Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

NBA Trade Deadline 2/21/13. JJ Redick to Milwaukee.

The trade deadline is approaching and there's some moderate sized names likely to get dealt, and a few big name players likely to stay put for various reasons.

Espn's Marc Stein has a pretty good run down of what is going on right here. Among the intriguing possibilities - Ainge blowing up the Celtics, the Lakers making a panic deal and a bunch of teams going after Josh Smith.

JJ Redick is also involved in a lot of rumors, and here's what the local paper has to say. Sounds like JJ is staying put.

If there is a deal out there that might change the outcome of the NBA Finals this year, I have not seen it. A lot of these deals are more likely designed to cut cap, or to get pennies on the dollar for a guy leaving after the season.

Super "Let the games begin!" Dave

Personally, I'd like to see him traded. I've watched a fair amount of Orlando the last few years. I've got a fairly negative opinion of many of their players, in that I think they typify the worst of the "NBA" player stereotype. They are selfish, particularly at point guard, and don't move the ball very well. There are plenty of teams where JJ would have a better chance to win and a better chance to contribute. I know he is having his best year, but I think he'd do much better in the right situation.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    The trade deadline is approaching and there's some moderate sized names likely to get dealt, and a few big name players likely to stay put for various reasons.

Espn's Marc Stein has a pretty good run down of what is going on right here. Among the intriguing possibilities - Ainge blowing up the Celtics, the Lakers making a panic deal and a bunch of teams going after Josh Smith.

JJ Redick is also involved in a lot of rumors, and here's what the local paper has to say. Sounds like JJ is staying put.

If there is a deal out there that might change the outcome of the NBA Finals this year, I have not seen it. A lot of these deals are more likely designed to cut cap, or to get pennies on the dollar for a guy leaving after the season.

Super "Let the games begin!" Dave

As a Bulls fan, I'd love to see Redick join the Bulls (assuming the price isn't too high). He'd be an upgrade over Hamilton and Belinelli at SG and would make for a nice offense/defense rotation with Jimmy Butler. And when Rose comes back, he'd provide good floor spacing for Rose.

That said, I doubt it'll happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    As a Bulls fan, I'd love to see Redick join the Bulls (assuming the price isn't too high). He'd be an upgrade over Hamilton and Belinelli at SG and would make for a nice offense/defense rotation with Jimmy Butler. And when Rose comes back, he'd provide good floor spacing for Rose.

That said, I doubt it'll happen.
    The Bulls offered JJ a few years back, but he was a restricted FA so Orlando match the offer sheet. He clearly fits with that team, especially when Derrick Rose is around. Orlando would be wise to flip JJ for a 1st round pick or a player while his stock is high. He's averaging 15 points and shooting 40% from 3. Sell high if you have any intention of selling!

More Thinking about a JJ Trade

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    The Bulls offered JJ a few years back, but he was a restricted FA so Orlando match the offer sheet. He clearly fits with that team, especially when Derrick Rose is around. Orlando would be wise to flip JJ for a 1st round pick or a player while his stock is high. He's averaging 15 points and shooting 40% from 3. Sell high if you have any intention of selling!
    It may be that JJ Redick will be the hottest player in the trade deadline machinations and there are lots of JJ rumors out there. He is playing great, is shooting lights out from 3, and becomes a free agent this summer. The last means he is probably gone anyway. The Magic are, of course, denying any interest in trading its most popular player. I expect, however, he will be gone in the next few days.

ESPN Insider thinks the Bulls are the best combo of need, salary cap, and tradeable talent (Marquis Teague and Rip Hamilton). A Rose and JJ backcourt could be very productive. But the Nuggets, Pacers and Bucks also have strong needs for outside shooting and may be in the picture.

The trade deadline is February 21 -- we and JJ won't have to wait long to find out what happens.

sagegrouse

Good article on what JJ would mean to certain teams...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...j-redick-trade

btw, it says insider but I was able to read it all without the insider access.

https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/statuse...39430664777729

Possible deal - JJ to Milwauke for Mbah A Moute and 1st round pick. Milwaukee's pick would be mid 1st round.

I cannot imagine JJ re-signing there as a restricted free agent.

Josh Smith

Same problem with Josh Smith trade proposals. Why would a team gamble on Josh if he will not re-sign? I am guessing a serious team would require some commitment or a signed extension to do a deal.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/54926/hawks-seem-determined-to-deal-josh-smith

Because of that, I do not think the Hawks will get more than 50-cents on the dollar for Smith. No big names in return. Pau Gasol seems plausible but the Lakers would have to take back another salary, and I doubt they would unless it was also expiring. Sounds like the Lakers will start clearing cap space for the future save for Kobe and any chance at re-signing Dwight.

How Redick has improved

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    It may be that JJ Redick will be the hottest player in the trade deadline machinations and there are lots of JJ rumors out there. He is playing great, is shooting lights out from 3, and becomes a free agent this summer. The last means he is probably gone anyway. The Magic are, of course, denying any interest in trading its most popular player. I expect, however, he will be gone in the next few days.

ESPN Insider thinks the Bulls are the best combo of need, salary cap, and tradeable talent (Marquis Teague and Rip Hamilton). A Rose and JJ backcourt could be very productive. But the Nuggets, Pacers and Bucks also have strong needs for outside shooting and may be in the picture.

The trade deadline is February 21 -- we and JJ won't have to wait long to find out what happens.
    sagegrouse
    I live in Florida in the winter and get most of the Magic games. JJ has really matured and improved as a player and it is not just his scoring ability. He is very good at getting the ball to players in scoring position and can both get to the basket and make mid range shots along with his signature 3's. His foul shooting is hanging around 90% but the most interesting part is that he has become a better defensive player. True he doesn't have great length or speed but he has the endurance to stay on his player and make it difficult for him to get a shot. As good as JJ was as a college player, I think he has made very significant improvement in many parts of his game. Hard to believe he has been in the league for 7 years already.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Good article on what JJ would mean to certain teams...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...j-redick-trade

btw, it says insider but I was able to read it all without the insider access.
    New York sports talk radio was babbling on today about a possible JJ for Iman Shumpert trade. Their consensus was that it would not help the Knicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    New York sports talk radio was babbling on today about a possible JJ for Iman Shumpert trade. Their consensus was that it would not help the Knicks.
    I tend to concur. Where are his shots coming from? Why would you trade a great defender in Shumpert who is also bigger, more physical, and younger and less expensive? On a team with Melo, Smith, Amare, Steve Novak, Felton...a guy like Shumpert can get in there and defend and body up while JJ's best assets (shooting and passing) are negated on a team where he will not be handling the ball and not be get more than 3 shots per game. The Knicks are the oldest team in the league in league history, and Iman for Redick has them going further down the path of older, expensive personnel.

JJ has turned into a very good player, but the Knicks are the worst destination I could imagine for him. Honestly I could see him doing well for the Lakers --a Steve Nash/Kobe backup, can let D'Antoni go small and play some Kobe at the SF. Bulls would be a fit and my preferred destination for him, but anywhere but Orlando. At this point in his career, JJ is looking for playing time and a contending team.

Chad Ford chat covering the trade deadline and some draft stuff. He thinks Nerlens still goes pro and is top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    I tend to concur. Where are his shots coming from? Why would you trade a great defender in Shumpert who is also bigger, more physical, and younger and less expensive? On a team with Melo, Smith, Amare, Steve Novak, Felton...a guy like Shumpert can get in there and defend and body up while JJ's best assets (shooting and passing) are negated on a team where he will not be handling the ball and not be get more than 3 shots per game. The Knicks are the oldest team in the league in league history, and Iman for Redick has them going further down the path of older, expensive personnel.

JJ has turned into a very good player, but the Knicks are the worst destination I could imagine for him. Honestly I could see him doing well for the Lakers --a Steve Nash/Kobe backup, can let D'Antoni go small and play some Kobe at the SF. Bulls would be a fit and my preferred destination for him, but anywhere but Orlando. At this point in his career, JJ is looking for playing time and a contending team.
    JJ to Bulls is getting some buzz. Joining Boozer and Deng would make it even harder for Duke fans not to root for the Bulls. Who knows - K might even be tempted to go home and coach that bunch

i could stand jj on the bulls....just can't stand to see him go to the celtics...or the knicks....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post

Maybe the Lakers should send Pau for him . Or move Dwight back.

Think the Lakers kept the receipt for that one?

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

Dwight is HUGELY overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

Hurt Dwight > No Bynum all year. Lakers won that Deal.

People are killing this Thomas Robinson to the Rockets deal from the Sac/Seattle side.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons
    And they should be! RT @zachlowe_nba: Folks around the league seem largely aghast/shocked/confused by what Kings did here.

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo
    Thomas Robinson: only 5th time in lottery era a top-5 pick is traded during his rookie season #Elias

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider
    Chauncey Billups, Derrick Favors, Drew Gooden, Donyell Marshall RT @TCurtis137: Who were the other 4 times?

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    People are killing this Thomas Robinson to the Rockets deal from the Sac/Seattle side.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons
    And they should be! RT @zachlowe_nba: Folks around the league seem largely aghast/shocked/confused by what Kings did here.

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo
    Thomas Robinson: only 5th time in lottery era a top-5 pick is traded during his rookie season #Elias

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider
    Chauncey Billups, Derrick Favors, Drew Gooden, Donyell Marshall RT @TCurtis137: Who were the other 4 times?
    I don't hate the deal. The Kings get Patrick Patterson, who's already more productive than Robinson, who the Kings obviously didn't like as the season wore on. Plus they get rid of Garcia and his contract, as well as picking up 1 million and Toney Douglas, who is a decent guard.

Trade Deadline day has arrived, a day Twitter was invented for!

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
    Orlando has secured offers of first-round picks for J.J. Redick, sources tell Y! Sports. So far, those belong to teams drafting in the 20's.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
    Lakers offering Steve Blake, Chris Duhon, Devin Ebanks, Darius Morris for 2nd-rounders, sources say. Looking to unload, free roster spots.