Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help with Duke-UNC Trivia

OK guys, the success of The Emily Krzyzewski Duke-UNC Gameday Barbecue is in your hands.

We're putting together a trivia contest and as a lifelong lurker here I know that nobody knows Duke UNC trivia better than DBRers, so help us come up with some great questions (with answers).

For example,
    How many seconds were on the clock when Austin Rivers humiliated 7ft Tyler Zeller during last year's game at UNC?
    1.2 seconds with ball going through at the buzzer!

You will receive our deep gratitude for your devotion and aging memories and we will award the best suggestion with our newly-minted GTHCGTC plaque and bragging rights.
    Thanks -The Emily Krzyzewski Staff

Oh and come to the barbecue lunch if you are in town for the game -it's free-we'd love to have you, just register ekcbbqlunch.eventbrite.com

Trivia

Q: What year did Jeff Capel hit a half-court buzzer beater to send Duke/UNC to double overtime before eventually triumphing over their rivals at home?

A: Trick question - Duke lost this game, but all anyone remembers is that shot.

(1995 is the year, Zwikker missed the free throw and I believe Cherokee Parks rebounded... and I love that all anyone remembers is that shot.)

Q: How many Tar Heels does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: 21,000. One to put in the bulb, the rest to bemoan the fact that bulbs were better when Dean was still coaching.

Question: What was the halftime score of the Duke -- UNC game in Cameron in February 1979? Answer: 7-0 good guys

Extra credit: What chant regarding Tar Heel Chickie Yonakor came about during that game? Answer: AIR-BALL

Which Duke-Carolina game was the most watched men's college basketball game ever on ESPN?

Who scored 28 points in the first game ever played in the Dean Smith Center?

On Jan. 19, 1974, #3 N. Carolina was playing in Cameron. With 4 seconds left and the game tied 71-71, Duke called timeout. Which Duke player threw the ensuing inbounds pass and which Carolina player picked it off and scored at the buzzer?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Q: How many Tar Heels does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

A: 21,000. One to put in the bulb, the rest to bemoan the fact that bulbs were better when Dean was still coaching.
    I thought it was "0. No one was in the classroom to notice the bulb was out."

Nicely done fans! Keep 'em comin!

Q: Who scored the first points in Dean Dome history?
    A: Mark Alarie

Q: Have Duke and UNC ever met in the post-season?
    A: Yes, in the 1971 NIT tournament, UNC won

Q: Have Duke and UNC ever played 4 times in a season?
    A: Yes, in both 1978-79 and 1979-80 they met in the Big Four, twice in the regular season, and in the ACC Tourney.

-Jason "more to come..." Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    I thought it was "0. No one was in the classroom to notice the bulb was out."
    To be fair, Light Bulb Changing is a senior level independent study course at UNC, so you wouldn't expect anyone to be in the classroom. It's recently come under scrutiny from the Raleigh News and Observer, however, since a UNC football player recently was found to have plagiarized an 11 year old's essay on light bulb changing for his final course project, for which he received a B+. The NCAA feels it's not an athletics related issue and sees no reason to investigate. Jim Martin thoroughly evaluated the course and the paper and says it wasn't actually plagiarism since the papers were not actually word-for-word identical: the first and last names at the tops of the two papers were completely different.

Here's a question, though you'll get two different answers depending on whether UNC or Duke fans are answering:

How many National Championships has each school won?

UNC fans: UNC has 6 (a Helms award is the same as a Natty, right?); Duke has 3 (since 2010 was given to them by the NCAA giving them an easy bracket)
    Duke fans: Duke has 4; UNC has 3 legit and 2 with big huge question marks (throwing out the Helms award and adding a fat * to 2005 and 2009 until UNC and the NCAA honestly take a look at the academic fraud used to keep athletes eligible during that era...and the heavy involvement in mens basketball players from the 2005 and 2009 team in the suspect department's courses)

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Q. Who scored the final men's points in Carmichael?
    A. Jim Valvano http://runningtarheelfan.blogspot.co...el-on-way.html

Quote Originally Posted by House G View Post
    Which Duke-Carolina game was the most watched men's college basketball game ever on ESPN?
    When I saw this, I thought 2006 at Cameron (JJ and Shelden's senior night) because I remember that being the most watched college bball game on ESPN at the time. But apparently it's been overtaken by two games, with the top honors being the 2008 Duke-UNC game at Cameron.

ESPN most watched college b-ball games:
    1. North Carolina/Duke in March 2008 (5.612M).
    2. Tennessee/Memphis in February 2008 (5.281M)
    3. Duke/North Carolina in March 2006 (4.702M)
    4. Duke/North Carolina in March 2012 (4.247M)
    http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012...oops-audience/

Unfortunately, all three of the above games have been losses for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Question: What was the halftime score of the Duke -- UNC game in Cameron in February 1979? Answer: 7-0 good guys

Extra credit: What chant regarding Tar Heel Chickie Yonakor came about during that game? Answer: AIR-BALL
    What was the final score of the game? Answer: 47-40 - Dean Smith changed his game plan at the half and quit holding the ball. Of course, I was tired and still mad at the football score at the half - my memory could be wrong.

Also note that Dean caused his team to set a record that will never be broken, that of fewest points in a half.

Remember the 1998 game in Cameron, when we won after trailing by 17 and Wojo hugged K at the end of the game? That was the 200th game of the series. It was K's 500th win overall (including Army). Win #600 also came against unc; it was the blowout victory in the 2001 ACC Tournament championship game.

The 2013 game in Cameron will be the first time K plays unc on his birthday.
    Last edited by hurleyfor3; 02-06-2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: edited stat about K playing unc on his bday

Name the top 3 career scorers from Duke and UNC -

1. Tyler Hansborough
    2. JJ Redick
    3. Johnny Dawkins

Scroll through the ACC media guide for this season - tons of ideas in here:
    http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...ccmbbguide.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Q: Have Duke and UNC ever met in the post-season?
    A: Yes, in the 1971 NIT tournament, UNC won

Q: Have Duke and UNC ever played 4 times in a season?
    A: Yes, in both 1978-79 and 1979-80 they met in the Big Four, twice in the regular season, and in the ACC Tourney.

-Jason "more to come..." Evans
    Of course you are right, Jason, about the first bucket at the Dean Dome. But here is the blurb at goheels.com:

"Dedicated in September 1986 as the Dean Edwards Smith Center, the 300,000-square-foot structure stands on seven and one-half acres on the University's south campus. Over 20,000 cubic yards of rock were removed to make room for the 340-foot-wide, 380-foot-long and 140-foot-high building. The first game featured No. 1 Carolina beating No. 3 Duke, 95-92, in a battle of unbeatens on Jan. 18, 1986. The first basket was scored by Carolina center Warren Martin off a pass from Kenny Smith. Since that first game, the Smith Center has been the site of many memorable moments in Tar Heel history." Make that Tar Heel Revisionist History!!

http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=205720085
    look under the heading "facilities", then DES Center.

Whattaya expect, they lie like it's the truth over there in Chapel Hill.

My trivia questions:

(Q)What Duke player will always be associated with roses?
    (A)Gene Banks, who gave them out to some of the crowd in 1981, before his last regular season home game against UNC.

(Q)Who hit the basket in 1981 that sent the UNC game to overtime, and who inbounded the ball to him?
    (A)Gene Banks made the buzzer-beating shot, which was inbounded to him by Kenny Dennard when there was only one second remaining in regulation. Duke won in overtime.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I just googled a useful article -- "Oh so many Duke-UNC classics" by a guy named Tom Suiter on WRAL in 2009. Some good ideas there.

What was the final score of the Duke -- UNC game in the ACC Tournament in 1966? Answer: 21-20 good guys (halftime score of 7-5)

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by 78Devil View Post
    I just googled a useful article -- "Oh so many Duke-UNC classics" by a guy named Tom Suiter on WRAL in 2009. Some good ideas there.
    Thanks! We'll be sure to check it out.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    A personal favorite of mine(not particularly Duke-UNC, just Duke)
    Q: Who is the first player ever to play in 4 Final Fours?
    A: Laettner and Davis were the 2nd and 3rd players to do it... but Greg Koubek did it first.

Final Score

I was at that game, and what I loved was the final score was 47 -40. Dean let go of the choke chain and the teams played the second half to a 40 - 40 tie