Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    When I arrived on campus 40 years ago next month, the helmets had the script Duke with the devil’s tail on th e D. That stayed with various colors until 2004 when Ted Roof decided it looked dumb, and replaced it with the Iron Duke D. Didn’t help. I’ve always liked the script D on the helmets. Love the old school devils head more, though.
    The script on the FB helmets now looks very clean, very sharp. I can't remember if that's the same script from Roofs era and before. As for the Iron D, I know McGee's teams used that - prior to Roof. In this day of multiple uniforms, I like the Iron D or the DUKE script - not crazy about the cartoonish devils head.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    The script on the FB helmets now looks very clean, very sharp. I can't remember if that's the same script from Roofs era and before. As for the Iron D, I know McGee's teams used that - prior to Roof. In this day of multiple uniforms, I like the Iron D or the DUKE script - not crazy about the cartoonish devils head.
    Helmets where white with the script “Duke” when I was an undergrad. I always found that look to be pretty cheesy (there is a reason why script is rarely is used in football IMHO), and welcomed the switch to the Iron Duke D. But I was surprisingly OK with the script helmets in our bowl game, and can deal with them as a limited use alternate look. Indifferent to the Devil head, and have a strong preference for the white or blue Iron Duke D versions, and wish we stuck with those two for the vast majority of games.