Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2013 Nike Hoop Summit

Both rosters are now out:
    http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/ho...it/roster.html

Personally I am always interested in seeing how some of the international players do as it seems like we see some of the American high schoolers quite a few times during this point in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post

Personally I am always interested in seeing how some of the international players do as it seems like we see some of the American high schoolers quite a few times during this point in the year.

Interesting to me that Jabari is listed as 6'9" 201lbs. Usually he's listed at 6'8" or even 6'7" on some sites with weights anywhere between 215 and 225. It seems like I remember reading last year that they actually weigh and measure the athletes, NFL Combine style, at the Hoops Summit.

At 6'9", perhaps Parker could play a little "5" for us next year?

Yeah, this is usually one of the best all-star games; the teams take it seriously and actually play team ball, even some defense.

Karl Towns and Andrew Wiggins are certainly a good head start for the World team; no clue about the other names on the World roster. The USA team has several guys in the 6'5" to 6'9" range (Jabari listed at 6'9"), but possibly a shortage of post players and ball handlers?

Worth noting that this is Wiggins' second year playing in this game. He played last year and was the leading scorer for the World team with 20 points. He may be a beast this season. I would imagine that Towns will end up playing this year and next year seeing as he is a 2014 recruit for Kentucky.

-Jason "Wiggins should go play in Europe for a couple million dollars this coming season instead of bothering with college... please!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Interesting to me that Jabari is listed as 6'9" 201lbs. Usually he's listed at 6'8" or even 6'7" on some sites with weights anywhere between 215 and 225. It seems like I remember reading last year that they actually weigh and measure the athletes, NFL Combine style, at the Hoops Summit.

At 6'9", perhaps Parker could play a little "5" for us next year?
    It doesn't look like the official measurements have come out yet - they usually have a release with wingspans and everything. Either way, I wonder if the 201 part is a misprint. Either that, or he's lost about 50 pounds since his injury...

Also, here's a breakdown of the international players if anyone's interested: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...reakdown-4113/

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    It doesn't look like the official measurements have come out yet - they usually have a release with wingspans and everything. Either way, I wonder if the 201 part is a misprint. Either that, or he's lost about 50 pounds since his injury...

Also, here's a breakdown of the international players if anyone's interested: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...reakdown-4113/
    Thanks for posting the link to the draftexpress profiles.

Jabari Parker profile

Strengths:

-Terrific size at 6-9
    -Strong frame
    -Very advanced scoring instincts
    -Outstanding shooter with feet set, as well as off the dribble....

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Worth noting that this is Wiggins' second year playing in this game. He played last year and was the leading scorer for the World team with 20 points. He may be a beast this season. I would imagine that Towns will end up playing this year and next year seeing as he is a 2014 recruit for Kentucky.

-Jason "Wiggins should go play in Europe for a couple million dollars this coming season instead of bothering with college... please!" Evans
    if you read IC, Wiggins's only purpose in life is to sign with UNC and only play the two games against duke to try and show Jabari up...

don't shoot the messenger.
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

height and weight

Jabari very recently described himself as being 6-8, 235 lbs, with just under a 7 foot wingspan.

The 6-8 may or may not be without shoes...with shoes it would jibe with the often mentioned 6-9 figure (not sure I agree with the
    common methodology of including shoes, but what the heck...)

I have no doubt we will sometimes (actually, make that often) see a frontline next year with Hood (SF) Jefferson and Parker.
    There could be some position shifting on offense vs. defense...(i.e. very likely to see Parker at PF, but could defend bulkier guys than Jefferson on defense).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Jabari very recently described himself as being 6-8, 235 lbs, with just under a 7 foot wingspan.

The 6-8 may or may not be without shoes...with shoes it would jibe with the often mentioned 6-9 figure (not sure I agree with the

I have no doubt we will sometimes (actually, make that often) see a frontline next year with Hood (SF) Jefferson and Parker.
    There could be some position shifting on offense vs. defense...(i.e. very likely to see Parker at PF, but could defend bulkier guys than Jefferson on defense).
    Agreed. I think Jabari projects as a classic stretch 4 for us, capable of playing inside and on the perimeter, with perhaps more ball handling responsibilities than typical for the position. Amile will likely remain a post-oriented player on offense, with the ability to defend away from the paint as needed. Hopefully he can bulk to 225 or so for next year - he already seems closer to 6-9 anyway, with clear potential to be a solid rebounder and shot blocker. Hood strikes me as more of a true wing, albeit with great size and length. Their games would seem to complement each other's very well.

Here's a recent video of Jabari (uploaded earlier this month). He looks a lot more lean here than previous videos at least IMO. Not Sure if he's at 201 but definitely looks to be getting in great basketball shape, can't wait to seem him in a Duke Jersey.

http://youtu.be/fowmFcNlWUY

Official masonry

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post

do they do cinderblock measurements? If yes, American or European cinderblocks?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post

Oh, great. Now, you've introduced metric cinderblocks.

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Just thought we ought to cover all the bases. Leave no block unturned, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    In the metric system, they are cindreblocks.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    Here's a recent video of Jabari (uploaded earlier this month). He looks a lot more lean here than previous videos at least IMO. Not Sure if he's at 201 but definitely looks to be getting in great basketball shape, can't wait to seem him in a Duke Jersey.

http://youtu.be/fowmFcNlWUY
    Jabari hasn't seen a weight of 201 in years. He's a strapping lad.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

I doubt that there are that many millions of euros out there for someone to offer him. Economic conditions in Europe have hit sports hard. The kinds of contracts that Josh Childress got will not be returning for a little while. Also, the Brandon Jennings experiment showed that even talented players can take a while to adjust to the European game in their youth. It would be an interesting publicity stunt if a club out there was willing to make a formal offer, but the number that could even afford to do so is relatively small.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yeah, this is usually one of the best all-star games; the teams take it seriously and actually play team ball, even some defense.

Karl Towns and Andrew Wiggins are certainly a good head start for the World team; no clue about the other names on the World roster. The USA team has several guys in the 6'5" to 6'9" range (Jabari listed at 6'9"), but possibly a shortage of post players and ball handlers?
    Interestingly the World Team is built very similarly to the US team. The player who is most developed at this point would be Sergey Karasev, who is putting up great numbers while being coached by his father, and was already in the last Olympics. Besides Wiggins, the player that is probably viewed as having the most potential is Mario Hezonja, but he has not been playing the toughest competition. Mouhammadou Jaiteh is also in the boat of playing lesser competition while Gabriel Deck is less known as he plays in Argentina and Dante Exum is one of the more intriguing players. Dennis Schroder is teammates with Eric Boateng in Germany while Nikola Ivanovic and Livio Jean-Charles are doing a solid job at a pretty decent level of competition.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

Thanks! I absolutely love this game. It is far and away my favorite High School game of the year showcasing the nations best recruits, as they play a real basketball game from opening tip to final buzzer. There have been some really good games the past few years.

If any of you folks have never checked out this game in the past, I highly recommend you watch it this year either live or DVR. Unlike the All-Star games, it is not "show off" night. You really get a feel for how the recruits look in a real game against an opponent with similar size and talent. They play defense, run logical offenses with "normal" shot selection. It just gives you a much better read on what to expect from a recruit once he laces them up in an NCAA game as a freshman.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

I take a different stance on this. Not being snarky here either. Since they play in shoes, I would rather know the height in shoes vs barefoot. Seriously. If Jabari is indeed 6'9 in shoes with a 7ft wingspan, that is great. I think McDerm showed us the other night, a highly skilled PF with that kind of size and weight can be very effective in the post in the college game. I think Jabari will be a great inside/out guy who can kill you from the perimeter and kill you posting up. Can't wait to watch him next year!

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    if you read IC, Wiggins's only purpose in life is to sign with UNC and only play the two games against duke to try and show Jabari up...

don't shoot the messenger.
    Yep. My most die-hard Holes friends are convinced that Wiggins is headed their way. Let's hope not.

The game is going to be on ESPN2 at 7:00pm Eastern.

The international roster has undergone a few changes. Unfortunately, Mario Hezonja will not be playing. Joel Embiid has been added to increase the number of international players based in the United States. Lithuanian player Tomas Dimsa has also been added.