Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

Are you ready for the Snow... Noquester?

Looks like the DC area could get nailed by a late-season snowstorm this week. The local weather guys have dubbed this one the "Snowquester". Cute.

I live out near Dulles Airport. Right now, they say there's a 30% chance of 10" or more around here. The European model is showing even greater amounts, and that model has been the more accurate one of late. The American model's accumulation predictions have been growing steadily over the last 48 hours.

Here's a link to some good local weather discussions: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...1394_blog.html

Time for French Toast runs to the store - milk, eggs, and bread will be in short supply.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I'm ready for it! Did my store runs today and I have the essentials and am ready to go. Hopefully some snow football will be a part of my Wednesday evening plans!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

the Bread And Milk Consortium owns you...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Geez, we'll be driving back from the 'Ham and the vtech game.
    Our beer supply is already laid in at the homestead though.
    Last edited by weezie; 03-04-2013 at 08:39 AM.

If the federal government plans ahead for Snowquester by shutting down for 2 snow days, they will have saved almost enough money to pay for the Sequester! Our politicians drop the ball...Mother Nature picks it up and runs it in for a touchdown.

And the obligatory to keep this out of cranky PPB territory!

My wife was just at Wegmans at Dulles 28 for the normal week's grocery run and said it was crazier than she's seen before. As long as power and internet stay up, I'll be ok with it.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

We still have 35 out of the 36 bottled waters my wife bought for the last big panic. (I was yelled at for drinking one unnecessarily...)

Wegman's at Dulles 28 is a zoo on a normal day - snowstorm prep days are off the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    We still have 35 out of the 36 bottled waters my wife bought for the last big panic. (I was yelled at for drinking one unnecessarily...)

Wegman's at Dulles 28 is a zoo on a normal day - snowstorm prep days are off the charts.
    Of course you were yelled at for drinking the water. You should have had a beer instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Of course you were yelled at for drinking the water. You should have had a beer instead.
    "Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses"

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    See? Told ya'

I'm thinking our Boston DBR members are probably not amused by our hopeful glee at getting some snow...

Ten inches and counting up here since yesterday afternoon. Y'all are a bunch of wimps.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

I'm thinking our Boston DBR members are probably not amused by our hopeful glee at getting some snow...
    Seriously...up here in MA, I'm finally seeing some grassy spots in my backyard after the blizzard..and now this morning they are talking about the storm taking a turn up the coast. You can keep the snow down in dc.. I'm ready for spring

Winter Storm Warnings released - here's the link: http://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/w...torm%20warning

Looks like 8-10 inches of heavy wet snow is the prediction here in eastern Loudoun County. Folks out in the Shenandoah Valley could see 18+.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Just thought I'd throw in that I don't miss this at all.

Which means that when I graduate, I'll end up taking a job back East again...

I'm just hoping the roads stay reasonably clear until I get home after the game tonight...

-jk

Sounds like DC ended up barely getting any snow whatsoever...more like just some slushy rain. These "meteorologists" have jobs?
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/06/us/win...her/index.html

Although some parts of Virginia seem to have gotten quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Sounds like DC ended up barely getting any snow whatsoever...more like just some slushy rain. These "meteorologists" have jobs?
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/06/us/win...her/index.html

Although some parts of Virginia seem to have gotten quite a bit.
    Pretty much. We had some snow overnight, but it turned into rain this morning, which got rid of whatever accumulated. Seems like we've been just missed by every winter storm this year.

This was, apparently, a tricky storm to predict. Temperatures were around 50 on Tuesday here, so it had to cool down a lot to allow the snow to start accumulating. A lot of the forecasters bought into the models that showed it would cool sufficiently for the I-95 corridor to see a lot of snow. Points west of the corridor (like me) saw several inches today, but folks in downtown never got anything but rain. One guy posted a side by side picture of Arlington National Cemetery, which had no snow on the grass, and his home 4 miles away that had the kids building snowmen in Arlington.

Meanwhile, folks south and west of here got hammered by 18-20 inches of heavy, wet snow. Lots of power outages in central and western Virginia today.
    JBDuke

In Dupont and downtown, it snowed hard for about 10 minutes, but none of it stuck to the ground. The rest of the time it was just rain. It was a complete fail.

On the flip side, I did make Buzzfeed: http://www.buzzfeed.com/danoshinsky/...ng-a-snowstorm
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I'm just hoping the roads stay reasonably clear until I get home after the game tonight...

-jk
    Ugliness from a bit north of Richmond to a bit north of Fredericksburg last night. Otherwise, nothing but slush in MoCo. My kids are really grumpy. Waste of a good snow day.

-jk