View Poll Results: Who is the Greatest Heavy Metal Band Ever?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Metallica

6 20.69%
  • Led Zeppelin

13 44.83%
  • Black Sabbath

2 6.90%
  • KISS

1 3.45%
  • AC/DC

1 3.45%
  • Other (Describe)

6 20.69%

Greatest Heavy Metal Band

Who is it?

METALLICA!!!

Shammrog, don't mean to hijack your thread with what I'm about to write.

Not a fan of heavy metal, BUT I do like watching Gene Simmons' Family Jewels. It's hilarious!!

I voted AC/DC.

I admit that any true metal head could probably tear to pieces any argument I came up with. My decision is merely based on personal taste.

AC/DC still "does it" for me. Whether blistering down GA 400 at 90 miles an hour (still being passed by others); playing pool at a local pub; or getting rid of damning evidence, their music just gets my blood pumping.

-EarlJam - who ain't no noise pollution.

Boooooo

No Mötley Crüe? Whaaaat???? Every morning I listen to Kickstart My Heart (even though my commute is shorter than the song) and that starts my morning right.

Crap I voted for the wrong thing, I meant to vote for "other" but voted for Buc^H^H^H Led Zep instead... which happens to be my 2nd favorite band (after Pink Floyd) anyway I guess...

i would take iron maiden over any heavy metal group although metallica is not far behind motley crue was a hair band i barely think home sweet home is metal

i do like motley crue though

had to vote for other...

...'cause RUSH did not make the list. Iron Maiden great second.

Dokken

nothing more without going off on other people's picks

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    No Mötley Crüe? Whaaaat???? Every morning I listen to Kickstart My Heart (even though my commute is shorter than the song) and that starts my morning right.

Crap I voted for the wrong thing, I meant to vote for "other" but voted for Buc^H^H^H Led Zep instead... which happens to be my 2nd favorite band (after Pink Floyd) anyway I guess...
    I get all confused between who is Heavy Metal, Hair Metal, Hard Rock, and Classic Rock. I'm not sure how anyone can pick against Zeppelin on this list unless they disagree that LZ is metal, but I'm old school.

I love me some Floyd, though-- they'd be my number one.

Real Heavy Metal!!

My personal favorite has always been Steppenwolf which invented the phrase "Heavy Metal Thunder." But for real heavy metal, I don't see how anybody could pick other than vintage Ozzy Osbourne Black Sabbath. Sabbath pioneered the era of pounding hard dark rock. And nobody sounds as evil and menacing as Ozzy.
    Tom Mac

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post

Wouldn't that make them third?

Mötley Crüe
    Pink Floyd
    Buc^H^H^H Led Zep

It ain't heavy, its my music

No idea, I've never liked Heavy Metal. however, give me some Waylon, Willie and the boys and I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    No idea, I've never liked Heavy Metal. however, give me some Waylon, Willie and the boys and I'm happy.
    James Hetfield, of Metallica, was a very good friend of Waylon. He even sang on his tribute album.

(Please cast your vote accordingly.)

Ugh

Asking which is the greatest heavy metal band, to me, is equivalent to asking, which is the best fire starter for self-imolation. There may be a best, but that doesn't mean any of it is any good.

Maybe I'm just bitter b/c my heavy-metal-loving brother had the bigger, louder stereo, and an earlier wakeup time in school. I was therefore subjected to more LZ and AC/DC than I could stomach (or sleep through.) Thankfully, he moved on to the blessedly more mellow Grateful Dead by the time I reached 9th grade, so I think the damage was minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Wouldn't that make them third?
    no no, greatest heavy metal band != my favorite band. my list goes Floyd, Led Zep, Green Day (D--kie and before), Skynyrd, Eminem, followed by some unsorted list of (AC/DC, Aerosmith, Cake, Cypress Hill, etc.)