NC concealed carry

With the ongoing left vs right debate on gun control, I do not want to make this a political thread by any means...

With that said I would like some input on a question for my gun totin' Devils.

I turned 21 in September, so im now "legal" to own and carry a handgun in NC. I will be certified to own and conceal in a few weeks and would like some recommendations on quality concealed carry guns. Something not too large to conceal, but something that packs a nice punch. I did a little research and discovered that Chapel Hell had the strictest gun laws in the state...ha.
    Last edited by -jk; 02-04-2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: PPB material removed

Depends on how you want to conceal. Keep in mind the concealed carry permit isn't just for stashing a gun in your ankle, it's necessary really if you want to take your gun out of your house to avoid getting tripped up by something like having your gun in the glove compartment, etc.

If you're in the Charlotte area and looking for good advice and good selection, the Hyatt gun shop has some really knowledgeable salespeople, concealed carry classes, and a great selection. Their website also has a huge, though unwieldy, gun selection.

For reliability and impact, take a look at the Smith and Wesson 340 .357/.38. It's a very reliable snub nose.

FWIW, I don't take my guns out of the house except for training, but even with that, it's good to have the concealed carry permit.
    Last edited by davekay1971; 01-30-2013 at 09:17 PM.

I can't help with anything local, being a PA resident. But you may want to look around your area for a commercial range that rents guns for use on their range, or find some friends to take you to the range and let you try theirs. That way you can actually try out a few different models/calibers to see what is comfortable to you.

First up is revolver vs semi. Both S&W and Ruger make a some fine wheel guns and you couldn't really go wrong with either (despite what the followers of one brand say about the other). The S&W 340 previously mentioned is nice. If you're looking strictly for a carry revolver that you don't plan on shooting for much (for fun) the S&W Bodyguard 38 or the Ruger LCR will save a bit of size and weight.

On the semi side of things, figure out what size you want. Something really small and pocketable (ie. S&W Bodyguard 380, Ruger LCP,LC380, Keltec P3AT), a sub-compact, compact or full-size. Note that the pocket guns are not fun to shoot at all. The most popular are the Glock, S&W M&P or the Springfield XD in the sub-comapct and compact areas. They are all polymer framed guns and they each have a different "feel".

There are other fine choices that are a bit outside of the usual polymer choice listed above. Kahr and Sig Sauer make some nice carry guns, but are a bit pricer. Keltec makes makes some very affordable carry guns. Some of the smaller 1911's are nice for carry, but I wouldn't recommend one as a first carry gun (just a personal opinion). My personal preference is for the all-metal CZ's, but they are bigger/heavier.

I love my S&W M&P Shield. It's a great semi-auto carry piece. Best I've seen or used. Can be .40 or 9mm.

My dad really likes the Kimbers with the rounded heels.

He also has a hammerless S&W snub nose .357 revolver he likes. The Shield is more accurate though, I've found.

The Shield IS actually fun to shoot.

Let's not take this into policy.

thanks,

-jk

I believe that the concealed carry for NC will also act a semi-permanent registration to purchase additional guns should you choose to do so.

I have a sig 229 .40 which I LOVE. Its a great gun.

I have always been somewhat concerned about the concealed carry issue.
    Suppose I find myself in an unfortunate shoot-em up situation and have my weapon.. to presumably end said situation. What if I miss or somehow manage to do more harm than good despite my best intentions. What if I get the "collaborator" or enemy combatant" label attached to my name for even a minute. I have that hesitation.

Be careful

Just curious, but for a carry permit in NC, is a training course required?

In the state of Georgia, it is not required. This gives me great concern that some people may be carrying without knowing proper gun safety or operation.

I strongly urge everyone, even if you only have access to a gun, to take a course even if it is not required.

I have personally seen an accidental shooting death, and it was in the military with a well trained individual. The shooter accidentally shot his best friend while exchanging the weapon during a changing of the guard. He ended up with 5 years hard labor, and a dead best friend.

Disclaimer: This is not intended as a political discussion about the pros and cons of gun ownership. Merely a word of caution to please be careful!

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Just curious, but for a carry permit in NC, is a training course required?

In the state of Georgia, it is not required. This gives me great concern that some people may be carrying without knowing proper gun safety or operation.

I strongly urge everyone, even if you only have access to a gun, to take a course even if it is not required.

I have personally seen an accidental shooting death, and it was in the military with a well trained individual. The shooter accidentally shot his best friend while exchanging the weapon during a changing of the guard. He ended up with 5 years hard labor, and a dead best friend.

Disclaimer: This is not intended as a political discussion about the pros and cons of gun ownership. Merely a word of caution to please be careful!
    You are required to take a class in NC to obtain a permit for concealed carry. I am a permit holder myself and in my opinion it isn't adequate enough. As a responsible gun owner I would like to see the class be more in depth and have more range time/hands on gun safety being taught. I guess it's better than nothing though!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    You are required to take a class in NC to obtain a permit for concealed carry. I am a permit holder myself and in my opinion it isn't adequate enough. As a responsible gun owner I would like to see the class be more in depth and have more range time/hands on gun safety being taught. I guess it's better than nothing though!
    I know Virginia, Florida, and Utah all require courses. If you have a Virginia CCW and a Utah non-resident permit, you can carry in every state that allows carry except one. I think it's Kansas, or maybe Nebraska. If you add a Florida non-resident permit, you get that one too.

Courses

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I know Virginia, Florida, and Utah all require courses. If you have a Virginia CCW and a Utah non-resident permit, you can carry in every state that allows carry except one. I think it's Kansas, or maybe Nebraska. If you add a Florida non-resident permit, you get that one too.
    It should be fairly easy to take the course. My neighbor's church is offering them as one of the "Life Group" options.

guns

My friends

I have 2 thoughts regarding this. I am a fan of the right to bear arms. And to be able to protect my family.
    Since I retired, have seen weapons, that civilians should not be using.
    You are a young man. There is so much argument regarding the 9MM and 40 cal, having no punch. Over the past 15 years it has been known by police departments, that the 9MM is not doing it, nor is the 40 cal.You probably have found this out. NJ was the first state to do this, California swat still use the 9 MM.
    Actually Kimber makes their weapons.

Which brings up the 45ACP. I used this as my primary gun in the service. I also have used the M 16 and many others.
    It will kill, and it is hard to shoot, because of its kick.The 45 ACP has a punch!
    There are 3 that the military like. Para Ordanace, Sig Sauer, and my favorite is Kimber "Crimson." All 45 ACP.
    I recommend shooting all of them, and find just one gun for your protection. And practice with that one gun.
    I like the Kimber Crimson, because it has a nite lite, red. That is why the Crimson. That is a deterrent in itself. That alone is why I bought this.The scope light alone will scare people off.They can run from 700-1500 amoung all the 3 I recommend.
    I am confused why the need to carry, concealed. So be it. If their is a need, go for it.
    What I have at home, is my Remington 850 12 gauge, pump, shotgun. With 18 inch barrel. It holds 7 shells. And can extend.
    In your research, you will hear from police/military, what is the best, home defense weapon!

Good Luck
    Wish you well

Nice day
    Jimmy

I'm not as big a fan of the .45 for concealed carry. With a light gun and short barrel, recoil is huge and accuracy suffers. Not to mention, in a small, conceal size piece, you can get almost twice as many rounds in a magazine with 9mm vs. .45. Unlike police officers who carry a full size weapon with a couple spare clips on a belt, your average concealed carry user won't have a spare clip handy. Plus, with the kick of a .45 on a small frame weapon, second and third shots take vastly increased time over a 9mm or even a .40 because of increased time to re-acquire target. I can put 3-4 shots on target, or multiple targets if need be, dead center, in the time it would take me to put one shot on target and a second shot slightly off target with a .45. With today's advanced hollow point rounds, I'd take three shots center mass with a 9mm critical duty round over one to two less accurate shots with a .45. Plus, for a lot of beginners or smaller framed individuals, the .45 is a pretty heavy duty round. I'd start 9mm and work my way up.

All things being equal with a full sized weapon, I agree that the .45 is a better round, but in a concealed carry situation, I personally prefer 9mm. I'm also not a huge fan of .45 in a home defense setting. Far more chance of a missed shot going through a few walls and hitting an innocent bystander. I agree that a shotgun is superior in this case, as at twenty feet, the shot isn't going to go through a wall and kill any bystanders, yet it is extremely effective at the kinds of distances typical of a home defense situation IF you are in a barricaded defensive situation. I have a Mossberg 500 12 gage pump action myself. If you are hunting around the house, I'm not a huge fan of having a barrel that precedes me around corners.

Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by bjornolf; 02-16-2013 at 10:17 PM.

weapon

My friend

As you see the big gunds, pack a pounch.
    The pump action shotgun is recommended, and used by most people in the know.
    Regarding the 9MM and 40 cal, there is a ongoing debate as to it ability to be effective.
    Also, in a home enviroment, not a good choice.
    Until you become expert with the handgun.
    The shotgun is easier to get, than the handgun.And the best for shooting for home defense.
    Good luck

Nice day
    Jimmy

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    With the ongoing left vs right debate on gun control, I do not want to make this a political thread by any means...

With that said I would like some input on a question for my gun totin' Devils.

I turned 21 in September, so im now "legal" to own and carry a handgun in NC. I will be certified to own and conceal in a few weeks and would like some recommendations on quality concealed carry guns. Something not too large to conceal, but something that packs a nice punch. I did a little research and discovered that Chapel Hell had the strictest gun laws in the state...ha.
    Glock 19 GEN4 is a good CC gun. It's the compact version of the Glock 9mm. They also make a subcompact that is even smaller. Glocks are hard to beat for accuracy and reliability. I do agree with others that you should go to the range and try different models to determine what feels best to you. Training (for safety as well as skill level) and practice is very important in my book. The trainer I took the class with is great, comes from a family of law enforcement an participates in shooting competitions on a regular basis to keep his skill level up. I would be happy to put you in contact with him if you are local.

Another great gun at a reasonable price, for CC is the Taurus PT 24/7. A friend of mine just purchased one. Very small, but accurate, and reliable.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Glock 19 GEN4 is a good CC gun. It's the compact version of the Glock 9mm. They also make a subcompact that is even smaller. Glocks are hard to beat for accuracy and reliability. I do agree with others that you should go to the range and try different models to determine what feels best to you. Training (for safety as well as skill level) and practice is very important in my book. The trainer I took the class with is great, comes from a family of law enforcement an participates in shooting competitions on a regular basis to keep his skill level up. I would be happy to put you in contact with him if you are local.

Another great gun at a reasonable price, for CC is the Taurus PT 24/7. A friend of mine just purchased one. Very small, but accurate, and reliable.

Hope this helps!
    One of the most concealable in 9mm is the Kel-Tec PF-9. I weighs 12.7 oz (unloaded) and is very easily concealed. I have several Kel-Tec products and find them very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post

Hope this helps!
    Glocks and Sigs are fine weapons, but I'm afraid they've rested on their laurels a liitle too much. There's a reason S&W M&P has been eating into the LEO market the last couple years.