Thread: AmEx Rocks!

AmEx Rocks!

Oh woe is me. I dropped my new laptop while on vacation two weeks ago (it was in my laptop case which I was carrying over my shoulder via the strap. The strap broke and the case dropped about 2 feet to the ground. I didn't expect any damage, but the battery broke away from the case and apparently the case is broken too.) Anyway, as it was a drop, Gateway said it was not a warranty repair and would cost at least $244 to repair it. So I gave them a credit card number and they sent me a box and I sent them the computer. They had to order parts and I'm waiting...

That's the back story. Now the reason for the post!

I saw a TV commercial for American Express the other night, and the model's laptop fell off her car's top and smashed. She said, no worry, I bought it with the Card so it's covered. Hmmmm, I bought mine with an Amex too! So today I called cardmember services, and since it was within the 90 Buyer's Protection Coverage that is included, Amex will cover my repair costs or credit the purchase cost plus tax and evaluation fee if it is not repairable!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am one very happy camper, to say the least!

I know most "premium" cards (gold, platinum, etc.) from Visa and Mastercard offer/include similar warranty extension (typically double the standard, up to one year)/loss features, but I've never had to use it before. With Amex, it took about 5 minutes on the phone and they are emailing me the forms to fill out and other instructions to file the claim. Very simple and efficient. So I guess I just wanted to give kudos to Amex and to remind y'all that you may have similar coverage if you break something.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I concur

I've had the same experience with the AMEX warranty extension program where they will double, up to a year, any warranty on an item purchased with the card. I have used this twice with ipods that conveniently died within 2 months of the expiration of the 1 year warranty (coincidence?). I filled out some forms, faxed them along with a receipt and Amex reimbursed me for the full cost of the ipod - twice. And dealing with them on the phone was actually a pleasure.

AmEx has tremendous customer service. I lost my AmEx card one time. I called them right away. They could tell there had been no activity on my card, and canceled it. I asked how long it would be before my new card arrived - they said, "If you can tell us if you will be at home or at your office between 8 and noon tomorrow we'll have it delivered to you then." They then told me they could direct me to an AmEx office if I needed emergency cash (I didn't as I was in town when I lost it).

I will usually patronize a store or company that has good customer service even if they are more expensive. I will not shop for groceries anywhere other than Harris-Teeter because of this. I complimented the manager of the store where I usually shop one time on his staff - his response was to say, "We all same the same food - we figure the best way to keep customers is to treat them better than anyone else."

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I've had the same experience with the AMEX warranty extension program where they will double, up to a year, any warranty on an item purchased with the card. I have used this twice with ipods that conveniently died within 2 months of the expiration of the 1 year warranty (coincidence?). I filled out some forms, faxed them along with a receipt and Amex reimbursed me for the full cost of the ipod - twice. And dealing with them on the phone was actually a pleasure.
    my iod died a month after the warranty ended (broke the hard drive so im switching to the nano with flash if I ever get another. But yeah... I didnt hhave amex to cover it so ive been ipodless for over a year now. Good thing my car plays mp3 CDs.

As a former employee and still a shareholder

of American Express, it warms my heart that others have been able to identify what makes the American Express brand so great. The stories I could tell about what happened during the tsunami in December 2004.