Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

We are #1 again! (for reals)

Louisville loses to Syracuse! That means that after just one week, we are #1 again.

Is it good or a curse

Quote Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
    Louisville loses to Syracuse! That means that after just one week, we are #1 again.
    The holders or the #1 ranking often don't stay there long. Without Ryan, we are weakened and will have to struggle to win, particularly on the road. Hope we can hold it for a while again.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Hope we can hold it for a while again.
    Zactly!!
    We may be #1 by some arcane poll math - but I really think we have work to do b4 we can do hearty chest thumpin over this.
    I'd rather not have an additional target at the moment... but thats just me

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Zactly!!
    We may be #1 by some arcane poll math - but I really think we have work to do b4 we can do hearty chest thumpin over this.
    I'd rather not have an additional target at the moment... but thats just me
    And we play a tough Miami team next and they will be fired up as every team does for DUKE. Looking for more improvment from Rasheed, Amile, Alex and a good shooting night from everyone. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    And we play a tough Miami team next and they will be fired up as every team does for DUKE. Looking for more improvment from Rasheed, Amile, Alex and a good shooting night from everyone. GoDuke!
    Yeah, I bet Miami will be ranked for that one, too. That team currently is #4 per RPI.

Kansas will get some votes as well, but we'll most likely carry the day.

Until Ryan returns, and/or we come up with a workable plan in his absence, we may be ranked first but we are far from the best team in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Until Ryan returns, and/or we come up with a workable plan in his absence, we may be ranked first but we are far from the best team in the country.
    Exactly. Thanks for being a realist. This prophet of doom appreciates that.

Ryan is arguably the most versatile big man in the country. There isn't a better all-around offensive player over 6-10. He is, essentially, the fulcrum that makes our spacing-centric offense run as smoothly as it does. He's not replaceable, and we will be very fortunate to be playing in the second weekend of the tournament without him.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
    Yeah, I bet Miami will be ranked for that one, too. That team currently is #4 per RPI.
    THIS - Miami is the lone team to stay unbeaten in league play. Win Wednesday and they have a strong hold on first place ACC as that puts Duke at 3-2. (Though we could make one back on the return trip to Cameron)..

Lose at Miami and it is no longer in our control as they say..

Though my point was merely how good Miami is. When they had Reggie Johnson they beat Michigan State ! This is a real team. Beat what we can see is a decent UNC team - more importantly, UNC may have 5 losses, but only one is at home - you got it - Miami. All othere UNC Losses were on the road. This includes a legit win over #20 UNLV.

Not to be too hung up on UNC but my point is Miami is legitimate. Larkin at point, Durand Scott has been a very good player for a while now, Kenny Kadji as one of the more 'Ryan Kelly' like players in the league as he can shoot at 6'11" (does not shoot as well as Kelly, but probably a little more athletic and a decent shooter), and Trey McKinney Jones too. THose 4 are very very solid players. That's why they have hung in despite the loss of Johnson. Honestly I could see Miami winning an NCAA game or two pretty easily with Reggie Johnson back. Key here is that all but Shane Larkin are Seniors too.

Really will not be shocked to see Duke lose this one - dont want that but its going to be tough ; just a little less tough than NC State I would say.

Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    With Ryan Kelly out, I doubt AP voters will vote more for us than Michigan, especially after Michigan's impressive road win over #8 Minnesota. I am guessing Michigan is going to get more number one votes this week than Duke.

we're not #1

At least I hope we're not. Just a bigger target on our back and more of an excuse for court storming if we lose at Miami. The team that will take the floor in Miami is not the best team in the country. If I had a vote, I'd put us third after Michigan and Kansas and hope we can pull off what would feel like an upset if we won at Miami without Ryan.

I think Duke will get everyone's best shot whether they're ranked 1st or 358th. As long as Duke is on the front of the jersey and K is on the sideline.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Misunderestimated View Post
    I think Duke will get everyone's best shot whether they're ranked 1st or 358th. As long as Duke is on the front of the jersey and K is on the sideline.

Well stated. 35 court rushes over the last 41 road losses confirms it. I would love to know who the 2nd place team is in terms of court rushed against, cause I bet the percentage is nowhere close to approaching ours...

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Well stated. 35 court rushes over the last 41 road losses confirms it. I would love to know who the 2nd place team is in terms of court rushed against, cause I bet the percentage is nowhere close to approaching ours...
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you find this "stat"? The only reason I ask is because I love that type of stuff. I'm a big numbers person with sports. I used to count on Duke Blue Planet the magazine for that type of unique, in-depth Duke information, but unfortunately that magazine is apparently no longer being distributed via mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you find this "stat"? The only reason I ask is because I love that type of stuff. I'm a big numbers person with sports. I used to count on Duke Blue Planet the magazine for that type of unique, in-depth Duke information, but unfortunately that magazine is apparently no longer being distributed via mail.
    It was in a recent article. Duke has been "court rushed" in 81% of their road losses over the years. Obviously, we are a top team in those losses.

Quote Originally Posted by wallyman View Post
    At least I hope we're not. Just a bigger target on our back and more of an excuse for court storming if we lose at Miami. The team that will take the floor in Miami is not the best team in the country. If I had a vote, I'd put us third after Michigan and Kansas and hope we can pull off what would feel like an upset if we won at Miami without Ryan.
    Yeah, since the rankings really don't matter much until March, I was kinda hoping it might be another week or two before we took over that perch again, if only to deny anybody that little extra incentive of knocking off number one. And, yes, Miami is a VERY good team, albeit soimewhat underappreciated in the polls so far (oops, another incentive for the Canes...). Arrrgh!

Not that it matters much this early, but I think it fairly obvious Duke moves back to number one again this week, though KA and Mich certainly will get some love. Mostly just want to see us keep getting better, especially growing into our new roles/chemistry sans Kelly. This has turned into a really interesting season so far... Hmmmm.

I'm really eager to see, given an extra six days of prep time, what K and staff start strategizing to do with our altered line-up. Will be interesting. Personally, I was really pleased to see AJ to get that foul bug a bit more under control vs Ga Tech, and play so many minutes (around 25 I think). Kid's going to be really important to us this year...
    Last edited by -bdbd; 01-19-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScreechTDX1847 View Post
    It was in a recent article. Duke has been "court rushed" in 81% of their road losses over the years. Obviously, we are a top team in those losses.
    Thanks, Screech. I will scour Duke Update for it.

Not that it matters...

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Yeah, since the rankings really don't matter much until March, I was kinda hoping it might be another week or two before we took over that perch again, if only to deny anybody that little extra incentive of knocking off number one. And, yes, Miami is a VERY good team, albeit soimewhat underappreciated in the polls so far (oops, another incentive for the Canes...). Arrrgh!

Not that it matters much this early, but I think it fairly obvious Duke moves back to number one again this week, though KA and Mich certainly will get some love. Mostly just want to see us keep getting better, especially growing into our new roles/chemistry sans Kelly. This has turned into a really interesting season so far... Hmmmm.

I'm really eager to see, given an extra six days of prep time, what K and staff start strategizing to do with our altered line-up. Will be interesting. Personally, I was really pleased to see AJ to get that foul bug a bit more under control vs Ga Tech, and play so many minutes (around 25 I think). Kid's going to be really important to us this year...

Operative point is not that it matters, because it doesn't. At all. And, yeah, no one seems to need a special invitation to rush the court vs us. But, even if it doesn't matter, really don't see why we merit #1. Gets down to questions of how much you reflect and discount injuries. But I doubt any voter really thinks our remarkable Nov-Dec. run would have been accomplished without Ryan on the court. Given his absence for anywhere from several more weeks to the rest of the season seems flawed to credit the lineup Duke now plays with the victories achieved by a different one when two really good teams (you could add Syracuse) have similar records and resumes. That said, here's hoping we beat Miami, render court rushing moot and add a bit more credence to wherever we end up -- 1, 2 or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    He's not replaceable, and we will be very fortunate to be playing in the second weekend of the tournament without him.
    OK, I agree that Ryan is uber-important for our team and I can respect a healthy dose of pessimism, but I completely disagree with the above. Without Ryan we should still be a Sweet 16 team (with the possibility of better if we get lucky). I think without Ryan we'd be "very fortunate" to play in the third weekend of the tourney, but I also think losing one of the first two games would be a big disappointment, rather than a reasonable expectation as you seem to imply.