Decent place to eat near college park??

Hey y'all. I am heading with some family down to college park in a few weeks to see Duke whip Maryland again (hopefully!). Am being treated to great tickets and I wanted to take the group out a nice meal after. I was poking around the web for a good restaurant somewhere within reasonable driving distance of college park and the results I found were pretty laughable. (I know they are mostly savages down there, but some of them must want a nice meal once in a while, no??).

Anyhow, does anyone happen to know the area and have a suggestion for me?

Thanks....!

lives near a number of big white buildings
    It has been about 4 years since I jaunted to College Park from DC but CP used to be a culinary wasteland.

I'd recommend you look at Silver Spring, not far away. Two places to check out are Jackie's and Ray's The Classics. Ray's The Classics (and his other 4 or 5 places in the greater DC area) are extremely well-regarded and, relative to other steakhouse places they compete with, comsidered great values for our area. The decor is usually pretty plain intentionally but is nice.

Jackie's is regarded as somewhat hip. Ray's is known for their good food and value.

Check 'em out online!

I have nothing constructive to add, but I do want to say that, for the record, "decent place" and "College Park" do not belong in the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by duke96 View Post
    Am being treated to great tickets
    It's a trap.

College Park/Hyattsville have had a lot of restaurants come in the last couple years along US-1. However, depending on where you are staying in the area, Silver Spring, Bethesda and Rockville are all places with great restaurants. Even DC if you're staying somewhere downtown.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Just desserts?

Oh, for dessert you might consider the Ice Cream lab at the University of Maryland (assuming they haven't shuttered that tradition to pay for more mansions for the Unversity executives--which they did while scuttling a huge proportion of so-called "minor sports" at U-MD in recent years).

Supposed to be unusual flavors. But that's more commonplace these days than it was when this lab began doing it years ago.

Personally I'd skip it as I have no desire to put one dime into U-MD's coffers. Let all the visiting Big 10 fans do so--you know the hordes from Iowa and Nebraska and Indiana, etc. that will travel to College Park for exciting clashes with the Terps.

Once upon a time (when I was a kid, decades ago), Ledo Pizza was the best pizza in the universe. I heard it's gone downhill, but not by any reliable sources (ie: my own tastebuds).

Anyhow, does anyone happen to know the area and have a suggestion for me?

Thanks....!
    Here's another suggestion...of a different sort. Don't wear any Duke gear to the game!

And beware possible post-game riots.

Terps are running out of opportunities to act out.

I'm sure Maryland alum Steve Blake would direct you to the nearest Johnny Rockets

http://deadspin.com/5588289/americas...ty-of-maryland

Thanks!!

Thanks, you guys are awesome. I think we're down to Ledo Pizza or Ray's the Classics.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Thanks, you guys are awesome. I think we're down to Ledo Pizza or Ray's the Classics.
    Ledo's started in CP and now exists all over the DC area. It is an acquired taste, that is, you must acquire the taste for excess grease to enjoy it. I am a huge Ledo's fan but it is not for everybody. There are plenty of decent places to eat in downtown Silver Spring.

I've been to CP a few times over the years. My best advice is not to spend anymore time there than you absolutely have to to soak in the really family-first experience you get at Comcast Center (eye roll). Generally speaking, wear clothing that you can get soda and beer spilled on. If we win the game, woof about it at your own peril. Also, parking out there is a nightmare.

May the Force be with you. Or at least, may Nate James be close by when trouble hits.

I grew up in College park. The Ledo in CP is not the original (which was in Adelphi and closed to move to CP about 2 years ago). Still fantastic pizza. Unusual crust and very sweet sauce. The pepperon is cut so stupidly thick that it turns the pizza into a giant pool of grease - even as someone who likes pepperoni I never order it at Ledo. Go with (precooked) bacon and onion or plain cheese. You won't be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartDevil View Post
    It has been about 4 years since I jaunted to College Park from DC but CP used to be a culinary wasteland.

I'd recommend you look at Silver Spring, not far away. Two places to check out are Jackie's and Ray's The Classics. Ray's The Classics (and his other 4 or 5 places in the greater DC area) are extremely well-regarded and, relative to other steakhouse places they compete with, comsidered great values for our area. The decor is usually pretty plain intentionally but is nice.

Jackie's is regarded as somewhat hip. Ray's is known for their good food and value.

Check 'em out online!
    Ray's the classics was solid and a good way to make the most of an otherwise disappointing evening! Thanks again!!

Ray's the classics was solid and a good way to make the most of an otherwise disappointing evening! Thanks again!!
    This post makes me want to head into Arlington to Ray's the Steaks next weekend! It's been too long since my last visit...

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    This post makes me want to head into Arlington to Ray's the Steaks next weekend! It's been too long since my last visit...
    Here, here. I haven't been there since 2010.
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

A late arrival to this, but if I had been more timely I would have suggested the floor of the Silver Spring Coca-Cola bottling plant.
    Seriously, it is clean beyond understanding. It's a shimmering example of why I don't endorse Pepsi.