certainly not in the Diamond Head Classic (one open spot, and no ACC teams yet, but a very weak field). CBE Classic (the one in Kansas City) has announced hosts and we're not playing there. PNIT and Coaches v. Cancer have not announced any participants yet - smart money is on one of those. It's also possible, but I think unlikely, that we could end up in one of the Las Vegas tournaments.

Don't believe so. I know we're not in Maui (Syracuse) and we're not going back to the Bahamas (Wake). Among the other preseason tourneys, we're not in the Old Spice (no ACC teams this year), Charleston (Clemson), or Anaheim (Miami) Classics, not in the PR Tip-Off (Florida State), and almost certainly not in the Diamond Head Classic (one open spot, and no ACC teams yet, but a very weak field). CBE Classic (the one in Kansas City) has announced hosts and we're not playing there. PNIT and Coaches v. Cancer have not announced any participants yet - smart money is on one of those. It's also possible, but I think unlikely, that we could end up in one of the Las Vegas tournaments.
    Hasn't the Preseason NIT had trouble pulling quality teams the last few years? Would be cool to be in a Vegas tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Hasn't the Preseason NIT had trouble pulling quality teams the last few years? Would be cool to be in a Vegas tourney.
    The talk from some people in the know during the battle for atlantis was MSG in November. That would lend itself to the Preseason NIT.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    The talk from some people in the know during the battle for atlantis was MSG in November. That would lend itself to the Preseason NIT.
    According to this guy, who tracks the scheduling of the early season tournaments, http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/20...nts-events-MTE, the Coaches vs. Cancer spots at the Barclays Center have been taken, and most of the other major pre-season events either have been filled or announced partial fields weak enough we wouldn't want to be part of them.

It would seem to confirm the above post that our most likely destinations are the PNIT in MSG or one of the Las Vegas events.

And the linked page reports that the major teams other than us who do not yet have plans for an early season tournament include Arizona, Kentucky, Florida, Cincy, Illinois, UCLA and Oregon.

Would be great to see a stacked PNIT field of, say, us, Arizona, either Kentucky or Florida, and Illinois or Cincy.

I am also hoping for the PNIT. Probably my second favorite tourney behind Maui.

We will also most likely be hosting Davidson and Temple since we played them on the road last year. Also we will be playing a road game in the acc/big 10 challenge assuming it is still around. I am thinking maybe Indiana or Michigan.

If Duke really wants to impress next year's Selection Committee, they should skip any tournaments that could lead to exciting nonconference matchups and schedule True Road Games against the bottom half of the West Coast Conference. That's where the real action is.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    If Duke really wants to impress next year's Selection Committee, they should skip any tournaments that could lead to exciting nonconference matchups and schedule True Road Games against the bottom half of the West Coast Conference. That's where the real action is.
    I can't give you sporks again yet but wanted to say that I loved this snark. I don't think the team would mind a December California tour with games against Pepperdine, Loyola Marymount and San Diego either. It does seem to be the best way to assure yourself a #1 seed
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    According to this guy, who tracks the scheduling of the early season tournaments, http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/20...nts-events-MTE, the Coaches vs. Cancer spots at the Barclays Center have been taken, and most of the other major pre-season events either have been filled or announced partial fields weak enough we wouldn't want to be part of them.

It would seem to confirm the above post that our most likely destinations are the PNIT in MSG or one of the Las Vegas events.

And the linked page reports that the major teams other than us who do not yet have plans for an early season tournament include Arizona, Kentucky, Florida, Cincy, Illinois, UCLA and Oregon.

Would be great to see a stacked PNIT field of, say, us, Arizona, either Kentucky or Florida, and Illinois or Cincy.
    First off, that site is amazing. Second, it looks like as of now, at least, he has Arizona slotted into one of the PNIT spots. Would love a matchup with 'Zona in the Garden in November. Third, what in the world is Virginia doing playing in the Corpus Cristi Classic with the likes of SMU, Missouri State, and Texas A&M. Ugh. Fourth, seeing "Connecticut Huskies (AAC)" makes me chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I can't give you sporks again yet but wanted to say that I loved this snark. I don't think the team would mind a December California tour with games against Pepperdine, Loyola Marymount and San Diego either. It does seem to be the best way to assure yourself a #1 seed
    Gosh and what if we miraculously beat one of those teams-we'd be odds on favorites to win the whole thing.

Any other matchups we know?

So other than the champions classic and a preseason tourney, what other matchups are set from previous deals?

Obviously the B10/ACC will be happening and we'll be on the road - possibly Indiana, Michigan or even Maryland

As the offseason rolls along, local papers from our opponents' towns will usually write about how so and so will play Duke next year so thats usually our best source of info unless someone else out there gets word.

Quote Originally Posted by HCheek37 View Post
    So other than the champions classic and a preseason tourney, what other matchups are set from previous deals?

Obviously the B10/ACC will be happening and we'll be on the road - possibly Indiana, Michigan or even Maryland

As the offseason rolls along, local papers from our opponents' towns will usually write about how so and so will play Duke next year so thats usually our best source of info unless someone else out there gets word.
    Maryland is in the ACC next year.

Schedule building is my favorite thread of the off-season. To date, all I know for certain is that we'll be playing Kansas in the United Center in November as part of the Champions Classic. ...
    Playing in Jabari's hometown in his final season with the team?

Alaskan Shootout FTW! /sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by HCheek37 View Post

Obviously the B10/ACC will be happening and we'll be on the road - possibly Indiana, Michigan or even Maryland.

Unless they change things up (which has happened sometimes in the past, but not too often) as far as giving teams two straight home or road games in the Challenge, both Michigan and Indiana would be slated for road games next year, as would we.

So, it seems more likely we would play at either Ohio St., Minnesota or, I think most likely, Michigan St., which are the top Big Ten teams in line for home games next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Alaskan Shootout FTW! /sarcasm
    That's a once great tournament that has fallen on some seriously hard times. We won in 1995 (over Ray Allen's UConn Huskies) and lost in 1998 (Cincinnati) and 2003 (Purdue).