Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Gbinije is from Richmond.

And this was a joke that was in really poor taste.
    Not only that - it wasnt funny. Deng was from England.

Deng

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Not only that - it wasnt funny. Deng was from England.
    He was from Sudan before he was from England

I had heard that recruiting wasn't over, but we'd be looking at some talented 5th year grad student type guys who had one year of eligibility left and could transfer and play right away next year. Like what carolina did last year to get an extra big man. Maybe another backup point guard would be nice?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I had heard that recruiting wasn't over, but we'd be looking at some talented 5th year grad student type guys who had one year of eligibility left and could transfer and play right away next year. Like what carolina did last year to get an extra big man. Maybe another backup point guard would be nice?
    My guess is Sulaimon is the backup PG next year when not at the 2. Don't forget about TT, too.

Need a big man?

Quote Originally Posted by Dukeblue91 View Post
    I have to be honest I'm not sure why Duke is looking at him.
    Having said that if Coach K thinks that he should be on the team then he must have his reasons and who am I to argue with him about basketball.
    There has to be something the coaches see that we have not as of yet.
    We need someone who is big and tough next year. Who will that be? Marshall? Josh? Amile? Others?

Maybe he is being looked at as a strong inside presence.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    With all the talent we'll have next year, especially perimeter talent, I can't imagine we'd go for a backup point guard. I'd also be pretty surprised if we seriously went after a freshman like this Agbeko kid, unless we viewed him as a long-term project. And as for the 5th year grad student option, I imagine we'd be happy to take an Alex Oriakhi-type talent, who would possibly start or at least play major rotation minutes, but I find it hard to see us be too interested in a Justin Knox type who would only see 5 or 10 minutes and would take those minutes away from guys we want to develop (Amile, Alex, Semi, Marshall) without being an obvious upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    We are often one of the first high-major schools involved for late-bloomers / fast-risers like Agbeko or Carrick Felix.
    That may be true in general, but we whiffed on this guy.

http://articles.dailypilot.com/2012-...iaye-uc-irvine

Any chance we bring in this guy and redshirt him for a year? In 2014 Jabari will likely be gone, Hood may be gone if you believe the hype, Hairston will be gone, plus Tyler and Dawkins will be gone. So we'll have plenty of scholarships and not much size inside, though obviously we're chasing some other recruits in that class.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    That may be true in general, but we whiffed on this guy.

http://articles.dailypilot.com/2012-...iaye-uc-irvine
    We have a google block on anybody with the name Ndiaye

Updates?

Any updates on this big fella? I know a lot of people are already panicking about the "lack of interior depth", as if Duke actually uses it's big men for anything other than setting screens ... I definitely agree with most posters in this thread that I don't see Agbeko as an immediate contender for playing time given that we have Marshall, Amile, and Josh to hold down the post next season. I do, however, see him as a prospect that the program could really use for the future. We are pretty much all expecting Parker to be gone after next year, along with Hairston graduating. That leaves two true post players left;Plumlee and Jefferson (I don't consider Murphy or Ojeleye a true post players, rather "wings"). What happens if we don't land Okafor or Looney? If we do land one, either could easily (probably) be one-and-doners. We have plenty of scholarships available, why not use one on a four year guy that could develop into a solid role player?

On a side note, what ever happened to the lacrosse player Myles Jones who was talking about walking on the basketball team? Is that still a possibilty? I'd love another Reggie Love type walk-on!

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    On a side note, what ever happened to the lacrosse player Myles Jones who was talking about walking on the basketball team? Is that still a possibilty? I'd love another Reggie Love type walk-on!
    I don't know how much lax you've watched this spring, but we have learned one thing about Myles Jones that wasn't evident in watching him in high school all-star games: he is sloooooooooooow by D1 standards.

Things have cooled considerably between Duke and Agbeko.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Things have cooled considerably between Duke and Agbeko.
    Could that open the door for a local school that just hired a new coach?

Will anyone leave

It appears we will be very deep on the perimeter next year. Quinn, Tyler, Rasheed, Matt, Andre and Rodney Hood. In addition we have Semi, Jabari, Alex and Amile who are somewhat flexible as SF/PF candidates. We also have Josh and Marshall for interior (C/PF).

The coaching staff has information and opinions about where people will play and probably some advance idea about anyone who may decide not to play and/or transfer. The area of weakness that most of the fans seem concerned about is the front court. We have Marshall who has not really cracked the lineup this year and Josh who is undersized and is not throught about as a starter. Possibly Jabari could play some PF if it suits his game and then there is Amile who may add some strength for next year. Clearly there is a need for a true inside player of size and ability. I doubt if we will find this player so late in the recruiting season but who knows what is going on behind the scenes? Not me! I can't see looking at a big guy who is a project, since that kind of a player wouldn't help us next season anyway. Better to recruit a big in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    It appears we will be very deep on the perimeter next year. Quinn, Tyler, Rasheed, Matt, Andre and Rodney Hood. In addition we have Semi, Jabari, Alex and Amile who are somewhat flexible as SF/PF candidates. We also have Josh and Marshall for interior (C/PF).

The coaching staff has information and opinions about where people will play and probably some advance idea about anyone who may decide not to play and/or transfer. The area of weakness that most of the fans seem concerned about is the front court. We have Marshall who has not really cracked the lineup this year and Josh who is undersized and is not throught about as a starter. Possibly Jabari could play some PF if it suits his game and then there is Amile who may add some strength for next year. Clearly there is a need for a true inside player of size and ability. I doubt if we will find this player so late in the recruiting season but who knows what is going on behind the scenes? Not me! I can't see looking at a big guy who is a project, since that kind of a player wouldn't help us next season anyway. Better to recruit a big in 2014.
    Yeah, I'll be surprised if we add anyone to next year's team. We'll just have to hope that Parker can dominate at PF and the trio of Plumlee, Hairston, and Jefferson can hold down the fort at backup PF and at C. I doubt there'll be a fifth-year guy available that is an upgrade over Plumlee/Hairston/Jefferson (especially considering those guys will be much more familiar with Duke's defensive principles).

As for the title of your post (which doesn't really seem to connect to your post), I don't see anyone leaving before next year. The two guys most in danger of losing playing time (Murphy and Plumlee) have already redshirted, and seem to really like being at Duke. The rest of the backups are either freshmen or seniors, so they're less likely to leave anyway. Of course, in this era, you just never know. But I'd tend to think we'll be alright with regards to the dreaded transfer.