Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

WBB: (5) Duke 81, Wake Forest 70

Game tied at 22 at the eight minute TO. Worse, Chelsea Gray went down with a knee injury. She was screaming, probably knows it's bad. She went straight to the locker room, and I assume Duke Hospital.

Chelsea

The injury didn't look good. Let's keep our fingers crossed, for her sake.

I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.

WBB: Injury bug bites the ladies

Duke is up on Wake at the half 37-28; however, the real news is Chelsea Gray was helped off the court after incurring a right knee injury. The announcers have stated she will not return. Hopefully the injury is not as bad as it looked.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.
    Assuming that the banned word you tried to type started with an S, that's exactly what Chelsea said. It was audible all throughout Cameron.

Update: some folks here have heard from doctors who think it's a dislocated kneecap. Chelsea just returned to Cameron floor.

81-70 final score. Duke closes with a 14-3 run. Tricia Liston was awesome today with 29 points. This team is exciting to watch.
    Bob Green

Chelsea sat on the bench for the second half, with a wicked-looking immobilizer on her knee. It looked like her leg was wrapped with Ace bandages from the bottom of her shorts to her ankle.

Prayers and vibes for her, and for the team. If Chelsea is out for the rest of the year, we are in trouble.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Radio broadcast spoke to Coach P, reported a dislocated kneecap. Ugh.
    Not the prettiest of wins, but give Wake lots of credit for never quitting.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Dislocated right kneecap.

MRI tomorrow.

Definitely out for the remainder of the regular season.

If the MRI does not show any ligament damage or other damage, there is a chance she could be back for the post-season.

If the MRI does show ligament or other damage, she's looking at 2-4 months of down time.

Obviously, we all hope for the best for Chelsea, but if we have to lose one of our top three players, better her than Haley or EWill. We have Chloe and Lexi to step in at the point. With Amber and Katie both down for the year already, we have no front-court depth at all.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Obviously, we all hope for the best for Chelsea, but if we have to lose one of our top three players, better her than Haley or EWill. We have Chloe and Lexi to step in at the point. With Amber and Katie both down for the year already, we have no front-court depth at all.
    Lose the probable (until today) ACC POY? Chloe and Alexis are not able to step in at the same level. It took Tricia to lead the team today as the primary ball handler (and scorer.) We also lose her size on defense. She was the main reason that Thomas had an off-night on Monday. Without her, we're not a contender for the Final Four.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Dislocated right kneecap.

MRI tomorrow.

Definitely out for the remainder of the regular season.

If the MRI does not show any ligament damage or other damage, there is a chance she could be back for the post-season.

If the MRI does show ligament or other damage, she's looking at 2-4 months of down time.
    BTW, JimSum, thanks for facebooking this during the game. I was following in real time. So frustrating.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Here is the ESPN story:

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-ba...ue-devils-game

It sounds like she was in a great deal of pain. I sure hope that she is ok long-term. Such a dynamic player. How did it happen?

Any thoughts on how we'll likely play (and with who at point/how much) until we can get her back, assuming it is in a month?

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Here is the ESPN story:

It sounds like she was in a great deal of pain. I sure hope that she is ok long-term. Such a dynamic player. How did it happen?

Any thoughts on how we'll likely play (and with who at point/how much) until we can get her back, assuming it is in a month?
    She went up for a rebound and a girl from WFU came down on her shoulder and she landed awkwardly and her knee buckled. It was a tough foul but it didn't look intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Here is the ESPN story:

It was an ordinary, dime-a-dozen rebound foul. Sometimes, bad injuries come from the most mundane places.

My feeling is that Alexis Jones becomes real, real important. She has been in a bit of a freshman funk but it's time for her to lose the rookie mistakes and elevate her game. She's a major talent who needs to play like a major talent.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Lose the probable (until today) ACC POY? Chloe and Alexis are not able to step in at the same level. It took Tricia to lead the team today as the primary ball handler (and scorer.) We also lose her size on defense. She was the main reason that Thomas had an off-night on Monday. Without her, we're not a contender for the Final Four.
    I have more confidence than you. I love the way this team (and seemingly all Duke women's teams) always play as a true group. Yes, losing Chelsea is huge, but we have been thin before and done remarkably well. Does it mean no FF? Maybe, but it also does not immediately discount it as a possibility either.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I completely agree. Chelsea runs the offense and often takes the whole team on her back (see: Maryland win). Without her we're still good enough to beat most teams, but with her we have a much better chance vs. other top 10 teams. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I have more confidence than you. I love the way this team (and seemingly all Duke women's teams) always play as a true group. Yes, losing Chelsea is huge, but we have been thin before and done remarkably well. Does it mean no FF? Maybe, but it also does not immediately discount it as a possibility either.
    McCallie hasn't taken Duke to the FF yet as it is, so I can see some room for pessimism here.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 02-18-2013 at 03:38 PM.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I posted yesterday, not that long after the game. So I was quite a bit more pessimistic. I was also reacting to Burnspbesq's post (seemingly to me) implying that losing Chelsea wasn't a big deal, since we have Chloe and Alexis to fill in. Re-reading, I realize that's not what Burnspbesq meant, so sorry about venting in my response.

I don't feel that post players are as important in the women's game, as the game is played below the rim (outside of Griner.) Height is important, but as the guard for Wake yesterday, Douglass, showed, it's not all there is. Of course, "hiding" her on defense was important, as any of our guards could post her up. (Chloe was the one who tried the most, since that's who Douglass guarded, but we didn't get the ball to her often enough.) So losing Elizabeth, or not having the depth there, isn't quite as much of a handicap as it is currently on the men's team without Ryan. (Relative to how we played with him; we're still pretty good without him.)

Looking at the second half yesterday, I was really impressed with Tricia's play at the point. Obviously, she's not fast like Alexis or Chloe, but more steady. Somewhat like having Jon Scheyer be point guard instead of Nolan Smith, if I can use a men's team analogy. Tricia's basketball IQ is about the highest on the team, either her or Haley (with Chelsea out.) Fortunately, she has played the point at times this year, so the adjustment may be easier than first thought. Just as Coach P played Alexis and Chloe at the point at times, to help prepare in case of emergency. Of course, we all thought the "emergency" would be Chelsea in foul trouble.

I think the biggest difference is on defense, where Chelsea took on big assignments. Last Monday, she was the reason Thomas had a very subpar game. Chelsea defended her one-on-one for much of the game.

We'll see Friday how we react and respond, and see how a week's practice allows us to adjust.

sorry about venting in my response.
    No worries, mate.

The inevitable speculation about how Chelsea' injury might affect our play going forward and our NCAA tournament seeding.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-ba...devils-seeding