Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 680
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

    Major League Baseball - 2013

    Hot Stove time has passed. Opening Day was a rousing success here in DC as the Nats got big games from their two young stars. Harper goes deep twice, and Strasburg goes 7 innings, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 hits, 3 Ks.
    JBDuke

    Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

  2. #2

    opening day

    For six months every year, I open by browser to DBR. From now until the middle of October, I start with Baseball Reference.

    As a Yankee fan, a dismal start to what promises to be a disappointing season. Maybe after we get Jeter, Granderson and Texeira back -- did anybody else lose three of their top four everyday players in preseason (actually 4 of 5 ... I'm not counting A-Roid, who I don't expect back this season) -- then we can get something going. But I'm not optimistic.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    For six months every year, I open by browser to DBR. From now until the middle of October, I start with Baseball Reference.

    As a Yankee fan, a dismal start to what promises to be a disappointing season. Maybe after we get Jeter, Granderson and Texeira back -- did anybody else lose three of their top four everyday players in preseason (actually 4 of 5 ... I'm not counting A-Roid, who I don't expect back this season) -- then we can get something going. But I'm not optimistic.
    Pitching, pitching, pitching and more pitching. This Yankees team will only be as good as it's pitching (mostly starting pitching, I expect the bullpen to be good). The lineup just isn't going to put up runs at a rate we are used to so they'll have to do it another way. Hopefully it works out but this could be the worst season in recent memory.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California

    King Felix

    Felix is in excellent form. Last night I saw him go 7+ in a 3-hit shutout of my A's. Walked one and struck out eight. Can't say all that much for the Mariners' bullpen, though they did keep the A's off the scoreboard. Didn't think Furbush or Wilhelmensen showed very much. The Mariner bullpen seems a little wobbly.

    The A's Brett Anderson scattered 4 hits, but allowed both runs. The A's might have held the Mariners to 1 run if Reddick had thrown to second instead of third on Ryan's hit. As a result, Franklin Gutierrez' single drove in both Ackley and Ryan.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia area, PA
    I think that my Phillies can contend if we can stay healthy. I know that yesterday was rough, nut I think that 90 wins and a wild card could be reasonable.

  6. #6
    Yu Darvish - pshaw.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Yu Darvish - pshaw.
    I think it's conceivable we see more no hitters/perfectos this year than any other season. The Marlins and DisAstros have the chance of it happening to them every night, imho.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    For six months every year, I open by browser to DBR. From now until the middle of October, I start with Baseball Reference.

    As a Yankee fan, a dismal start to what promises to be a disappointing season. Maybe after we get Jeter, Granderson and Texeira back -- did anybody else lose three of their top four everyday players in preseason (actually 4 of 5 ... I'm not counting A-Roid, who I don't expect back this season) -- then we can get something going. But I'm not optimistic.
    Heard today on the Fan (I think) that Tex may NOT be back this year given the location of the injury (v. Grandy's forearm).

    On the other hand, my Metsies are winning 8-0 tonight after 11-2 last night. Granted it's early and it's the Pods, but maybe...maybe...we won't suck this year. Even the outfield is coming through...Now that CBB is over (for me at least), glad that the Mets have started and started well.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    For six months every year, I open by browser to DBR. From now until the middle of October, I start with Baseball Reference.

    As a Yankee fan, a dismal start to what promises to be a disappointing season. Maybe after we get Jeter, Granderson and Texeira back -- did anybody else lose three of their top four everyday players in preseason (actually 4 of 5 ... I'm not counting A-Roid, who I don't expect back this season) -- then we can get something going. But I'm not optimistic.
    After watching the first two games, or what I could stomach of them, is it football season yet? Stupid move by Kuroda to reach for a batted ball with his pitching hand...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  10. #10

    Tex

    Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Heard today on the Fan (I think) that Tex may NOT be back this year given the location of the injury (v. Grandy's forearm).
    The story that Tex MIGHT be out all year have been floated around for several weeks. Actually, the most recent news is positive -- he gopt a checkup yesterday and the report was that he's making good progress and expects to miss "just" 8-10 weeks.

    That doesn't mean I'm optimistic. Sabathia really looked bad in his first start ... maybe all the innings he has thrown (more than anybody else in baseball over the last 6-7 years) have taken their toll. And Kuroda tonight ... agggh!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia area, PA
    My Phillies are off to a terrible start. Maybe Cliff Lee will come through and get us win #1 today.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    The story that Tex MIGHT be out all year have been floated around for several weeks. Actually, the most recent news is positive -- he gopt a checkup yesterday and the report was that he's making good progress and expects to miss "just" 8-10 weeks.

    That doesn't mean I'm optimistic. Sabathia really looked bad in his first start ... maybe all the innings he has thrown (more than anybody else in baseball over the last 6-7 years) have taken their toll. And Kuroda tonight ... agggh!
    Throughout his entire career, CC has always had a rough April, then locked it down for the rest of the year. If I were a Yankee fan, I would be more worried about making sure my pitchers remembered they have a glove on their other hand, too.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
    My Phillies are off to a terrible start. Maybe Cliff Lee will come through and get us win #1 today.
    Meanwhile, the Nats swept the Marlins, allowing only 1 run over the three game series. Note, however, that the Marlins project to be pretty weak this year, so this accomplishment may be a yawner as the year progresses. Still, a nice start.

    Oh, and Bryce Harper is leading the NL in slugging and OPS. :-)
    JBDuke

    Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

  14. #14

    CC

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilinNYC View Post
    Throughout his entire career, CC has always had a rough April, then locked it down for the rest of the year. If I were a Yankee fan, I would be more worried about making sure my pitchers remembered they have a glove on their other hand, too.
    Believe me, I've seen CC pitch enough over the past few years to know that he often struggles early in the season.

    I wish that was all it was. The CC I saw earlier was not a guy searching for his location or his rhythm. His motion was wrong (he was pushing the ball) and his velocity was way off.

    I hope I'm wrong and CC bounces back to have a CC year. But I really did not like what I saw in his first start.

    On the other hand, Andy Pettite looked like he was 28 years old Thursday night, allowing one run in eight innings against the Red Sox. Good to get the win, but a little scary in that our two pitchers were a combined 83 years old.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Houston, Texas

    Chris Davis

    Orioles' Chris Davis absolutely scorched my Rays in their first series, going 7 for 11 with three doubles, three HR and ELEVEN RBIs. That's the second most RBIs by one player in a teams first three games since 1920. He is on a tear (and on pace for 579 RBIs for the season)

  16. #16
    As a Reds(season ticket holder while I lived there) and Dodgers(from my youth) fan, I am quite happy that several of the Northeast corridor teams are less than good this year. There is a lot going on in baseball away from there that should be celebrated.

    I'm just waiting for them to address the Marlins situation.

    I'm probably being petty in another thread.

  17. #17
    Dev11's Avatar
    Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Denver

    Fun prediction

    Giancarlo Stanton will finish 2013 with at least the 3rd most walks ever for a single season.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilinNYC View Post
    Orioles' Chris Davis ... is on a tear (and on pace for 579 RBIs for the season)
    I really don't think you can extrapolate like that. I doubt he'll finish with much more than 350.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I really don't think you can extrapolate like that. I doubt he'll finish with much more than 350.
    Point taken. I guess I would have to take the under.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilinNYC View Post
    Orioles' Chris Davis absolutely scorched my Rays in their first series, going 7 for 11 with three doubles, three HR and ELEVEN RBIs. That's the second most RBIs by one player in a teams first three games since 1920. He is on a tear (and on pace for 579 RBIs for the season)
    So far my strategy of drafting the O's leadoff and 3-6 hitters for my fantasy baseball team has paid off. So far 16 runs, 5 home runs and 18 RBIs just from those guys...

    "Oh Chris Davis hit a 3 run home run? Oh, I get that, plus his RBIs, oh and the guys on base are on my team too!"

Similar Threads

  1. Hot Stove Baseball - 2013
    By Blue in the Face in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 04-01-2013, 05:06 PM
  2. 2013 World Baseball Classic
    By awhom111 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-20-2013, 01:18 AM
  3. Duke Soccer Alums in Major League Soccer (MLS)
    By coblue in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 11:44 AM
  4. Alternative Style Fantasy Baseball League
    By awhom111 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 11:04 PM
  5. First annual DBR forum fantasy baseball league
    By Osiagledknarf in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 02:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •