Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Grantland piece - most hated college basketball player of last 30 years

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-last-30-years

The article presents a tourney style bracket with the 4 sides of the bracket as Duke-80s-90s-2000s. The writer explains that the Duke side of the bracket was needed to prevent a final four of all Duke players.

My reason for posting this? I actually found it a funny read. The author writes:
    "Of course, the Duke alumni and coaches and players must know that the real reason they are hated is because they are so damn good. And for all of us college basketball fans who are so damn stubborn, hating Duke is the most comfortable and covert way to appreciate the program's team success and the individual brilliance of guys like Elton Brand, Jay Williams, and Grant Hill."

So here's to being hated!

Where's Dante Calabria? That guy still makes me angry.

Also, only three Carolina guys? This can't be right. I think there should be a DBR version of this bracket filled with the Nick Caner-Medley's of the world. Pehaps in the off-season...
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Thanks for posting

Agreed it is not a standard Duke rip job with statements like this

Besides, isn't being hated by the rest of America essential to the experience of supporting Duke?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-last-30-years

I can't take this article seriously if J.R. Reid failed to make the list.

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    I can't take this article seriously if J.R. Reid failed to make the list.
    Makhtar N'Diaye.

I like it but I sort of wish the Duke guys were peppered elsewhere in the bracket so I could see how some of them might do against players from other schools. All of us here on DBr are finely attuned to Duke matters. I would be really interested in seeing Danny Ferry against Patrick Ewing in a "most hated" contest or Wojo versus Eric Montross. Instead, we will only get to see Dukie versus Dukies... no measure of us against the rest of the college hoops landscape.

-Jason "still fun!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I like it but I sort of wish the Duke guys were peppered elsewhere in the bracket so I could see how some of them might do against players from other schools. All of us here on DBr are finely attuned to Duke matters. I would be really interested in seeing Danny Ferry against Patrick Ewing in a "most hated" contest or Wojo versus Eric Montross. Instead, we will only get to see Dukie versus Dukies... no measure of us against the rest of the college hoops landscape.

-Jason "still fun!" Evans
    Do you honestly think that the non-Duke player would have "won" any of those battles? Maybe, maybe, if someone like Ferry or Battier was up against Ewing, as you suggest, but otherwise, I agree with the author - it would have been an all-Duke final four.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanSince1990 View Post
    Makhtar N'Diaye.
    Where's Me.jpg

Would like to see an ACC version of this so I could include a couple of players I really hated that weren't significant enough on a national level to make this one. Dave Neal and Deron Washington come to mind.

yeah, its fine that this isn't the normal anti-Duke hit piece, but that it exists irritates me.

And the explanation, that of course, if we didn't segregate the bracket, it would be all-Duke Final Four, irritates me.

At least this piece acknowledges that the Duke-hatred among people and the media who follow college basketball exists on a different plane than that of other teams. A view that, I have learned recently, is not actually held by some other prominent college basketball media members.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeFanSince1990 View Post
    Makhtar N'Diaye.

Definitely.

Among the choices presented, it was interesting that the Duke group included Austin Rivers. C'mon, he was only here for one year, and it wasn't a successful year by Duke standards. All the others are Duke fan favorites, so maybe he's there to give Duke fans someone to advance in that bracket.

I really enjoyed watching most of the non-Duke players as well. I never liked Michael Graham, and I grew to dislike Allen Iverson as a loudmouth pro. All the rest, though, I at least respect and some I downright admire. I have the most admiration for Hansbrough (as the writer stated, 4000 percent effort) and Craft (his defensive footwork ought to be studied by coaches everywhere).
    No soup for you!

Any list of hated Duke players since the 80s that does not include Dan Meagher is incomplete.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Any list of hated Duke players since the 80s that does not include Dan Meagher is incomplete.
    Or reflects that youth of the author and/or audience. Which is why I was stunned to see Danny Ferry on the list.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I say we skew the poll.

Because, really, is there any way Christian Laettner doesn't win?

I propose we band together and vote for anybody BUT Laettner. C'mon, who's with me? Yes, I've already voted for Greg Paulus in the first round. Greg Paulus makes a most hated list? Other than being white and going to Duke, what's Paulus doing on this list? Let's get him the victory!

I would have put Kenyon Martin up there pretty high.

Not clicking the link because I don't want to give them the hits.

My guess was that his editor said "hey, can you think of a way we can talk about how much everyone hates Christian Laettner again now that we're about to see 'the shot' 18 million times again this year?"

The writer then came up with the "most hated tournament," knowing what the outcome would be.

No one mentions that the editor is, in fact, Rick Pitino.

Reminds me of these:

http://www.bestads.tv/view/2788/vita...d-rick-pitino/

I think this is pretty hilarious. I thought it'd be between Hurley and Wojo but Hurley got a tough match up with JJ. Laettner seems like the cop out answer. And I'm not really sure how Battier makes the list. Probably put Scheyer on the list over Paulus or Rivers.

Lighten up! Haters gonna hate, and all that. Bask in the pride which Excellence engenders.

I'm just disappointed that Steve Blake didn't end up in the bracket. Also Chris Paul (no respect for nut punchers, even if it wasn't against my team). The "hated from a Duke perspective" list would be enjoyable for me.

Laettner will probably win. Most of the people who vote for him will have never seen him play. Half of the voters who vote for him couldn't pick him out of a police-type line-up with Frankenstein, Tonto, and Tarzan. Yawn.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Yeah, people affronted by this article really need to lighten up. I love that Duke gets its own bracket, no explanation needed.

By the way --- if you want a sneaky first round mega-upset, look for Danny Ainge to take down Patrick Ewing. You can thank me later.