Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Andre Dawkins talks about prepping for next season

Mods please move this to the appropriate thread if needed.

Found a cool little video of Andre working out and talking about what he has been doing this season to prepare for next season, and better yet heal emotionally. I know I'm not the only one excited to have his jump shot and smile back on the court next season. Good luck Dre!

Last edited by JasonEvans; 03-27-2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: embeded video

Great find Mattman.

I had not heard anything about him working out. This is really great news!

Thank you for posting this video. It seems that the time off has been really beneficial for Andre's well being- he sounds like feels more at peace. He also looks way older than I remember!
    Trinity '09

Fabulous find and great to hear 'Dre sounding comfortable with where his life is headed. He clearly has not given up on his Hoops Dreams and we all wish him the best with them. But, more importantly, he seems to have taken the time to heal some of the emotional scars. A great kid and I truly hope he finds all the success in the world!

-Jason "ridiculous depth next year for Duke... ridiculous" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchab1es View Post
    Thank you for posting this video. It seems that the time off has been really beneficial for Andre's well being- he sounds like feels more at peace. He also looks way older than I remember!
    Yeah, he looks older and he looks bigger and he sounds more at peace. Sounds like he sees himself coming back next year, too. Hopefully it will all work out for him and for Duke.

This, other than having the winning score in the rest of the games, is the best news this tournament. I miss Andre.
    Whatever is best for him, of course, but like most of you I'd sure welcome him "home".

Quote Originally Posted by AsiaMinor View Post
    This, other than having the winning score in the rest of the games, is the best news this tournament. I miss Andre.
    Whatever is best for him, of course, but like most of you I'd sure welcome him "home".
    I can't wait to see that smile back on the court. That is worth the price of admission, in and of itself. Welcome back, Andre.

Fantastic News

I've been extremely careful about any and all comments regarding Andre this season, being very aware of the fact that he felt the need to spend time away from the program. I didn't feel it was appropriate to project/guess/hope/critique his potential for next season, out of respect for his stated desire to be out of the spotlight as needed.

This is GREAT news, both for his personal growth and his potential to contribute to next year's team. I will be rooting for him as hard as I can.

Go Duke!

Thanks for posting. Dre and JJ are my favorite players in the last decade. Dre was nice enough to take a photo with my daughter in Hawaii last year. The look on his face when I asked him to hold my 18 month old was priceless. He happily agreed despite the awkward request. Anyway, I miss seeing him out there and am really excited to have him back next year. He looks like he's really working on his game. Good for him. I must confess, I sometime wish he was draining threes this year, but his health and well-being are what is important and seeing him in a Duke uniform again can wait a year.

Duke may be able to sell tickets to the practices next year. The "blue" squad will be better than at least half of the starting line-ups in the ACC next year

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Duke may be able to sell tickets to the practices next year. The "blue" squad will be better than at least half of the starting line-ups in the ACC next year
    Yeah, we'll be super deep (even though it is doubtful we'll actually use that depth in games, of course).

Speculative white team: Cook, Sulaimon, Hood, Parker, Jefferson/Hairston
    Speculative blue team: Thornton, Jones, Dawkins, Murphy, Hairston/Jefferson
    Members at large: Ojeleye, Plumlee

As one who was skeptical as to whether Dawkins would return to play next year, this is a pleasant surprise. It sounds like he's found or is finding a good place personally, and that's the most important thing. Getting him back for his senior year would just be a terrific bonus as a fan.

Great find and awesome to see Dre working on his game. He does look a lot older, that's the first thing that came to my mind lol.

Interesting to see he's working out at Riverside HS in Durham. Any locals should venture over there and try to watch him from the stands and let us know how he looks in person

Lastly, assuming he is coming back next year and Sheed coming back, should the staff think about red-shirting Matt Jones?? Maybe that is another discussion for a later day, but can't help but think.

We will hands down have the best three-point shooting team in the country next season, when you factor in the length and sheer number of our marksmen.

Shooting guards: 6-4 Andre Dawkins (who many will label as the premier shooter in the country in 2013-14), 6-4 Matt Jones and 6-4 Rasheed Sulaimon

Point guard: 6-1 Quinn Cook and the streaky yet clutch 6-1 Tyler Thornton

Forwards: 6-8 Rodney Hood and 6-9 Jabari Parker

Wildcards: 6-8 Alex Murphy and 6-6 Semi Ojeleye

Can you deal with that, Jimmy Boehiem!

There were a lot of people here who really undervalued the shooters we have on this team heading into the season, and they turned out the third best three-point shooting team percentage-wise in the nation. Next year is going to be insane with Andre back.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, we'll be super deep (even though it is doubtful we'll actually use that depth in games, of course).

Speculative white team: Cook, Sulaimon, Hood, Parker, Jefferson/Hairston
    Speculative blue team: Thornton, Jones, Dawkins, Murphy, Hairston/Jefferson
    Members at large: Ojeleye, Plumlee
    While I hate to have a discussion of Andre's wonderful comments and healing crowded out by a discussion of next year (especially at a time when this year's Blue Devils are having such a stellar season), I am nonetheless going to delve into it a bit by pointing something out.

What makes the team next year so additionally tantalizing is that it is going to be soooo experienced.

1 year in college - Parker, Jones, Ojeleye
    2 years in college - Suliamon, Jefferson
    3 years in college - Cook, Hood, Murphy, Plumlee
    4 years in college - Hairston, Thornton
    5 years in college - Dawkins

Folks, we are going to somehow have a roster littered with future pros that is also littered with experience. A true rarity in college hoops.

-Jason "...gotta wear shades!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Great find! Good to hear about Andre working out and he definitely looks older. Not trying to stir the pot or anything, but Andre is on pace on graduate this year from Duke, right? Theoretically, if he wanted to, he could enroll in graduate school at another university and not have to sit out a year if he would rather be the "go to" guy on a team (which I certainly would not begrudge him for). Although I'd love to have him on the Duke team for sure. I really think Andre has potential to make an NBA team if he demonstrates his shooting and athletic abilities next season, while incorporating perhaps a more mid-range/driving ability. It's perhaps more of a longshot at this point, but certainly possible. And, yes, he's not just a shooter and won Duke's dunk contest one year, so clearly has the tools. Hope this year off has made him more at peace and I expect to see good things next year from him!

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Lastly, assuming he is coming back next year and Sheed coming back, should the staff think about red-shirting Matt Jones?? Maybe that is another discussion for a later day, but can't help but think.
    There will certainly be at least 2-3 guys playing way fewer minutes than their talent would suggest, that's for sure. The redshirt/no-redshirt decision for any particular player would obviously be a decision that needs to be made/agreed upon by both the player and coaches.

Outstanding

Andre seems very comfortable with his progress, which is great to hear.

The videos also showed him putting the ball on the floor and trying to become much more than a jump shooter, so the year off might be the best thing that could have happened to his game.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    While I hate to have a discussion of Andre's wonderful comments and healing crowded out by a discussion of next year (especially at a time when this year's Blue Devils are having such a stellar season), I am nonetheless going to delve into it a bit by pointing something out.

What makes the team next year so additionally tantalizing is that it is going to be soooo experienced.

Folks, we are going to somehow have a roster littered with future pros that is also littered with experience. A true rarity in college hoops.

Yeah, I do feel bad for having started us down this path (perhaps it'll get moved to another thread). But quite literally the only question mark is what we'll do in the post. In every other conceivable way, we're stacked:

PG play: we'll have an All-ACC PG and a senior backup
    Perimeter shooting: Dawkins, Sulaimon, and Cook have all shot at or above 38% from 3pt range at some point in their careers; Jones is allegedly a fantastic 3pt shooter; Hood and Parker have good range for forwards.
    Size and versatility on the perimeter: we'll have only 2 guys under 6'4", and we'll have multiple 6'6"+ options at SF
    Athleticism: Dawkins, Sulaimon, and Ojeleye are elite athletes; Parker and Hood are very good athletes as well.

The only question is how able we are to handle teams with size inside. If Plumlee, Jefferson, Parker, and Hairston prove capable of handling the PF/C spots next year, we'll have no holes. That's still a big if, of course. And we could potentially work around it anyway. But man, what a potentially amazing roster.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

You seem to be adding up. Parker, Jones and Ojeleye won't have one year's experience in college until May 2014. Which, of course, is after the season is over. The same reasoning applies to the others on your list.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    We will hands down have the best three-point shooting team in the country next season, when you factor in the length and sheer number of our marksmen.

Shooting guards: 6-4 Andre Dawkins (who many will label as the premier shooter in the country in 2013-14), 6-4 Matt Jones and 6-4 Rasheed Sulaimon

Point guard: 6-1 Quinn Cook and the streaky yet clutch 6-1 Tyler Thornton

Forwards: 6-8 Rodney Hood and 6-9 Jabari Parker

Wildcards: 6-8 Alex Murphy and 6-6 Semi Ojeleye

Can you deal with that, Jimmy Boehiem!

There were a lot of people here who really undervalued the shooters we have on this team heading into the season, and they turned out the third best three-point shooting team percentage-wise in the nation. Next year is going to be insane with Andre back.
    Great find. Thanks.

Add in to Cameron's list our PF's Hairston (well, he THINKS he is a 3-point shooter!) and AJ, and Center MP3, and this will be a supremely talented and deep squad. Might finally tempt K to go deeper than a 7-man rotation. Nah! I could see this being a terrific run-and-gun squad. Obviously the haters/skeptics will all point to us as a "doughnut" team - no quality in the center. (Of course the Heel fans will say that we're just copying them, playing a lot of small-ball..... Maybe Dean invented that too now?? ) Can't wait!!!

Welcome back Andre!
    Last edited by -bdbd; 03-27-2013 at 02:51 PM.