How many games do you have to win to win the ACC?

A slightly esoteric question perhaps but an important one nonetheless.

My guess is the "regular season" champion finishes at 15-3 or 14-4 this year. Example? See "State, NC" losing to Maryland and barely staving off Clemson this week in Raleigh. Every team has more losses coming.

I could see Duke finishing 15-3 or 14-4 and winning the conference reg season title.

Thoughts? Do you think 14-4 would do it?

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    A slightly esoteric question perhaps but an important one nonetheless.

My guess is the "regular season" champion finishes at 15-3 or 14-4 this year. Example? See "State, NC" losing to Maryland and barely staving off Clemson this week in Raleigh. Every team has more losses coming.

I could see Duke finishing 15-3 or 14-4 and winning the conference reg season title.

Thoughts? Do you think 14-4 would do it?
    I would think that three losses is the max, although four is not a bad number either. You need to win your home games, and pull out some tough road wins.

FWIW, kenpom projects that Duke will win the ACC with a 15-3 record with Miami as the runner-up at 14-4. I think that's about right -- over the past five years, the winner has won either 13 or 14 games in a 16-game schedule.

I'm thinking 17 - 1 in conference, 39 - 1 overall!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

If Kelly is back by our game in Tallahassee, I like our chances to win 15 or 16 games.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    If Kelly is back by our game in Tallahassee, I like our chances to win 15 or 16 games.
    I think we'll be fine without Kelly against FSU. Though it'd be nice to have him back as soon as reasonably possible.

As for the original question: it depends on the year. This year, I think 15-3 will win it for somebody.

I obviously want Ryan back as soon as possible and agree that we should beat FSU without him. I would much rather not have the opportunity to find out. After the FSU game, we host the pack... I don't want see the cj leslie show in cameron.

From everything I've read, Ryan is rehabbing well and should be back in 2-3 weeks at the most.

As far as wins, I think one team will have 3 or less. One from Tobacco Road.

Conference seems to have trouble scoring this year-many woefully low-scoring games.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I remember the good ol days of yonder where a strong ACC team would win the league with a record of 11-5 with 3 or more teams either tied with them or one game back at 10-6, but we are not yet back to that level. That said, I agree with those in the 15-3 camp, but would not be shocked if 14-4 is the number. Injuries will play a role this year as well. Miami and Duke already dealing with it. Should State lose a player to that very thin 6 man rotation they would be in a world of hurt.

I will not pretend to have a clue at this point on who the 4th best team is in this league. One or more of Duke, State, or Miami should be able to get to the 14/15 win level though.