Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ACC champs and a sweep of UNC- nice way to end the ACC season. Congrats to the team. Jones is really good!

Great Weekend

That was fun - men and women sweep uncch. And watching Alexis Jones is a real treat. Great game ladies.

What could Sylvia possibly be thinking? Her team's down 20+ and she's still got them intentionally fouling with 8.5 seconds left and pressing the inbounds pass with 1.5 seconds left. Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    What could Sylvia possibly be thinking? Her team's down 20+ and she's still got them intentionally fouling with 8.5 seconds left and pressing the inbounds pass with 1.5 seconds left. Really?
    Practicing end game situations for next week? It does seem a little ridiculous, though.

Congrats to the Women on a wonderful season so far. Look forward to the NCAAT and hoping they can make a push to the final four. Winning it all might be tough, but never out of the question. Good luck ladies, it's fun to watch you play!

Did you expect anything else from her?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

What a weekend to be a 2469.jpg!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

A rabid dog has a better temperament.

Antics like that make Sylvia thoroughly unlikeable.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I was there yesterday and will be again today, rooting the ladies on. I'll say an extra "Go To Hell carolina!" for y'all today!
    We've never met in person, but if DBR pictures are to be believed, I think you gave my son a mini basketball that you caught at the game yesterday. Is that right? It was very kind of you, and we appreciated it. If it wasn't you, don't tell me, and I'll keep giving you credit anyway.

Jones named tournament MVP. Joined on 1st team by Williams, Peters, TRP and Alyssa Thomas.

Liston on second team, along with Rolle, Coleman, Chelsea Douglas and Tianna Hawkins.

Duke shot 56.9% from the the field, the best in a title game since 1984.

Hatchell said in post-game that she thinks Duke is better with Jones at point then with Gray at point.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Hatchell said in post-game that she thinks Duke is better with Jones at point then with Gray at point.
    What the H... does she know? Just look at her.

Just imagine if Alexis ever learns to go right.

So now we're rooting for Texas A&M and UCLA. Worst case, we should now be locked into the number five overall seed. A Stanford loss tonight, or a UConn loss to ND in the Big East final on Tuesday, and we can actually start to think about a one.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Jones named tournament MVP. Joined on 1st team by Williams, Peters, TRP and Alyssa Thomas.

Liston on second team, along with Rolle, Coleman, Chelsea Douglas and Tianna Hawkins.

A huge congrats to Alexis, that is an amazing feat for a freshman, and well deserved. We were saying in chat she should be in consideration. (Haley was amazing too.) From the ACC's game notes..
    - With freshman Alexis Jones’ selection as the Most Valuable Player, it marks the seventh time a Duke student-athlete has claimed the honor. However, Jones is only the fi fth Blue Devil to win the award, as Iciss Tillis (2003 and 2004) and Jasmine Thomas (2010 and 2011) were both back-to-back honorees.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

In Fairness...

Sylvia put the clamps down on McDaniel near the end. After getting caught on a sideline push, she began to mouth off and move toward Duke players in a very aggressive manner that looked as though it could lead to something violent. Reading lips is tough to do for words coming from someone that doesn't have any, but it appeared to me that she was telling McDaniel to shut up.
    After the first free throw, McDaniel was subbed for a seat on the bench.

Great game from the Duke women. A well deserved win. All hail our Champions! Nice to see that Alexis' father could attend.

And speaking of Alexis Jones

Jones was Duke's top recruit this year, as she was ranked #3 by ESPN while being surrounded by UConn signees at 1, 2, and 6. Duke's other ranked recruits were Sierra Moore at 49 and Katie Heckman at 80:

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls...s/_/class/2012

Fast forward to this year's senior class and Duke has Rebecca Greenwell (#6), Oderah Chittom (10), Kendall Cooper (12), and Kianna Holland (32), which is even more impressive than last year. That's great, but I was surprised to see that UConn's top recruit is ranked #75.

Does anyone know what's going on here? Does UConn have so much talent stockpiled that this year's senior class decided to stay away, or are Duke and Notre Dame (and UNC, I hate to say) starting to catch up in the recruiting wars?

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls...s/_/class/2013

Finally, I certainly won't mind having Notre Dame as Duke's second rival instead of Maryland. At least ND WBB doesn't make me gag.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Sylvia put the clamps down on McDaniel near the end. After getting caught on a sideline push, she began to mouth off and move toward Duke players in a very aggressive manner that looked as though it could lead to something violent. Reading lips is tough to do for words coming from someone that doesn't have any, but it appeared to me that she was telling McDaniel to shut up.
    After the first free throw, McDaniel was subbed for a seat on the bench.

Great game from the Duke women. A well deserved win. All hail our Champions! Nice to see that Alexis' father could attend.
    McDaniel was "chippy" during the handshake row and leaving the court after the game. IIRC, she was the one who pushed Chelsea into the goal support over in Chapel Hill earlier this year.

Unfortunately, she's only a freshman, so three more years of her crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lid View Post
    We've never met in person, but if DBR pictures are to be believed, I think you gave my son a mini basketball that you caught at the game yesterday. Is that right? It was very kind of you, and we appreciated it. If it wasn't you, don't tell me, and I'll keep giving you credit anyway.
    It was me. He was sitting in Section 111, about row H, right? He was 2 rows behind me. And I just gave you some Zporkz, too!

Our ladies played great today too! Congrats to our newest ACC Champions! And to Lexie for winning the Tourney MVP award!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

McDaniel plays with the same edge as her father. It's a good edge when properly channeled. Not so good, when left unchanneled.

Jones, btw, is the first freshman to be named tourny MVP since Duke's Monique Currie in 2002.

This is the third UNC Duke game I have watched this year. I don't understand Hatchell's coaching at all. Yes, it is of course a good idea to play tough defense, but she has her players playing incredibly physical all 90 feet of the court to the detriment of everything else. And pressing Alexis Jones makes no sense. She is best in the open floor, and once she breaks the press she is free to jet down the court (particularly to her left). Moreover, Duke shoots too well. All Hatchell's strategy does is cause Duke to score 90 points, a score which in the women's game is rarely overcome. I have no idea what she is thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by rogermortimer View Post
    This is the third UNC Duke game I have watched this year. I don't understand Hatchell's coaching at all. Yes, it is of course a good idea to play tough defense, but she has her players playing incredibly physical all 90 feet of the court to the detriment of everything else. And pressing Alexis Jones makes no sense. She is best in the open floor, and once she breaks the press she is free to jet down the court (particularly to her left). Moreover, Duke shoots too well. All Hatchell's strategy does is cause Duke to score 90 points, a score which in the women's game is rarely overcome. I have no idea what she is thinking.
    When she's won, she's won by running and pressing and she's not about to change.