Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Not that I'm questioning the validity of the story, but do you have a source? It sounds too good to be true, like the Grant Hill-Georgetown recruiting story.
    For those unware of the Grant Hill story (third column): http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=1301,4048684

Thoughts on a number of the thoughts posted above:

- that story about Amaker and the transcripts almost has to be apocryphal. Did Tommy share the level of recruit those two guys were, as well as their transcripts? That said, I suppose it's possible the school still had a strict "will not bend" rule on academics for basketball players at that point and was insistent on telling their new coach that wasn't about to change. Also, I have to think anyone intelligent enough to work in the Athletic Department or whatever at a school such as Northwestern would have seen right through that and asked "Which Duke players were these?"

- agreed on the comments that it's very strange that NW hasn't broken down on the academic exceptions for basketball, where it's a lot easier to build success with a couple players, vs. football, where you simply can't get anywhere in the B1G without a lot of talent on the field. I suspect the reason is pretty $imple, though.

- I would not be shocked, however, if NW is now at the point where the basketball program has reached Duke Football circa 2008 levels of despondence, and there will be enough alumni pressure to get insitutional buy-in on a legitimate commitment to make the program better this time around. The success of the football program, and Pat Fitzgerald's infectious "We CAN compete in the Big Ten if we just try hard enough and care more" attitude has raised excitement, and expectations, about Northwestern's sports ceiling. At least among the alums I know. The facilities stink (feels like a high school gym), but could be improved - it's not like they need a football stadium expansion. The location could be a decent selling point, if kids can get over the weather.

- If there is, in fact, an institutional decision to be competitive in basketball, THEN it might be a good job for Collins, and he a good guy for the position. Carmody was a great choice for where they were a decade ago, but he was coming from Princeton and was never going to make them legit through recruiting. Collins obviously can handle the recruiting portion of the job, and has undoubtedly learned a lot about striking the balance between student athletes who can thrive in both school and sport at Duke. And due to his father, Collins' name is pretty strong here, considering he hasn't lived in the area for 20 years. He's the same age as Fitzgerald, as well, and would represent a jolt of relative youth.

- Also, if ever there is a time to improve in the B1G, and at least solidify a spot outside the lowest tier, now might be it. The reason being that, while the conference as a whole is stronger than it's been in years, the lowest tier of the B1G has been expanding, and just did so again. Nebraska is awful and has no commitment to hoops. Likewise Penn. St. Iowa has been relegated to the basement and there are no signs it's coming upstairs any time soon. In any given year, Purdue, Illinois and/or Minnesota might implode. And after next season, Rutgers comes in, and as much as Maryland's had time in the sun, I'm not convinced they'll be in the top half of the B1G anytime soon given their current state (results against Duke this season notwithstanding). They'll never reach the upper echelons anytime in the foreseeable future, but if Northwestern can commit to being a decent basketball program, it can assure itself of no worse than 9th out of 14 in the average season. A couple good scheduling breaks and an upset or two and you can find yourself with a .500 season and with a legit noncon schedule, Presto! You've broken the magic spell keeping you out of the NCAA Tournament all these years.

- Last time we were discussing Collins to an Illinois school, last year, it was Illinois. I think that would have been a better fit, in terms of having the institutional support in place needed to have some success, although it came at the cost of higher expectations. One the other hand, the time before that we were discussing Depaul. NW would be a significantly better opportunity than that graveyard of a job (although that might actually improve as a result of the Big East breakup).

Howland Gone

Howland out at UCLA per Yahoo LINK.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    That will get the carousel spinning

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    That will get the carousel spinning
    Well, count out Jamie Dixon, as he's been extended at Pitt through 2023(crazy!).

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...ference-today/

My guess is he told Pitt put your money where your mouth is or he was headed to USC.

EDIT: And I could really see Pastner at UCLA if the Bruins can't land a "Big Name":

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...ut-of-memphis/

I see that Mark Gottfried has been mentioned as a potential replacement for Ben Howland.
    Gottfried was an assistant under Jim Harrick at UCLA.

I would be very surprised to see UCLA hiring anyone with ties to Jim Harrick.
    Last edited by Blue KevIL; 03-23-2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Grammar

So now the biggest question is: where does Tony Parker head to to set screens and get rebounds??

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Well, count out Jamie Dixon, as he's been extended at Pitt through 2023(crazy!).

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...ference-today/

My guess is he told Pitt put your money where your mouth is or he was headed to USC.

EDIT: And I could really see Pastner at UCLA if the Bruins can't land a "Big Name":

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...ut-of-memphis/

Best response was Barkely who quipped, "He lost didn't he? Could have gotten one through 2050 had they won." Dixon always struck me as one of those guys who is very good but not in that elite group.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue KevIL View Post
    I see that Mark Gottfried has been mentioned as a potential replacement for Ben Howland.
    Gottfried was an assistant under Jim Harrick at UCLA.

I would be very surprised to see UCLA hiring anyone with ties to Jim Harrick.
    State Fan will go berserk if Gott leaves. They will blame both K and Roy and the refs.

why would they want Gott?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    I can't believe he'd have been a target, would he have? Why go hire a second guy in a row from Pitt, this one who's shown a propensity for underachieving tourney teams?

I'll be happy as long as they don't go and get Brad Stevens.

If the world of college basketball was waiting for a job worthy of Brad Stevens to move to... here we go. Forget about the contract; Ucla definitely has people willing to make this happen.

All of the persistent Duke hyperventilation over Brad Stevens has me convinced that Brad Stevens will never coach here.

I'd be very happy for someone to rub this post in my face in 2022.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I predict that Stevens will be coaching in one of the top six power conferences as early as next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I predict that Stevens will be coaching in one of the top six power conferences as early as next season.
    Bold! Meanwhile, Mick Cronin and Kevin Ollie could be working in a mid-major conference next year.

UCLA apparently wants Shaka or Stevens. How creative and quaint.

I doubt they get either...

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    UCLA apparently wants Shaka or Stevens. How creative and quaint.

I doubt they get either...
    I agree. I just can't see either of them leaving, at least not right now anyway. Of course I have nothing to back this up, just what my gut tells me.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I agree. I just can't see either of them leaving, at least not right now anyway. Of course I have nothing to back this up, just what my gut tells me.
    Those 2 basically have blank checks waiting for them whenever they want to leave. But UCLA is a major program so turning down Illinois or NC State isn't exactly comparable. Stevens is going to the BE so he might want to try that on for size and neither has shown any urgency in moving. The only fear is that if you don't move when you can, you might not get the chance later.

But you have to think as they start to get more competitive and realize the disadvantage they are at, they'll want to make the move. Not even from their own financial standpoint, but the resources that the other schools have for facilities and staff. Recalling the Butler Moneyball article, I think Stevens pretty much said he couldn't really pay Cannon. Imagine Duke coming and offering him a contract that Butler can't compete with.

UCLA isn't in great shape but there have been far worse major programs like IU. I doubt either makes the move but it wouldn't surprise me.

it's much easier to get a new coach come to an established competitor than a dumpster fire...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Ucla now denying Howland has been fired. Seems inevitable but maybe they weren't ready to tell the world yet.