Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coach K will no longer coach USA basketball team

He made the announcement on Mike & Mike this morning. To say the least, it has been a good ride. Here is the link:

http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketba...-coach-7-years

Not to be polite, but didn't we already know this? I thought he already announced that he wouldn't coach the USA team anymore. Maybe I'm wrong.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm really glad he's not coaching it anymore. It stressed me out a great deal. I kept thinking what would happen if somehow they didn't manage to win the gold medal; how much fuel for the anti-Duke, anti-Coach K sentiment would that provide?

Besides, he doesn't have anything left to prove on the international stage.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

A papal election and a new Team USA Coach selection all in the same year. I wonder when the white puff of smoke will emerge from Arizona?

I vote for Pop.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Not to be polite, but didn't we already know this? I thought he already announced that he wouldn't coach the USA team anymore. Maybe I'm wrong.
    It was generally assumed, but, as far as I know, he never came out and definitively said, "I'm not coming back as coach." Jerry Colangelo kept saying he was trying to get Coach K back. This is the first definitive statement I've personally seen, so thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    It was generally assumed, but, as far as I know, he never came out and definitively said, "I'm not coming back as coach." Jerry Colangelo kept saying he was trying to get Coach K back. This is the first definitive statement I've personally seen, so thanks for the link.
    My bad.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    A papal election and a new Team USA Coach selection all in the same year. I wonder when the white puff of smoke will emerge from Arizona?
    If Coach K cleans up his language I think he will be a shoo in.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 02-26-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: tags

[QUOTE=AtlDuke72;630248]

If Coach K cleans up his language I think he will be a shoo in.
    Um, one wife, three children, and five grandchildren say no--assuming you were referring to the Vatican smoke, not the Arizona smoke.

Granted, the being on the front page of ESPN does not make something newsworthy (Favre, T'eo, etc.), but they do have quotes from K's interview on the front page right now.

[QUOTE=MCFinARL;630250]
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post

Um, one wife, three children, and five grandchildren say no--assuming you were referring to the Vatican smoke, not the Arizona smoke.
    Definitely Vatican smoke . . . but I agree that there are a few details that will have to be worked out.

[QUOTE=MCFinARL;630250]
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post

http://hnn.us/articles/696.html

It could happen!!!! Coach K for Pope!

[QUOTE=davekay1971;630259]
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post

http://hnn.us/articles/696.html

It could happen!!!! Coach K for Pope!
    Umm, NO! Coach K for Duke basketball coach!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

The best coaches in the NBA - Phil Jackson, Greg Popovich and Doc Rivers - should be the first target. I think Doc would be interested, Popovich maybe interested. Phil would be unlikely to get involved, and probably does not have the energy to give it everything it takes to win the gold based on the fact that he wanted to skip out on some of the Lakers away games had he been named coach this year.

I am not sure there is an obvious college coach to draft. I think Tom Izzo and Jim Boeheim could be targets, with Izzo being the most likely to receive interest and give serious consideration.

If I were Colangelo, I'd go after Popovich, Doc, and Izzo in that order. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

If I were Colangelo, I'd go after Popovich, Doc, and Izzo in that order. We shall see.
    And thinking long-term, Colangelo should figure a way to get Brad Stevens as the new coach's top assistant. If he succeeds, Stevens would likely be in the bag as a future USA head coach

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    And thinking long-term, Colangelo should figure a way to get Brad Stevens as the new coach's top assistant. If he succeeds, Stevens would likely be in the bag as a future USA head coach
    In that line of thinking, I believe Boeheim has been K's assistant for each of the past 2 Olympic games (so has Nate McMillen and Mike D'Antoni). It would make perfect sense for Boeheim to retire from Syracuse and do the USA Olympic thing as his coaching swan song. He knows the international system from his 2 stints with K and he certainly has the basketball know-how.

A pattern of assistants moving on to head coach makes a lot of sense for this job, that is somewhat unique from either college or pro coaching gigs. So, if you want to put Stevens or Izzo or someone else like that on Boeheim's staff to groom them for the 2020 Olympic gig, that would be just fine. I bet Collangelo and K would be quite comfortable with Boeheim taking over the reins as well.

-Jason "I would make Jimmy B a strong favorite to get this job at this point... if he wants it" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I get that Brad Stevens is a great college coach, but what has he done to this point in his career to suggest that he has the total package necessary to command the respect of NBA All Stars? He's coached a total of 2 NBA players. When K got the job, he'd coached more than 20, let alone won 3 natties. I don't think that kind of criteria can be ignored. Stevens doesn't exactly have an NBA brand.

It's not a job that comes around very often, let's see Wonderboy win some National Titles before handing him a coveted lifetime achievement award, which is essentially what the USA Coaching gig is.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "I would make Jimmy B a strong favorite to get this job at this point... if he wants it" Evans
    I'd be shocked if Boeheim got the job. I don't see Lebron throwing on the red, white and blue for a 4th Olympics to play for whiny Jim, unless Melo campaigns hard. Plus, I think his recent press conference meltdowns work against him.

No More National Team Duties? Next Coach?

The front page says no more duties. I will bet that K will be consulted on some matters - maybe the next coach, etc. Also the next coach should certainly contact K and get his ideas on what needs to be done to coach the team.

Assuming NBA players, then one of the more important factors in selection will be the ability to get the respect of the players. I would guess Izzo yes, Boeheim maybe and Stevens no. Top NBA coaches yes.

My personal choice would be Doug Collins. He is a good coach and has a history as a player in the game when the USA was robbed.

SoCal

I'd be shocked if Boeheim got the job. I don't see Lebron throwing on the red, white and blue for a 4th Olympics to play for whiny Jim, unless Melo campaigns hard. Plus, I think his recent press conference meltdowns work against him.
    Do they allow zone defenses in the Olympics? Would any of the pros want to play zone? Does Boeheim know how to coach man-to-man?

Not trying to be snarky. I really do not know the answer to the above questions.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Do they allow zone defenses in the Olympics? Would any of the pros want to play zone? Does Boeheim know how to coach man-to-man?

Not trying to be snarky. I really do not know the answer to the above questions.
    Zones - yes
    Pros playing zone - maybe, they are more used to man
    Boeheim and man to man - it's not what he's focused on

I think your questions argue against his candidacy, but I just don't see him as the top dog. K is the master communicator. Pop and Doc have the respect of the current crop of NBA All Stars. I can't see Doug Collins, either, because I really don't think his coaching record justifies his candidacy, and I think the players empathize with his 1972 plight but I don't think he's a coach that players yearn to play for.

After Pop and Doc, Cal would be the best fit for the players but his rep sinks him. Izzo is interesting. The schedule fits better for a college coach then a pro due to the length of the season.

Good for Mike. He restored faith in US Basketball after the failure in 2004, and the grueling grind and travel of the U.S. team is a lot. K deserves to relax, and focus on his first love.