Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    As an aside, it's amazing how quickly newspapers went from being indispensable to an afterthought, for most people. In June 1999, get this, I drove from R/DU down to Pinehurst to buy five days of the local newspaper to commemorate Payne Stewart's US Open win. That's only fourteen years ago, not fifty. I think statistically, 2003 was the inflection point for cratering newspaper subscriptions. I've always wondered why it was close to a decade after folks started having internet in their house.
    A further note on this aside...
    In November, 1963, office workers (my dad in Philadelphia among them) poured out of their work places upon hearing about the assasination of JFK, and went promptly to news stands, looking for the latest newspaper edition or special edition with the whole story. The news didn't seem real until they were able to read about it in their favorite local newspaper. On Sunday of that weekend, many newspapers published special editions on JFK and the assasination.

Things actually changed just during the course of that weekend; more and more people followed the news on television, and the networks went with wall-to-wall event coverage. That's history, but it's less than 50 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    A further note on this aside...
    In November, 1963, office workers (my dad in Philadelphia among them) poured out of their work places upon hearing about the assasination of JFK, and went promptly to news stands, looking for the latest newspaper edition or special edition with the whole story. The news didn't seem real until they were able to read about it in their favorite local newspaper. On Sunday of that weekend, many newspapers published special editions on JFK and the assasination.

Things actually changed just during the course of that weekend; more and more people followed the news on television, and the networks went with wall-to-wall event coverage. That's history, but it's less than 50 years ago.
    And, of course, part of the wall-to-wall weekend coverage was live TV coverage of Oswald getting shot by Jack Ruby. I was one of those watching; I was 6 at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    And, of course, part of the wall-to-wall weekend coverage was live TV coverage of Oswald getting shot by Jack Ruby. I was one of those watching; I was 6 at the time.
    I just found out, from reading Wiki, that CS Lewis and Aldous Huxley died the same day as Kennedy.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine