Jim Corrigan - interim ODU coach

Last edited by -jk; 02-06-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: context

Any relation to Gene Corrigan?
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Any relation to Gene Corrigan?
    Yes.

I'm pretty sure he is also the only Duke player to ever shoot 100% from the field and the free throw line for his career.

Jim began his coaching career at Northern High School in Durham, N.C., where he served as an assistant for two years under head coach Kevin
    Billerman. From there he moved to his alma mater, Bishop McGuinness High School in Winston-Salem, N.C. After one season as the junior varsity
    and varsity assistant, Jim was elevated to head coach.
    During his four years as head coach at McGuinness, he achieved several milestones. His teams compiled a record of 90-42, and reached the
    North Carolina State Finals each of the last three years he was the head coach, culminating in the 1987 state championship. During that run,
    McGuinness twice set school records for wins in a season with 26 in 1984-85, and 27 in 1985-86. Twice his teams were invited to the prestigious
    Alhambra Invitational Tournament, and finished with a 77-25 record those last three seasons.
    Corrigan was named Coach of the Year in the conference and on the state level in North Carolina three times. From there, Jim moved to William
    and Mary where he was an assistant coach from 1987-94.
    In high school, Jim was named All-City and All-County as a senior at McGuinness and led the city in scoring at 26 points per game. He turned
    down numerous scholarships to attend Duke University where he walked on to the team and earned a scholarship under head coach Bill Foster.
    While at Duke, the Blue Devils won two Atlantic Coast Tournament championships and played in three NCAA tournaments, including the 1978 Final
    Four.
    As a senior at Duke, the Blue Devils were ranked number one in the country as well as the number one amateur team in the world. That year,
    Corrigan received the Ted Mann award as the non-starter who contributed the most to team morale. Duke reached the NCAA quarterfinals.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...askbl-supp.pdf

So, coached with Kevin Billerman ... and was an assistant to Chuck Swenson at W&M ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Yes.

I'm pretty sure he is also the only Duke player to ever shoot 100% from the field and the free throw line for his career.
    There are others. Elliott McBride was 2-2 from the field and 3-3 from the line for the 1965 Devils. I see him at home games. He lives in Raleigh and his family have been season ticket holders forever.

Is he one of Gene Corrigan's sons?

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Is he one of Gene Corrigan's sons?
    I am not 100% positive, but I think Gene is his uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    I am not 100% positive, but I think Gene is his uncle.
    Yes, per this Daily Press article:

http://articles.dailypress.com/2009-...u-odu-monarchs

JV Star

If I recall correctly (which is highly questionable), prior to being "promoted" to the varsity team, Jim was a fantastic player on the Junior Varsity team that often played other JV teams prior to home games. Since the student section was typically packed for these JV games, it was a great environment and he was a lot of fun to watch. Kedsy, BD, please confirm.