Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    I will set the over/under on minutes that Lorenzo Brown plays in the NBA next season at 5.

Lo should start learning some Russia or Italian...that's where he will be playing next season...
    Oh I dunno about that. Most mock drafts have him going at the very end of the first or early in the 2nd round of the draft. I would be surprised if he did not make an NBA roster if he was drafted in the first ten picks of the 2nd round. Obviously, it will depend upon how his workouts go. Sneaking into the first round is not impossible for him. That is why he is thinking about coming out.

-Jason "Brown can play at the next level. I don't think he can be an impact starter, but he can be in a team's 10-man rotation" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yes, they have a decent recruiting class coming in. But, position by position, they are taking a step back:
    PG: lose Brown, add Barber and improvements to Lewis (slight-to-big step down depending on how good Barber is and how good Lews gets)
    Wing: Lose Wood, add improvements to Purvis and Warren (probably a wash, maybe an upgrade)
    PF: lose Leslie, add Washington (very big step down)
    C: lose Howell, add Anya and improvements to Vandenburg (very big step down)

They'll be okay, but they will not be as good as this year's team, and they won't be anywhere near the hunt for the ACC next year with that team. Teams like Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Pitt, UVa, and Notre Dame will all likely be better, and younger teams like FSU, Wake, and BC may sneak up on them too.

How I see it (The losses):

PG: Yes they lose Brown who is/was arguably the best pg in the ACC along with Larkin. He had size and could score very well in the paint and in transition.

SG: They lose Wood who was the best 3pt shooter on the team as well as free throw shooter

PF: Lose Leslie who when he wants to be is the best player in the conference and one of the toughest in the country to defend. Super athletic

C: Howell who even though was undersized and overlooked going into the season emerged as States most consistent player on offense and defense. He also was a top notch rebounder.

(The improvements):

PG: Tyler Lewis should make the jump that many freshmen pgs do going into their 2nd year. I thought he should have started all year with Brown at the same time this past season. He was surprisingly very good for a freshmen on a dysfunctional team. He is a better more willing passer than Zo and should be benefited with Leslie gone. Brown may have been a very good assist man, great even but Tyler can give them a true leader which is something Lorenzo never for some reason developed.

PG: Barber... This is I guess more of a TBD right now.

SG/SF: Purvis should improve in his shooting, ability as well as decision making and strength now with a season under him as well. He as well as Warren I think will be the go to scoring guys next year for State. Purvis I think will drastically improve more than anyone else on States roster mostly because he is a slasher/scoring minded player. Playing this past year really took him out of his element having to defer to ZO, Leslie, Howell and Wood I look for him to be more aggressive and probably be the surprise guy next year and maybe be 1st or 2nd team All ACC.

SF/PF: Warren as I said previously should become a go to scorer next year. I think he will be the silently efficient type of scorer who puts up numbers all night and you just don't realize it till you look at the box score. He is much more team oriented than Leslie (Who isn't?) and will be able to stretch the floor better also. He shot 62% as a freshmen SF/PF and though he didn't shoot them very often he hit over 50% from 3.

C: This is where I see a true big loss. However maybe Anya can come in and be serviceable right away. If Anya and Vandenberg can provide solid defense and rebounding I think State can get by

The Overall Picture:

Offense: Should/could be smoother and less forced than this past year, at least more team oriented anyhow. Lewis naturally looks to pass and isnt a bad shooter either, he probably will get more respect than Brown as a shooter. Wood was a one trick pony to the highest degree and I think State vastly improves with him gone, they lose an all caliber shooter but as a team they will have more range and more guys who can handle the ball. Leslie won't be there to ball stop and teams will have to stretch out further on Warren than they did Leslie. Rebounding I suspect will take the biggest hit as well as transition offense but overall team chemistry and scoring ability/variety should be better.

Defense: SCOTT WOOD IS GONE!!!!!!! He was tall which helped him rebound but gah was he a bad on and off ball at defending. Purvis was better in defense last year and should be even better next. Leslie made a lot of boneheaded defensive plays and gambled waayy to much, I expect Warren to be more level headed.

Chemistry: I think everyone will agree this was a big problem last season. Leslie was a "me" player, Brown who was very good I think was a little to willing to give the ball up to Wood, Leslie, and Howell . Brown will be missed in transition but I trust Lewis in the halfcourt with less pressure on him and his teammates next season. Purvis also no longer has to worry about sharing with the upper class and is now the "go-to-guy"

I think State makes the tourny next year as well but time will tell I think the rebounding will be the only real major hit but it will be more than made up for in a team aspect

They will finish above UNC, unless of course Wiggins commits (Maybe even still).
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Yeah, I had forgotten about Turner. That is a nice addition, and their PG-SF spots will be quite talented (but very young and with no proven leaders). A perimeter rotation of Barber, Purvis, Turner, and Lewis could end up being solid. But that still leaves them incredibly thin up front. Warren is a very undersized option at PF, and he's by far the best option they have (Washington is a bit of a project). And if Vandenburg leaves then Anya is the only center on the roster. And he's a freshman.

That roster is not all that different from the roster Wake put on the floor this year. Probably better at PG, but probably not as good at C. And not as experienced at the star spots (Warren and Purvis vs McKie and Harris).
    I like you forgot. I know people say that 1-3 are talented and 4-5 might be the downfall but I disagree. The 4 spot will be fine with Warren, the real question is the 5 but not as much as you think! Rebounding and consistency from Howell are what your are trying to replace but it can be more than made up for with team work and variety on offense.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    How I see it (The losses):
    PG: Yes they lose Brown who is/was arguably the best pg in the ACC along with Larkin. He had size and could score very well in the paint and in transition.
    SG: They lose Wood who was the best 3pt shooter on the team as well as free throw shooter
    PF: Lose Leslie who when he wants to be is the best player in the conference and one of the toughest in the country to defend. Super athletic
    C: Howell who even though was undersized and overlooked going into the season emerged as States most consistent player on offense and defense. He also was a top notch rebounder.

(The improvements):
    PG: Tyler Lewis should make the jump that many freshmen pgs do going into their 2nd year. I thought he should have started all year with Brown at the same time this past season. He was surprisingly very good for a freshmen on a dysfunctional team. He is a better more willing passer than Zo and should be benefited with Leslie gone. Brown may have been a very good assist man, great even but Tyler can give them a true leader which is something Lorenzo never for some reason developed.
    PG: Barber... This is I guess more of a TBD right now.
    SG/SF: Purvis should improve in his shooting, ability as well as decision making and strength now with a season under him as well. He as well as Warren I think will be the go to scoring guys next year for State. Purvis I think will drastically improve more than anyone else on States roster mostly because he is a slasher/scoring minded player. Playing this past year really took him out of his element having to defer to ZO, Leslie, Howell and Wood I look for him to be more aggressive and probably be the surprise guy next year and maybe be 1st or 2nd team All ACC.
    SF/PF: Warren as I said previously should become a go to scorer next year. I think he will be the silently efficient type of scorer who puts up numbers all night and you just don't realize it till you look at the box score. He is much more team oriented than Leslie (Who isn't?) and will be able to stretch the floor better also. He shot 62% as a freshmen SF/PF and though he didn't shoot them very often he hit over 50% from 3.
    C: This is where I see a true big loss. However maybe Anya can come in and be serviceable right away. If Anya and Vandenberg can provide solid defense and rebounding I think State can get by

The Overall Picture:
    Offense: Should/could be smoother and less forced than this past year, at least more team oriented anyhow. Lewis naturally looks to pass and isnt a bad shooter either, he probably will get more respect than Brown as a shooter. Wood was a one trick pony to the highest degree and I think State vastly improves with him gone, they lose an all caliber shooter but as a team they will have more range and more guys who can handle the ball. Leslie won't be there to ball stop and teams will have to stretch out further on Warren than they did Leslie. Rebounding I suspect will take the biggest hit as well as transition offense but overall team chemistry and scoring ability/variety should be better.
    Defense: SCOTT WOOD IS GONE!!!!!!! He was tall which helped him rebound but gah was he a bad on and off ball at defending. Purvis was better in defense last year and should be even better next. Leslie made a lot of boneheaded defensive plays and gambled waayy to much, I expect Warren to be more level headed.
    Chemistry: I think everyone will agree this was a big problem last season. Leslie was a "me" player, Brown who was very good I think was a little to willing to give the ball up to Wood, Leslie, and Howell . Brown will be missed in transition but I trust Lewis in the halfcourt with less pressure on him and his teammates next season. Purvis also no longer has to worry about sharing with the upper class and is now the "go-to-guy"

I think State makes the tourny next year as well but time will tell I think the rebounding will be the only real major hit but it will be more than made up for in a team aspect

They will finish above UNC, unless of course Wiggins commits (Maybe even still).
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I like you forgot. I know people say that 1-3 are talented and 4-5 might be the downfall but I disagree. The 4 spot will be fine with Warren, the real question is the 5 but not as much as you think! Rebounding and consistency from Howell are what your are trying to replace but it can be more than made up for with team work and variety on offense.
    I think you are vastly underestimating how big losing Howell, Leslie, Wood, and Brown would be. That is all of their rebounding, all of their interior scoring, all of their playmaking, and all of their size inside.

Warren had a terrific year this year. But he did so in large part because he was the 4th/5th option on the floor. Defenses were much more concerned with Howell, Leslie, Brown, and Wood, and they'd sometimes forget about Warren. Warren did all of his scoring work on the periphery, and the offense ran through Howell, Leslie, and Brown. Next year, Warren will become a focal point for defenses, and I don't think it's solid to assume he'll just make the transition smoothly. He'd also be VERY undersized at PF, which would hurt them on the defensive end.

Also, a big part of State's offensive efficiency was a result of their ability to offensive rebound. Losing Howell and Leslie hurts there. A LOT. I see virtually no way that Warren, Anya, Washington, and Vandenburg offset that loss.

And let's talk about defense. State's only threats defensively were the steal by Brown or Leslie, the occasional block by Leslie, and the sensational rebounding of Howell. They were not a good defensive team otherwise. Taking away Brown, Leslie, and Howell takes away the only 3 players who cause problems defensively. Warren is a terrible defender, Lewis is pretty bad at it, as is Vandenburg. Purvis is solid, and Turner is probably an upgrade over Wood. But that still leaves State (already a poor defensive team) without its security blankets defensively.

State will have no rebounding presence, no shotblocking presence, no post scoring presence, no go-to scorer (unless Warren or Purvis suddenly shows that ability), no depth, no experience, and very little size. That's a far worse combination in my opinion than what they have now.

Also, I see virtually no way (aside from surprising departures from UNC or injuries) that State ends up ahead of UNC next year. If Bullock and Hairston stay, that's going to be a pretty good team. Not a great team, but pretty good. I can't say the same for State. In fact, I'd take UNC's players over State's players at nearly every spot on the floor (PG is the only spot I'd give State an edge, and Paige could potentially negate that with improvement).

I think you are vastly underestimating how big losing Howell, Leslie, Wood, and Brown would be. That is all of their rebounding, all of their interior scoring, all of their playmaking, and all of their size inside.
    Yep, this is an NC State version of a UNC defection. Even with MORE talent we see how that has worked out for UNC in past years.

State will have some problems

Warren had a terrific year this year. But he did so in large part because he was the 4th/5th option on the floor. Defenses were much more concerned with Howell, Leslie, Brown, and Wood, and they'd sometimes forget about Warren. Warren did all of his scoring work on the periphery, and the offense ran through Howell, Leslie, and Brown. Next year, Warren will become a focal point for defenses, and I don't think it's solid to assume he'll just make the transition smoothly. He'd also be VERY undersized at PF, which would hurt them on the defensive end.

Also, a big part of State's offensive efficiency was a result of their ability to offensive rebound. Losing Howell and Leslie hurts there. A LOT. I see virtually no way that Warren, Anya, Washington, and Vandenburg offset that loss.

And let's talk about defense. State's only threats defensively were the steal by Brown or Leslie, the occasional block by Leslie, and the sensational rebounding of Howell. They were not a good defensive team otherwise. Taking away Brown, Leslie, and Howell takes away the only 3 players who cause problems defensively. Warren is a terrible defender, Lewis is pretty bad at it, as is Vandenburg. Purvis is solid, and Turner is probably an upgrade over Wood. But that still leaves State (already a poor defensive team) without its security blankets defensively.

State will have no rebounding presence, no shotblocking presence, no post scoring presence, no go-to scorer (unless Warren or Purvis suddenly shows that ability), no depth, no experience, and very little size. That's a far worse combination in my opinion than what they have now.

Also, I see virtually no way (aside from surprising departures from UNC or injuries) that State ends up ahead of UNC next year. If Bullock and Hairston stay, that's going to be a pretty good team. Not a great team, but pretty good. I can't say the same for State. In fact, I'd take UNC's players over State's players at nearly every spot on the floor (PG is the only spot I'd give State an edge, and Paige could potentially negate that with improvement).
    I agree that losing Howell, Brown and Wood will hurt State tremendously. I'm not counting Leslie out yet, but in the likely event he leaves, State is going to have a tough year.

Howell is a beast and held that team together (both games against us). Despite Wood's defensive issues, he was critical to several of their wins and opened things up for Warren. Brown pre-injury was the best PG in the conference (although Larkin surpassed him), and while Lewis was a good sub and better than expected, it's a big dropoff. Calvin was the best player in the league when he was Calvin and not CJ and if he can get his head together, he will be a good pro.

Put it all together and the Pack is a middle of the pack at best (remember we have four teams coming in who have consistent NCAA calibre programs) and behind UNC (which has to hurt).

FWIW, State has a 2 P.M. presser today, with Gottfried and Brown.

FWIW2, any analysis of NCSU for next season that omits Ralston Turner is fundamentally flawed. He's an athletic 6-6 wing, who averaged double-figures in scoring at LSU. He'll start and contribute at a high level.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    ... FWIW2, any analysis of NCSU for next season that omits Ralston Turner is fundamentally flawed. He's an athletic 6-6 wing, who averaged double-figures in scoring at LSU. He'll start and contribute at a high level.
    Boy, I wish Duke could get someone like that to add to the team next year! Experienced, talented and athletic wing!

Maybe two?

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Yep, this is an NC State version of a UNC defection. Even with MORE talent we see how that has worked out for UNC in past years.
    Speaking of UNC, any news on what the immediate future may hold for them?
    Anyone publicly said they are staying/gone?

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Hairston and Bullock are both undecided.

They won't make any announcement until their season is over.

Oh, wait ...

In case you were wondering.

"NC State junior guard Lorenzo Brown has announced that he will forego his final season of eligibility and enter his name into the 2013 NBA Draft.

Brown, a second-team All-ACC selection by both the media and coaches in 2012-13, averaged 12.4 points, led the league in assists (7.2/gm) and ranked second in the conference in steals (2.0/gm). He started 32 contests this season.

"I feel that it is in my best interest and the best interest of my family to make this move now," said Brown. "I have enjoyed my NC State career and it has been a privilege to be a part of rebuilding this program. I am proud to be a member of the Pack for life."

Brown started 95 of the 101 games he played during his collegiate career. He averaged 11.6 points during his three campaigns and is one of only three players in school history to record over 500 career assists (589).

"We are grateful to Lorenzo for his contributions to our program and wish him nothing but the best in the future," said State head coach Mark Gottfried. "I am looking forward to watching him play basketball for many years to come." "

FWIW, State has a 2 P.M. presser today, with Gottfried and Brown.

FWIW2, any analysis of NCSU for next season that omits Ralston Turner is fundamentally flawed. He's an athletic 6-6 wing, who averaged double-figures in scoring at LSU. He'll start and contribute at a high level.
    Yes, Turner is a good addition. However, he and the 3 freshmen (and any improvements from their current roster) would not offset the loss of Howell, Wood, Brown, and Leslie.

Yes, Turner is a good addition. However, he and the 3 freshmen (and any improvements from their current roster) would not offset the loss of Howell, Wood, Brown, and Leslie.
    Oh, I agree. I've already stated that I think State is an NIT team next year. But a number of posters who have speculated on their 2013-14 lineup don't even seem to know that he's in the program.

McAdoo asked on twitter what people's opinions were of a particular Mercedes sedan...But maybe his pop is getting is for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    McAdoo asked on twitter what people's opinions were of a particular Mercedes sedan...But maybe his pop is getting is for him.
    Or his uncle?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Or maybe a "friend" (read: agent, AAU coach, or Michael Jordan) got it for him . I heard that McAdoo is getting the sedan for his academic tutor. He wanted to thank him for taking all his tests, writing all his papers, and even raising his hand from time to time and ending with, "this is James McAdoo, least efficient player on this year's team."

Did I go too far?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Or maybe a "friend" (read: agent, AAU coach, or Michael Jordan) got it for him . I heard that McAdoo is getting the sedan for his academic tutor. He wanted to thank him for taking all his tests, writing all his papers, and even raising his hand from time to time and ending with, "this is James McAdoo, least efficient player on this year's team."

Did I go too far?
    There is a wide misconception that James Michael McAdoo is Robert McAdoo's son. His father is Ronnie McAdoo, who played at Old Dominion but did not make a lot of money in the pros.

Robert and Ronnie are cousins and James Michael considers Robert to be his uncle.

Hence the reference.

Oh, I agree. I've already stated that I think State is an NIT team next year. But a number of posters who have speculated on their 2013-14 lineup don't even seem to know that he's in the program.
    Ah, I gotcha. Nevermind my post then. My bad.

There is a wide misconception that James Michael McAdoo is Robert McAdoo's son. His father is Ronnie McAdoo, who played at Old Dominion but did not make a lot of money in the pros.

Robert and Ronnie are cousins and James Michael considers Robert to be his uncle.

Hence the reference.
    My bad. I assume that a ton of people get this wrong, huh?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club