Olympus Has Fallen (movie)

In months past in the Off-Topic forum, I have seen clamoring for more movies of the Die Hard variety. You action aficionados might do well to check out 'Olympus Has Fallen.' It uses the Die Hard playbook and could be subtitled 'John McClane goes to Washington.' (hostage situation in a large, architecturally interesting building, plenty of bad guys, lots of injuries but none too graphic, off-the-cuff hero who taunts the villain, etc)
    Starring Gerard Butler, I would have been pleased if it was a spin-off of the Starz tv show Spartacus. Alas, it was a Die Hard clone. That's not my cup of tea, but I did find it exciting and humorous. Enable your 'suspension of belief' at the door and enjoy the ride (which, unfortunately, did fizzle out some for me as the movie progressed).
    Special note: I put this in Off-Topic because it's a movie, but Ashley Judd is always on-topic in my March basketball forum

SPOILER ALERT! Some aspects of plot implied

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled View Post
    In months past in the Off-Topic forum, I have seen clamoring for more movies of the Die Hard variety. You action aficionados might do well to check out 'Olympus Has Fallen.' It uses the Die Hard playbook and could be subtitled 'John McClane goes to Washington.' (hostage situation in a large, architecturally interesting building, plenty of bad guys, lots of injuries but none too graphic, off-the-cuff hero who taunts the villain, etc)
    Starring Gerard Butler, I would have been pleased if it was a spin-off of the Starz tv show Spartacus. Alas, it was a Die Hard clone. That's not my cup of tea, but I did find it exciting and humorous. Enable your 'suspension of belief' at the door and enjoy the ride (which, unfortunately, did fizzle out some for me as the movie progressed).
    Special note: I put this in Off-Topic because it's a movie, but Ashley Judd is always on-topic in my March basketball forum

What has become more typical of Hollywood these days, either the screenwriters or the director had a chance to make this an absolutely incredible movie, but simply fell short when it came to delivering the goods.

You would think someone would point out that the biggest talent in the movie is Ashley Judd. More of her - for all kinds of reasons - would have been better. And there was some dialog that setup potential for a Die Hard / Rambo style fly in the ointment. Instead, it was simply a shoot 'em up with a psycho terrorist.

Honestly, we left feeling like this was the Deep Impact to Red Dawn's Armageddon. Interesting that Morgan Freeman was in both "TV" versions.

Yeah, predictable and not great by any means, but I enjoyed it.

Plenty of action and some light touches, too.