Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

This Week in the ACC - 2/11-2/17

Last week we split the conference in half, between the top 6 teams that will/may make the tournament and the bottom 6 that will not (absent winning the ACCT). The top 6 had a reasonably good week - none of them dropped games to the bottom 6 (although some contests were closer than others), but in the intra-top 6 matchups, the teams on shakier footing, particularly Maryland in losing at home to Virginia, couldn't come up with wins. Once again, only three of this weeks 11 games (Maryland and NC State have a mid-week bye) are battles between teams at the top, and this time Duke is involved in both of them. The Devils will need two big wins to keep within shouting distance of Miami (and to keep the Cavaliers off their heels).

Monday is dark

Tuesday
    starts Rivalry Week with the Hokies traveling to Charlottesville. The first matchup between the two Virginia schools was a 16-point Cavalier win in Blacksburg - the Hokies have a much tougher task at UVA, where the Cavs have won by an average of 16.5 per conference game (and that's against teams better than Virginia Tech). At this point in the season, I feel bad for Erick Green, a phenomenal basketball player stranded with absolutely no help whatsoever.

[19]Virginia hosts [159]Virginia Tech

Wednesday has actual basketball this week, rather than 17-and-18-year-old kids putting on hats. The marquee, of course, is Duke-UNC round 1, in Cameron. The road team won both games in last year's series, but this year's Tar Heel team has, to put it politely, struggled away from home. Undercard games include Miami traveling to Florida State and Wake traveling to BC. D
    on't be fooled by FSU's 5-5 record into thinking that this could be a tough game for Miami - the five wins have come by a combined 15 points, the five losses by a combined 93. The Noles are 11th in the conference on offense and 10th on defense and may give Virginia Tech a run for worst team when it's all said and done.

[115]Florida State hosts [8]Miami
    [120]Boston College hosts [134]Wake Forest
    [6]Duke hosts [46]North Carolina

Thursday Clemson visits Georgia Tech - Brad Brownell is 4-17 overall on the road in the ACC as Clemson's head coach, but a perfect 2-0 at Georgia Tech.

[71]Georgia Tech hosts [97]Clemson

Friday is dark.

Saturday has a full slate of action. The two biggest games are Virginia and UNC and Duke at Maryland. Both are return trips where the road team was a comfortable victor at home (Virginia by 9, Duke by 20). Both home teams could use a statement win on their tournament resumes (although UNC will still have home dates with NCSU and Duke). Virginia and Duke have both struggled (relatively) on the road - the Cavs are 2-3 but those 3 losses are to Wake, Clemson, and Georgia Tech; Duke is now 3-2 but has only really looked good on the road against Florida State. Maryland has essentially a full week to get up for this one - it's a dangerous game for Duke, which will be coming off of an emotional rivalry game, regardless of how it turns out (although, Duke has won all but 1 of its post-UNC games over the last 5 years). The rest of the Saturday slate is pretty unappetizing - Florida State hosts Boston College; Wake hosts Georgia Tech; and the Wolfpack hosts Virginia Tech (tough week for the Hokies, on the road in Charlottesville and Raleigh).

[115]Florida State hosts [120]Boston College
    [46]North Carolina hosts [19]Virginia
    [29]NC State hosts [159]Virginia Tech
    [134]Wake Forest hosts [71]Georgia Tech
    [59]Maryland hosts [6]Duke

Sunday features Miami on the road again, likely looking for road win #7 with a trip to Clemson.

[97]Clemson hosts [8]Miami

ACC Non-Conference Record: 115-37
    ACC vs. BCS Opponents: 19-18
    (note - now that non-conference play is done the detailed record by conference won't be re-posted until we hit tournament play).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

No surprise that UVa wins easily against VT, though I didn't expect Green to struggle quite that much. Another excellent line from Joe Harris:

7-12 (5-7 3 pointers), 7-7 FTs for 26 points, along with 4 boards and 1 assist with only one turnover.

He is absolutely playing at a first-team ACC level, though I suspect voters will be overly swayed by counting stats and thus not give him the credit he deserves because Virginia plays a slow pace.

this week

Duke is basically Maryland's last chance to get a resume win.

They don't play Miami or NC State (a top 20 RPI team) the rest of the way. It's the perfect scenario if they are going to do it -- they got Duke coming off the UNC game with less than 72 hours to prepare while they and they've got all week to get ready.

It's pretty much their last gasp to be an NCAA team.

I also think Wednesday's Wake at BC game is interesting. Not only is it a battle to avoid last place, but Wake coach Jeff Bzdelik is 1-21 on the road in the ACC ... his one win came last season at BC.

In the other important ACC game tonight ...

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Duke is basically Maryland's last chance to get a resume win.

They don't play Miami or NC State (a top 20 RPI team) the rest of the way. It's the perfect scenario if they are going to do it -- they got Duke coming off the UNC game with less than 72 hours to prepare while they and they've got all week to get ready.

It's pretty much their last gasp to be an NCAA team.

I also think Wednesday's Wake at BC game is interesting. Not only is it a battle to avoid last place, but Wake coach Jeff Bzdelik is 1-21 on the road in the ACC ... his one win came last season at BC.
    FSU is off to a pretty great start against Miami. Up 11-2 at the first TV timeout.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    FSU is off to a pretty great start against Miami. Up 11-2 at the first TV timeout.
    Florida State used so much energy punching Miami in the mouth to start the game that their adrenaline buzz wore off. Hamilton should have used a timeout just for for his guys to catch their breath.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Well that at least explains something. ESPN tells me FSU is giving all Miami can handle. Turn it on and its 27-18.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    Florida State used so much energy punching Miami in the mouth to start the game that their adrenaline buzz wore off. Hamilton should have used a timeout just for for his guys to catch their breath.
    Yeah - very careless with the ball and making poor decisions. Also, Miami finally woke up on offense. However, I do see Miami's defense exposed a bit. You can break them down and get into the lane - but it's a matter of taking it to them aggressively - be willing to get your shot blocked but draw fouls.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Not Suitable for Young Eyes?

Clemson leads Georgia Tech 20-15 AT THE HALF. Yowza!! 29 percent shooting trumps 17 percent every time. On ESPN Full Court.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Clemson leads Georgia Tech 20-15 AT THE HALF. Yowza!! 29 percent shooting trumps 17 percent every time. On ESPN Full Court.

sagegrouse
    Clemson prevailed over GT, 56-53. Each team scored more points in the second half (36, 38) than both teams combined scored in the first half (35). I can't figure whether the illegal drugs kicked in after intermission or the illegal drups wore off by halftime. Whatever. Good win for Clemson -- first conference win on the road.

sagegrouse

Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Clemson prevailed over GT, 56-53. Each team scored more points in the second half (36, 38) than both teams combined scored in the first half (35). I can't figure whether the illegal drugs kicked in after intermission or the illegal drups wore off by halftime. Whatever. Good win for Clemson -- first conference win on the road.

sagegrouse
    They showed a lot of grit. After leading the entire first half, they let Georgia Tech catch up midway through the second half. With McCandlish rocking, they go on a run to open up a 10-point lead. Tech fights back and gets within a possession -- thanks to some poor FT shooting in the clutch. Amazing defensive play by Milt Jennings at the end, blocking a potential game-tying 3 ... not just blocking it, but essentially taking it out of the shooter's hands and going the other way to run off the final seconds.

I wonder if the momentum of this game will carry over into Sunday's game with Miami. Littlejohn has been a tough place to play (Brad Brownell is 18-5 there against ACC foes) and Miami has been less than awe-onspiring on the road in the ACC (one-point wins at BC and NC State -- which was without Brown -- and a tough win at a struggling FSU this week).

If Clemson wasn't so inept from the foul line in the clutch (it cost them the State game), I'd almost pick the upset.

In keeping with home team dominance, which has been prevelent throughout this season, Duke is the only road team favored today. In other games:

Florida State is favored by 5.5 points over Boston College.
    Carolina is favored by 4.5 points over Virginia.
    State is favored by 15 points over Virginia Tech.
    Wake Forest is favored by 3 points over Georgia Tech.
    Bob Green

Huge game for UNC and UVA today. UNC is doing a balancing act between the NCAA Tourney and the NIT Tourney. A loss for UNC today would put them at 6-6 in the ACC, and could push them more toward their 2nd NIT adventure in the last 4 years.

I will be pulling for UVA in this one, as I usually pull for the school with the higher academic standards. (That, and I never pull for UNC in anything, against anybody.)

Besides, getting a big name school like UNC (again!) would help the NIT viewership with the Walmart crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post

Besides, getting a big name school like UNC (again!) would help the NIT viewership with the Walmart crowd.
    I have been wondering about this. Back in the day, the NcAA would want the biggest names for tv and revenue purposes. Now that the NcAA owns both, you wonder if the thought of big names in the NIT (with home game tickets on top) is the bigger money play.

Not that money has anything to do with it, of course.

Go CavHoos!

UVA is 8-3 in ACC play, but sitting squarely on the bubble. (Lunardi lists they as last four in)

Kenpom predicts UVa over Unc, 64-63. I hope he's right.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy c View Post
    UVA is 8-3 in ACC play, but sitting squarely on the bubble. (Lunardi lists they as last four in)

Kenpom predicts UVa over Unc, 64-63. I hope he's right.
    Actually, he's got 64-63 in UNC's favor. But either way, tight game.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Coin toss. UVa is the better team, but UNC is at home. Let's hope Harris has a good game and the Cavaliers can pull it out. Roy starting Hairston again. No surprise there.

Quote Originally Posted by cptnflash View Post
    Coin toss. UVa is the better team, but UNC is at home. Let's hope Harris has a good game and the Cavaliers can pull it out. Roy starting Hairston again. No surprise there.
    UVa starting well, keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    UVa starting well, keep it up!
    Amen. Keep it going, Wahoos!

8 Fouls on UVa to 3 on the Heels. Can't see the game right now, just checking the box score. Is it being called badly, or is UVa really hacking a lot more than Carolina?

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Amen. Keep it going, Wahoos!

8 Fouls on UVa to 3 on the Heels. Can't see the game right now, just checking the box score. Is it being called badly, or is UVa really hacking a lot more than Carolina?
    UNC really doesn't foul much (mainly because they don't play physical defense and don't challenge many shots). Also, UVa doesn't really attack the basket (which is the way to draw fouls). So I don't think it's that surprising that the Heels have fewer fouls.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    You're right. Thanks for the correction.

Come on Hooooos!