Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Care to revise that?

Amazing game in DC tonight. Nats up 4-0 and Detwiler in total control. Braves close to 4-2 going into the ninth. Storen on the mound to close. With the bases loaded and two outs, Justin Upton at the plate, bounces one deep to third ... Zimmerman fields and throws wildly to second -- allowing two runs to score.

Braves win 6-4 in the 10th on a homer by Pena.

That makes Atlanta 9-1 on the season ... Washington 7-3.
    With my Metsies right behind at 6-4 after thumping the Twins last night. Fun while it lasts, at least. And Matt Harvey going tonight. (When did John Buck become Johnny Bench?)

A nice little winning streak for the 5-5 Phillies. Hopefully, they can win 2 more against the awful Marlins.

You don't see a a 4-6-5-6-5-3-4 triple play everyday.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

triple play

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Saw that live of MLB Extra Innings ... just some horrible base running by the Orioles. That should have been a simple 4-6-3 double play, leaving a man on third with two outs. But the runner on second ... I don't know what he was doing ... I think maybe the ball was hit so hard (one one-hop liner to second) that he froze for a second, thinking that the ball was caught in the air. But the real blame belongs to the batter. When he sees the runner caught in a rundown between second and third, he can't decide whether to stay safely at first or go to second -- and he gets caught in between.

Lot of miscues in that game. Kevin Youkilis ran the Yankees out of a run early.

And, of course, the three winning runs score when gold glove outfielder Adam Jones drops Vernon Wells blast to center -- not an easy play, but Jones had it in his glove.

Braves agaiub

It's amazing to me that the Braves keep winning with two key guys out (Freeman and McCann) and three key guys punchless -- Uggla is hitting.189; BJ Upton is at .105 and Jason Heyward is .089 -- heck, he can't even see the Mendoza line from there.

Yet, Atlanta is 10-1 and now has a three-game lead on the Nats after Hudson outdueled Strasberg today. Actually, Strasburg had bad luck -- a throwing error by Zimmerman (his second key throwing error in the series) kept an inning alive and Gattis tomahawked a pitch at shoulder level out of the park for a two-run homer. Both runs were unearned -- Strasburg is now 1-2 with a 2.95 ERA.

Final game of the three-game set Sunday afternoon ...

Matt Harvey now 3-0. Takes a no-no 6 2/3 innings. Stats unbelievable now. In 22 innings this season, Harvey has allowed six hits and six walks with 25 strikeouts. ERA of 0.82.

Gives this suffering Mets fan a little hope for the future. Taking each little (and probably brief) success as it comes.

I absolutely do have respect for the suffering Mets fans. Been there, done that in the D.

And by the way, I think Torii Hunter hasn't stopped smiling since his done the Olde English D....

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Actually, you don't see it ever, unless you were at Yankee Stadium on Friday night (which I was). That was the first triple play of its kind ever in MLB. How many people can go to a baseball game and say they saw something that never happened before in the history of the game? Pretty cool.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

sweep!

When did Paul Maholn become Tom Glavine?

After eight shutout innings today in Washington, the Pirate reject is now 3-0 with an 0.00 era (over 20.1 innings).

And Justin Upton continues to be the hottest hitter in the NL.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

After eight shutout innings today in Washington, the Pirate reject is now 3-0 with an 0.00 era (over 20.1 innings).

Ugh. The Nats' defense was awful, the bullpen dreadful, the hitting missed, and the starters were just mediocre. The Braves are better at just about every facet of the game right now. I don't think this will continue, as too much of what we are seeing from the Nats is inconsistent with previous performance, but it's not much fun right now. Cincinnati and Atlanta have shown the Nats what a playoff-bound team looks like, and right now, the Nats aren't in the same picture.

Here's hoping that a trip to Miami will help straighten things out.

As an aside, how much does it suck to be Wilson Ramos? First, you get kidnapped and held for ransom in your own country. Then, you get rescued and get to resume your major league career with a team that looks red-hot and makes their first playoff run ever, but you blow out your knee in May. Then, you rehab and return the next year looking better than ever, but you pull a hamstring running out a ground ball. On the 15-day DL. This guys deserves a major break, and by all accounts, he's a great guy...
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

The second hottest? El Oso Blanco.

10 straight

Where are the Braves fans?

10 straight and going for No. 11 in a row today at noon?

Signs of life last night from Jason Heyward and Dan Uggla. Now if we can only get BJ Upton hot ...

Off to Shea (oops...Citi) to see my Metsies v. the Nats. A highlight pitching matchup: Strasburg and Harvey. Coming off a disaster series at the Rockies, maybe we get it together...

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Off to Shea (oops...Citi) to see my Metsies v. the Nats. A highlight pitching matchup: Strasburg and Harvey. Coming off a disaster series at the Rockies, maybe we get it together...
    Harvey outpitches Strasburg tonight. Gives up four hits, one run in 7 innings (increases his ERA to 0.93!) Escapes a base loaded, no out seventh with only one run. Nice to have a feeling that you can win whenever he takes the mound.

Two HRs each for Ike and Lucas. Ike is incomprehensible. Hitting nothing (.146), strikes out the first two times at bat looking bad, and then hits two HRs in next two ABs (one v Strasburg).

Heading back to Citi tomorrow. Hope to see another win (Gio going for Nats Tmw v. Hefner)

This may a fun year after all.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Harvey outpitches Strasburg tonight. Gives up four hits, one run in 7 innings (increases his ERA to 0.93!) Escapes a base loaded, no out seventh with only one run. Nice to have a feeling that you can win whenever he takes the mound.

Two HRs each for Ike and Lucas. Ike is incomprehensible. Hitting nothing (.146), strikes out the first two times at bat looking bad, and then hits two HRs in next two ABs (one v Strasburg).

Heading back to Citi tomorrow. Hope to see another win (Gio going for Nats Tmw v. Hefner)

This may a fun year after all.
    Don't count on tonight's results making your season fun. Right now, the Nats are losing to everyone, including the Marlins...
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Don't count on tonight's results making your season fun. Right now, the Nats are losing to everyone, including the Marlins...
    JB, for Mets fans, every win makes it fun...since they will probably come less than one out of every two games. We have to enjoy them as they come -- regardless of the opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    The Nats will pull up out of the rough patch. But darn that Sports Illustrated picture magazine cover story! Troubling results for Zimmerman on 3rd though.

Got my tix in hand for the Tigs @ Nats in May. BOTH nights! I'll be the gorgeous girl waving the Olde English D flag.

The Phillies better start playing better soon if they want a Wild Card. The offense, which had a great start to the season is now in a big slump. Conversely, the pitching is now solid. We need both at one time to be successful.

Don't look now, but the Braves have the best record (15-5) and the best run differential (+42) in Major League Baseball.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Don't look now, but the Braves have the best record (15-5) and the best run differential (+42) in Major League Baseball.
    Yep, but although the Nationals are having trouble on the field, I was pleased to see the Rockies score two with two out in the bottom of the ninth and then win in the 11th inning against the Braves. Maybe it quit snowing in Colorado and the Rockies got invigorated.

sagegrouse