Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Plz Save My Marriage! Need Some Help re: Superglue Removal!!

OK I'm in potentially hot water with the wife. She was out of town this weekend and I decided it'd be a good time to do a bunch of supergluing projects that I'd been avoiding. I foolishly did it on the quite expensive white laminate big round kitchen table that's only a year old, instead of doing it outside or somewhere. I put down several layers of paper towel, instead of using tin foil as a barrier. Stupid again.

So some soaked through the paper towel and onto the surface of the table and before I could do much about it, there it was. I scrubbed and scrubbed, with not a lot of success. What I'm left with are some pretty small raised bumps of superglue, which it's inevitable she'll discover when she gives the table a wipe down with a sponge and feels the lack of smoothness, then a little more that isn't raised bumps but you can see it when the light hits the table a certain way. Not good.

I've heard just try to scrape with a razor blade, but I'm afraid I'll scratch the table, and that would only address the bumps anyway, not the other, un-raised part. I've heard acetone, but wouldn't that destroy and discolor the finish?

Help!

I have no personal experience with this but:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5125341AA3U9IF

Not sure how much you can trust the answer - but you might try a little nail polish remover. Find the least noticable spot to try it on first.

Not all nail polish removers contain acetone, which is really the only solvent for superglue. Be sure you get the acetone nail polish remover (or get acetone from the hardware store). And acetone WILL damage the surface. Hint: pour a little acetone into a decent size and very stable bowl that will NOT tip over on the surface you're trying to fix. Trust me on that one.

If I were faced with this situation, I'd try to mask off as much of the table surface surrounding the tiny bumps as possible, leaving the bumps exposed. This will keep the minor damage to the surrounding finish to a minimum. Then take a cotton swab and moisten it with acetone. I said "moisten" not "drench." Barely moist. Working very slowly and carefully, try to gently melt the bump down by gently brushing/rubbing it with the swab, similar to gently sanding it. Resist the urge to hurry things along with more acetone, as that will undoubtedly be when a bit of the acetone will slip underneath or slosh across the masked area, further damaging the surface. Start with the smallest/least noticeable and work up from there. The best you can hope for is to make the surface level again, but there will probably a difference in the sheen.

I also like the idea of trying a blunt, burr-free putty knife to try to knock them off, in the article DukieInKansas linked. As long as the surface is like a laminate counter top and the bumps are small and raised, it's worth a try. I don't hold out much hope, but it's worth a try. No, "carefully sawing" them off with a razor blade will damage the laminate, (speaking from some experience *sigh*), and scraping them off with a sharp razor blade will likely damage it, too.

Flowers over the damaged surface may ameliorate some of the emotion you will face, as well as maybe a gift certificate for a dinner or three at a nice restaurant. Whatever you do, do not offer up the "but it gives it character" or "it had to get a blemish sooner or later." Trust me on that one, too.

GOOD LUCK!

If it was me, I would mask around the bumps then sand them down (yes, with fine sandpaper).

I suspect the acetone method would work, but it will take forever. I've never gotten superglue on a table, but I have gotten it on my fingers, and acetone was minimally effective (worked, but again, took forever). There's also the risk the acetone simply soaks under the masking tape (and it would certainly eat the glue).

Fine sandpaper won't sand through the tape, but will bring down the bumps (well, until they're level with the masking tape).

I also think a sharp razorblade could work, as long as you get it at the right angle. You wouldn't want to saw, but would want to push it into the bump repeatedly. Do it right, and I don't think you'd catch/dig in / scratch the laminate.

One last suggestion that I can virtually promise won't damage the laminate (but I don't know would be effective in removing the superglue), would be a clay bar. Make a solution with water and a little bit of dishwashing detergent, then get a clay bar from an automotive shop (autozone, pep boys, etc.) and repeatedly rub it across the bumps. This is what we use to get stuff off automotive finishes, and it's removed everything I've tried.

Then again, I've never gotten superglue on my car...

I suggest you buy a new table before your wife gets home!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

From experience, acetone (and paint thinner) will remove superglue. There is a good chance it will damage the finish depending on the material especially real wood. Test somewhere before use (like under the table if it's the same finish.) You can try to apply it with a q-tip. I've also use Goof Off in the past with success. I would try a blunt putty knife or the back of a butter knife for the bumps. Lightly sanding the area will probably be your best option.

I hope you are still alive tommy. In any case, throw yourself at your wife's feet and promise to do the dishes and empty the dishwasher for the next six months.

Did he 'fess up?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I hope you are still alive tommy. In any case, throw yourself at your wife's feet and promise to do the dishes and empty the dishwasher for the next six months.
    Man, I hope I don't do anything like tommy did. I already do the dishes and empty the dishwasher!

Let me also chime in for nail polish remover (acetone) applied with a Q-tip. Sparingly at first. Be super careful about only applying it to the needed area (ie super glue blob, and not table top). I'd also have a wet paper towel and a dry paper towel near by in case of... emergency.

As for the Q-tip, dip it in the nail polish remover bottle. No pouring, especially anywhere near the table.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Man, I hope I don't do anything like tommy did. I already do the dishes and empty the dishwasher!
    You're a keeper! My husband, a pretty well-educated Duke man, simply can't do it. He's not faking me out either. Can take down a tractor engine, do plumbing and electrical but the dishwasher simply mystifies him. Then again, I can't figure out how to run the lawnmower, hhhmmm.

So what happened? Did you get the superglue off? Are you still married? Is the table in tact?

Yeah, why no update?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Yeah, why no update?
    Silence is not good news.

Tommy, we all loved you and miss your posts. Rest in peace.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaah! You guys (and gals) are too funny. I know, I should've posted an "update."

The update is: there is no update. Thus far I have chosen to hide, and to pray. I have not mentioned the "situation" and thus far my wife has not noticed it. My dad is visiting beginning later this week, and he is aware of the "situation," and we will address it together when the wife is out of the house and we can examine the table and speak freely about our remedial options. As I am typing this, domestic tranquility remains.

I will keep you all informed as events warrant.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaah! You guys (and gals) are too funny. I know, I should've posted an "update."

The update is: there is no update. Thus far I have chosen to hide, and to pray. I have not mentioned the "situation" and thus far my wife has not noticed it. My dad is visiting beginning later this week, and he is aware of the "situation," and we will address it together when the wife is out of the house and we can examine the table and speak freely about our remedial options. As I am typing this, domestic tranquility remains.

Good luck !! I think that I would try to to use one of those scrapers that holds a straight razor blade that you can buy at a hardware store to scape paint off off of windows after the sashes have been painted. I would put a brand new razor in the scraper and then very gently try to scrape the droppings of super glue off of the table top (without scratching the surface of the table - obviously). I think as long as you are steady and gentle and hold the razor blade almost parallel to the table top, you should not scratch the top. Of course, practicing on some other smooth surface might be a wise move.

I have found that Rain-X is good at getting sticky, gooey stuff off of other stuff. I use it all the time on the pine sap that accumulates on my truck. It works good on duct tape residue, teak stain hardened to fiberglass, and superglue on a laminate countertop. I dunno what's in it exactly but my guess is it contains something similar to acetone or denatured alcohol. Still, it seems to work a bit better. Just do the spot test!

That's perfect! If all else fails, when your father leaves you can plead ignorance and blame the whole thing on him. "What do I know what he was doing with super glue?" you could say, incredulosly.

That's what parents are for!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I have not mentioned the "situation" and thus far my wife has not noticed it.
    With all due respect, you've lost your mind.

If you think she hasn't noticed, you're crazy. She's just saving it to use at an appropriate time in the future.

I may be late

My friend,

Acetone is not sold anymore was used big time in medical places.
    It will remove anything.
    FINGERNAIL polish remover has acetone in it!

Hope not too late

Jimmy