Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Brian Roberts

In the mid 2000s, Brian Roberts was one of the top lead-off hitters in baseball. He hasn't played a full season since 2009. After battling concussions and other injuries, B-Rob had finally made it back to the big leagues. Here's a great article that was written about him a few weeks ago.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/b...ly-over-032513

Unfortunately, B-Rob went down last night with a hamstring injury - stealing a base in the 9th inning of the 3rd game of the season. Brian had to be carried off the field and is likely to be placed back on the DL. It was tough to watch, just seeing his face as he was being carried off. I feel so bad for him.

Here's to a good recovery and hoping that this is the last injury for B-Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    On the other hand, Andy Pettite looked like he was 28 years old Thursday night, allowing one run in eight innings against the Red Sox. Good to get the win, but a little scary in that our two pitchers were a combined 83 years old.
    I thought Andy was 83 all by himself.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    As a Reds(season ticket holder while I lived there) and Dodgers(from my youth) fan, I am quite happy that several of the Northeast corridor teams are less than good this year. There is a lot going on in baseball away from there that should be celebrated.

I'm just waiting for them to address the Marlins situation.
    Well, your Cincinnati Reds are handing it to my Nationals tonight. Good grief! It's 14-0, and we're still in the top of the 8th. I lost count how many HRs the Reds have hit.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Well, your Cincinnati Reds are handing it to my Nationals tonight. Good grief! It's 14-0, and we're still in the top of the 8th. I lost count how many HRs the Reds have hit.
    With the Nats loss last night, it is now official that no team will go 162-0 this season, dashing the hopes of every Nats fan I know.

And, speaking as a Braves fan, I just want to point out that the loss, combined with Atlanta's win over the Cubbies, brings the Braves Magic Number for clinching the NL East down to 159.

-Jason "as advertised, my Bravos are hitting dingers and striking out at an alarming rate" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason "as advertised, my Bravos are hitting dingers and striking out at an alarming rate" Evans
    Except when you run into Cliff Lee. It is OK, you got the other two (and we blue one against KC).

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    With the Nats loss last night, it is now official that no team will go 162-0 this season, dashing the hopes of every Nats fan I know.

And, speaking as a Braves fan, I just want to point out that the loss, combined with Atlanta's win over the Cubbies, brings the Braves Magic Number for clinching the NL East down to 159.

This may be only funny for Nats fans, but I was watching the opening day game and laughed at a comment on the broadcast. Harper hit two home runs in his first two plate appearances. As he's coming up to bat the second time, F.P. Santangelo (the Nats' color guy) says, "Here's Bryce Harper, who is on pace to hit 600 home runs this year." As Harper was rounding the bases for the second time, F.P. says, "Uh, I was just kidding about the 600 home runs, folks."

It's fun looking forward to a season with so much optimism. I'm sure something will come around to dampen it. The first series against the Marlins didn't do it, though. If Cincy smacks the Nats around again today, perhaps the optimism will become tinged with a little more realism.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    ...F.P. says, "Uh, I was just kidding about the 600 home runs, folks."
    Any tried and true, crusty, grimly realistic, soul-damaged, black and blue baseball fan understands the magic needed to pull the whole shebang off.

While I am pleased to see the Nats have good expectations, plus the TIGERS are coming to town this summer () I was deeply alarmed when I saw the cover of SI declaring them the favorites for the crown. Quick! Somebody call a witch doctor and remove the curse!!!

So, uh, why didn't the Diamondbacks want three years of a reasonably-priced Justin Upton again?

Aces trumped

Wow, Sunday was a nightmare for some of baseball's best pitchers.

The two defending Cy Young winners -- David Price and RA Dickey -- were both bombed. So was Matt Cain. Jason Verlander wasn't exactly rocked, but he was beaten by the No. 9 man in the Yankees' Triple A lineup. Steven Strasberg was beaten by the Reds. Jered Weaver was beaten by the Rangers. Cole Hamels was rocked by the Royals. Jason Hammel was beaten by the Twins.

Those are all legitimate aces.

I'd be worried if I was the Blue Jays. I know it's early, but Dickey has been horrible in two starts. Then, I did overreact to CC Sabathia's horrible opening day start. As bad as he looked in the opener, he was dominating in his second outing, blanking the Tigers for seven innings.

Interesting for all the hype and hysteria in Washington over their fast start -- and Harper's 600 home run pace -- the Braves are now in first in the division and Justin Upton is now leading the NL home run race.

Believe me, I understand what a small sample size we have ... just putting it out there today while I can to counter the Nats' woofing after the first couple of games. Now that I think about it, Atlanta-Washington might turn into a pretty good rivalry this season. And since we have plenty of fans of both on this forum, it should be an interesting year.

Wow, Sunday was a nightmare for some of baseball's best pitchers.
    And A's near ace, Brett Anderson, while striking out 10, gets hit on his pitching thumb. Toughs it out and stays in the game. Later, reaches for a ball barehanded which hits him in the wrist. Dumb. Has to be removed an inning later. Fortunately, they say, nothing serious.

Also of concern, right fielder Josh Reddick slid into a side wall tracking down a foul, but sprained his wrist as tried to brace himself for the impact. He had to leave the game. Media News Group article.

X-rays on both show nothing broken. Anderson might miss a start; Reddick definitely will be held out for a day or two. Dodged a bullet both times.

My Metsies still surprising...7-2 tonite over the Phils behind Matt Harvey. Still early, but boy does he look great so far in his brief career. Showing poise, attitude and skills. A will to win. You get the feeling that you always have a good chance to win when he's pitching, AND dare I say it, in that regard, he reminds me a lot of no. 41 when he was on the mound at Shea.

As I said, still very early in the season, but I'd like to be competitive in 2013-a year most have written off, waiting for 2014 when the youngsters like Wheeler and d'Arnaud join the roster and play a major role (although we may see them in June). We'll see, but fun in these early weeks of the season.

The worst ball/strike call EVER

I don't know if anybody else saw the end of the Texas-Tampa Bay game Monday night.

Texas up one run with two outs in the ninth. Joe Nathan on the mound, trying for his 300th career save. Nathan has already made a hash of things, giving up one run with the tying run on first. He has a 3-2 pitch to Ben Zobrist who owns him (4-for-5 for his career with two HRs).

The 3-2 pitch is low and away -- in the dirt and well off the plate.

Homeplate ump Marty Foster called it strike three and the game was over.

That description doesn't do justice to the absurdity of the call (and believe me, I have no interest in the outcome of the game ... I'm often biased, but not here). Plesac and Ripken on MLB Tonight agreed that it was the worst ball-strike call they had ever seen. Foster issued a curious statement, not admitting a mistake or apologizing, but stating "if I had it do over again, I wouldn't call it a strike."

Nathan's response: "I've had a lot of strikes called balls, so I'll take it."

I imagine there will be a followup.

In case anybody didn't see it, I don't know how to post a .gif

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...r-gif/2065979/

I was watching the game on my computer while watching the NC game. I am a Rays fan (so there is bias all over this post) but it's so frustrating. I understand it's the team's fault for letting the game come down to one strike, but there should be some repercussions for Marty for this call. Hooray for the "human element".
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 04-09-2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Added gif

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilinNYC View Post
    In case anybody didn't see it, I don't know how to post a .gif

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...r-gif/2065979/

I was watching the game on my computer while watching the NC game. I am a Rays fan (so there is bias all over this post) but it's so frustrating. I understand it's the team's fault for letting the game come down to one strike, but there should be some repercussions for Marty for this call. Hooray for the "human element".
    And here is video from MLB.com off all four broadcasts with the pitch. Every commentating crew called it ball four before strike three. I am especially proud of the Dave Wills and Andy Fried on the Rays radio call. Telling it like it is.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26132663

the greatest comedy sketch of all time

Today is the 75th anniversary of what comedian Jerry Seinfeld called "the greatest comedy sketch of all time" -- Abbott and Costello's "Who's on First?" routine. That inspired me to hit Youtube, where I found some wonderful takes on the classic routine:

First, the classic version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sShMA85pv8M

Then, there's this sequel sort of (with Billy Crystal and Jerry Seinfeld):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Jg7pvVzKk

Next, a slightly skewered take from the old Kid in the Hall (go to the 1:45 mark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDo4JeRsVE4

Being a Shakespeare fan, I like the Bard's take on the Routine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaGHVWKrcpQ

And, finally, a slightly political take on the routine with George Bush and Condi Rice (hope this doesn't hit PPP territory);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frMz9s3OLwY

In the first start of his monster contract, Zack Greinke hits Carlos Quentin, who doesn't appreciate it and charges the mound. When the dust clears, Greinke has a fractured collarbone and Matt Kemp wants to fight the entire city of San Diego.

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/vi...878826&c_id=la
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

huge series

I know it's just April and that makes it tough to read too much unto a three-game series, but I think Washington and Atlanta are going to duel all season. This first matchup -- three games this weekend in DC could set the tone for the race.

So far Atlanta is a surprising 8-1 -- the best record in baseball. But Washington is close at 6-2 after just sweeping the White Sox.

Interesting pitching matchups:

Friday (7 p.m.) Teheran against Detwiler -- Teheran struggled in his first start.
    Saturday (1 p.m.) Hudson vs. Strasburg -- a battle of aces, although Strasburg was roughed up a bit last time out
    Sunday (1:35) Maholm vs. Gonzales -- Maholm was dominant the last time although that was against the Fish ... still he's thrown 12.2 innings this year without giving up an earned run.

It's worth noting that the Nats have played a tougher schedule so far. After taking 2 of 3 from the scuffling Phillies, the Braves have swept Cubs and Marlins - two terrible teams. This series will tell us a lot. But I'm encouraged that Atlanta is rolling with almost nothing, despite missing Freeman and McCann ... and getting nothing from Heyward (.071) and BJ Upton (.103). It might be awhile on Freeman and McCann, but Heyward and BJ Upton have got to start hitting soon, right?

PS That injury last night was in Greinke's second start -- he had given up one run in 12 innings before the injury. I'm not a Dodger fan, but Carlos Quentin deserves a major punishment -- his assault was absolutely unwarranted. It's a 2-1 game in the sixth, no outs and Quentin leading off the inning. He gets plunked on the shoulder on a 3-2 pitch. There is no way that's intentional. I have no problem with going after a headhunter, but that was absolutely ridiculous -- and to knock a guy out for several months? He should be suspended.

I know it's just April and that makes it tough to read too much unto a three-game series, but I think Washington and Atlanta are going to duel all season. This first matchup -- three games this weekend in DC could set the tone for the race.

So far Atlanta is a surprising 8-1 -- the best record in baseball. But Washington is close at 6-2 after just sweeping the White Sox.

Interesting pitching matchups:

Friday (7 p.m.) Teheran against Detwiler -- Teheran struggled in his first start.
    Saturday (1 p.m.) Hudson vs. Strasburg -- a battle of aces, although Strasburg was roughed up a bit last time out
    Sunday (1:35) Maholm vs. Gonzales -- Maholm was dominant the last time although that was against the Fish ... still he's thrown 12.2 innings this year without giving up an earned run.

It's worth noting that the Nats have played a tougher schedule so far. After taking 2 of 3 from the scuffling Phillies, the Braves have swept Cubs and Marlins - two terrible teams. This series will tell us a lot. But I'm encouraged that Atlanta is rolling with almost nothing, despite missing Freeman and McCann ... and getting nothing from Heyward (.071) and BJ Upton (.103). It might be awhile on Freeman and McCann, but Heyward and BJ Upton have got to start hitting soon, right?

PS That injury last night was in Greinke's second start -- he had given up one run in 12 innings before the injury. I'm not a Dodger fan, but Carlos Quentin deserves a major punishment -- his assault was absolutely unwarranted. It's a 2-1 game in the sixth, no outs and Quentin leading off the inning. He gets plunked on the shoulder on a 3-2 pitch. There is no way that's intentional. I have no problem with going after a headhunter, but that was absolutely ridiculous -- and to knock a guy out for several months? He should be suspended.
    Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this weekend's series as a good early measuring stick for the Nats. Their bats seem to have woken up after a slow start, but the bullpen has been hit or miss so far, and it's supposed to be a strength.
    JBDuke

Braves only need to take one out of three to leave Washington with a share of the division lead.

Doesn't seem likely.

Braves

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Braves only need to take one out of three to leave Washington with a share of the division lead.

Doesn't seem likely.
    Care to revise that?

Amazing game in DC tonight. Nats up 4-0 and Detwiler in total control. Braves close to 4-2 going into the ninth. Storen on the mound to close. With the bases loaded and two outs, Justin Upton at the plate, bounces one deep to third ... Zimmerman fields and throws wildly to second -- allowing two runs to score.

Braves win 6-4 in the 10th on a homer by Pena.

That makes Atlanta 9-1 on the season ... Washington 7-3.