Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I do not completely agree with you. Marshall only played three minutes and had a solid defensive play resulting in a steal. The reason Coach K put Mason back in when Len went to the FT line is he was subbing Mason back in for offense. The likelihood of picking up the third foul is greater on defense.

The game is obviously still moving too fast for Marshall and he missed the dunk on a pick-n-roll, but he will continue to improve with more time. And Marshall executed the pick-n-roll great right up until he slammed the ball off the rim.
    The missed dunk and the travel didn't bother me so much. The poorly executed defensive hedge where he showed then tried to double and left Len wide open underneath was borderline egregious. It's a shame he was hurt for so long, Marshall appears to have a lot to learn. I hope he works hard and is ready to play big minutes next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1029 View Post
    The reason Mason had his left hand/wrist wrapped today was that he tore a ligament in his thumb, according to Jeff Goodman. https://twitter.com/GoodmanCBS/statu...80502418591744
    I remember him wincing in the Miami game after a hard collision with Reggie Johnson and holding his hand. Wonder if that was when it happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    The missed dunk and the travel didn't bother me so much. The poorly executed defensive hedge where he showed then tried to double and left Len wide open underneath was borderline egregious. It's a shame he was hurt for so long, Marshall appears to have a lot to learn. I hope he works hard and is ready to play big minutes next season.
    I jumped out of my seat on this play. I love marshall's enthusiasm, he reminds me of a golden lab puppy, but he's not playing at game speed right now. I have no doubts that he'll figure it out eventually.

A solid game against a very determined Maryland team. Rasheed did a great job of keeping the Terps at bay in the first half and Amile "The Eel" Jefferson continues to wiggle and slither has way to points around the basket. That kid has an unbelievable knack for scoring around the rim.

A solid effort from the Curry/Quinn backcourt duo. Steady, solid play is all we need from both of them, game in and game out for the team to do very well.

Am I the only one who would love to see us do some more iso plays for Mason? I don't think there are many other bigs who can put the ball on the floor like he can.

Nice to see both Tyler and Josh continue to bring the effort, despite diminishing roles due to Ryan's injury.

Marshall and Alex got little burn, but their time will come. Whether it's latter this season or next year will depend entirely on what they do going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy c View Post
    I jumped out of my seat on this play. I love marshall's enthusiasm, he reminds me of a golden lab puppy, but he's not playing at game speed right now. I have no doubts that he'll figure it out eventually.
    I said in the game thread that Marshall reminds me of a freshman/sophomore version of Lance Thomas. There's a lot of frenetic movement, but not a lot of productive things happen with that movement. There's a whole lot of hustle, but not a lot of control. It's like he's rushing to try to do something, anything, positive, but not really doing so with any poise and purpose.

I have hope that, like Thomas, the game eventually slows down and Marshall can be an impact player. But those who are lauding his play to this point are guilty of looking too hard for a silver lining. Right now, he just doesn't appear to be ready to contribute.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Lots of players (especially big men) don't figure it out until their third (or later) years of college ball. Marshall appears to be moving along that path right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    A solid game against a very determined Maryland team. Rasheed did a great job of keeping the Terps at bay in the first half and Amile "The Eel" Jefferson continues to wiggle and slither has way to points around the basket. That kid has an unbelievable knack for scoring around the rim.

A solid effort from the Curry/Quinn backcourt duo. Steady, solid play is all we need from both of them, game in and game out for the team to do very well.

Am I the only one who would love to see us do some more iso plays for Mason? I don't think there are many other bigs who can put the ball on the floor like he can.

Nice to see both Tyler and Josh continue to bring the effort, despite diminishing roles due to Ryan's injury.

Marshall and Alex got little burn, but their time will come. Whether it's latter this season or next year will depend entirely on what they do going forward.
    well, ryan for one,

but I think you MIGHT be the only one...unless you are hoping mason breaks the record for turnovers....

dribbling and driving is not mason's game. He is able to do it sometimes with the right matchup/situation, but in general, it ends poorly. Take it when you can get it, but don't get greedy.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I was more impressed with the second half, actually.

THe first half was a lot of jump shooting (thank goodness they went in), but the second half was brilliantly flowing smooth offense...pick and rolls, cuts, great shots, dunks. That's how I want to see this duke team play...and hitting the threes is just the icing on the muffin.
    I stopped and re-wound the game twice just to admire how fluid we looked. One play especially (dunno exactly when but Jiggy started it with a hand-off high ball screen) developed so perfectly that I felt obligated to flamboyantly dissect it to my pre-occupied wife and five-month-old son. The play ended in a shooting foul. Still, our guys moved into position and passed the ball with perfect timing. K is a genius.

excellent form...

...by the crazies today. hadn't seen this mentioned yet. apologies in advance if it has. i loved the fact that mason's ridiculous reverse dunk follow was accompanied by loud chants of "acc." also liked the "maryland jerseys brought to you by mcdonald's" sign on the whiteboard in the shootaround, but it proved to be premature, as they didn't wear the ugliest ones today. "not our rival" took on special meaning, and "don't come back" was a chant that almost hearkened back to the more acerbic days of the 80s crazies. fun times in cameron today. =)

It will be way too hot for a porter so an IPA that isn't overly hoppy will be just right.
    I think I can probably figure out one of those.

And, to stay on topic, very nice win today. Impressive.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I think I can probably figure out one of those.

And, to stay on topic, very nice win today. Impressive.
    is beverage pairing ever not on topic?
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    is beverage pairing ever not on topic?
    I usually try to keep them on the Ymm, Beer thread, but just to be sure, wanted to post something about the game so as to stay out of trouble.

Now, if it's a BBQ question/post...

Many excellent things today, FT% not one of them. We shot better from behind the arc than we did from the FT line. I think we did that one other game this season. Maybe we should...
    Nah, forget that thought.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I usually try to keep them on the Ymm, Beer thread, but just to be sure, wanted to post something about the game so as to stay out of trouble.

Now, if it's a BBQ question/post...

Many excellent things today, FT% not one of them. We shot better from behind the arc than we did from the FT line. I think we did that one other game this season. Maybe we should...
    Nah, forget that thought.
    is it time we start asking coach calipari for advice on how to improve the percentage?

ugh...

anyway, mason clearly regressed again, but he's not the only culprit...
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Seems to me there is a connection between the increased intensity of Duke's play and the poor free throw shooting. Kind of like an early regular season game where the players go from practice speed to game speed, and it affects their free throw stroke. Coach K never seems concerned about such an occurrence in an early game, and I'm sure he considers the very intense play today well worth a lower free throw percentage.
    Defense is all about passion. Shooting is about precision.
    And as a wise man once said: "Passion is the enemy of precision."

Bonus points if you can name the movie for that quote without internet help.

Quote Originally Posted by hindugrass View Post
    ...by the crazies today. hadn't seen this mentioned yet. apologies in advance if it has. i loved the fact that mason's ridiculous reverse dunk follow was accompanied by loud chants of "acc." also liked the "maryland jerseys brought to you by mcdonald's" sign on the whiteboard in the shootaround, but it proved to be premature, as they didn't wear the ugliest ones today. "not our rival" took on special meaning, and "don't come back" was a chant that almost hearkened back to the more acerbic days of the 80s crazies. fun times in cameron today. =)

I was going to mention this too. I was happy with their execution as well I think with Maryland leaving the ACC, the Crazies had this one circled on the calendar. Lots to say with that. Hopefully we can get this enthusiasm the rest of the season!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Murphy was in the game in the 1st half for a very short time. K jerked him quickly, and when he came to the sideline, Coach directed him to sit at the end of the bench.
    When he came out, Coach directed him to talk to the trainer, not to sit at the end of the bench. (i sit in that end zone,and was watching when he came out.) He said maybe three words, then went back to his usual seat on the bench. As mentioned up thread, Coach thought he tweaked his knee. I wouldn't read anything more than that.

You can probably guess when this was taken...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Yep!, great reaction!...And to think, posters didn't like Marshall's hedge!
    Last edited by bedeviled; 01-26-2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: great rxns from players, former players, kind of former players, but I like Capel's "ooh, that's just nasty" the best

Yeah, he's coming back.

And, based on that picture, Alex Murphy might have had the best box out of the day.

Rebounding will be a major concern when we travel to Chapel Hill. If the Heels get after anything, it's the boards.

Capel's expression the best on that one.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Capel's expression the best on that one.
    Yeah, I'd have to go 1) Fierce Capel, 2) Happy Dre, 3) "Young Dutch boy in a candy store" Todd, 4) blue suit guy on the left (closest to my own reaction...), then maybe sad/jealous Wojo.