Thread: Tajh returning

Tajh returning

Portions of Clemson press release.

"Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd announced Wednesday that he will return to program for his senior year. Boyd has quarterbacked the Tigers to consecutive seasons of at least 10 wins, a first for the program since the 1987-90 era when Clemson had four straight 10 win seasons.

Clemson had an 11-2 record this year, the program’s highest win total since 1981. The Tigers concluded the season with a 25-24 win over seventh-ranked (USA Today) LSU team in the Chick-fil-A Bowl. Boyd was 36-50 for 346 yards and two touchdowns in that game.

“I’ve enjoyed my time here at Clemson,” said Boyd. “I’ve been a part of a great family and learned so much as a person and as a player. I’m not ready to give it up yet, so I’m here to announce that I’ll be returning for my senior season here at Clemson University.

“It was a big process. I had pros and cons for each side. For me, it came down to me enjoying being at Clemson. I love playing college football and I feel like we have a lot of goals left on the table.

“I thought it (the decision) was pretty clear at first, but its been weighing on me for about the past five days. So I really sat down and thought about it, prayed about it. In the end it (coming back) was the best decision for me.” "

Thanks for the update.

I've really enjoyed watching Boyd play this season, especially the LSU game. I'm not a big fan of Clempsen fans but it seems like Dabo is running a good, clean program down there. Also good to see a QB of Boyd's caliber coming back for his senior. I dunno what his draft projections were, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't a first rounder. That probably made his decision a little easier.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Thanks for the update.

I've really enjoyed watching Boyd play this season, especially the LSU game. I'm not a big fan of Clempsen fans but it seems like Dabo is running a good, clean program down there. Also good to see a QB of Boyd's caliber coming back for his senior. I dunno what his draft projections were, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't a first rounder. That probably made his decision a little easier.
    Boyd was projected 2-4 round. If it was indeed the 2nd round, it would have been in his best interest to go pro. But Dabo is quite the salesmen, and has looked out for his own interest rather than his player's interests in the past (Spiller, Kyle Parker, Ellington, etc.). I wouldn't be surprised to see Nuk Hopkins come back for Clemson too, despite being projected in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by ns7 View Post
    Boyd was projected 2-4 round. If it was indeed the 2nd round, it would have been in his best interest to go pro. But Dabo is quite the salesmen, and has looked out for his own interest rather than his player's interests in the past (Spiller, Kyle Parker, Ellington, etc.). I wouldn't be surprised to see Nuk Hopkins come back for Clemson too, despite being projected in the first round.
    Well his decisions seems tough. He wasn't a sure fire pick like the Barkley or Landry Jones type. He also gets to come back and throw to Sammy Watkins. So he could theoretically improve his draft value although history has shown this is usually the opposite of what is happening. On top of that, this year is a down year for QBs and he might have shown enough to impress and deserve early round consideration. But then he gets to come back to college which you can't really put a value on.

I think I would have left but I can't really fault him for staying either.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Portions of Clemson press release.

"Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd announced Wednesday that he will return to program for his senior year. Boyd has quarterbacked the Tigers to consecutive seasons of at least 10 wins, a first for the program since the 1987-90 era when Clemson had four straight 10 win seasons.

Clemson had an 11-2 record this year, the program’s highest win total since 1981. The Tigers concluded the season with a 25-24 win over seventh-ranked (USA Today) LSU team in the Chick-fil-A Bowl. Boyd was 36-50 for 346 yards and two touchdowns in that game.

“I’ve enjoyed my time here at Clemson,” said Boyd. “I’ve been a part of a great family and learned so much as a person and as a player. I’m not ready to give it up yet, so I’m here to announce that I’ll be returning for my senior season here at Clemson University.

“It was a big process. I had pros and cons for each side. For me, it came down to me enjoying being at Clemson. I love playing college football and I feel like we have a lot of goals left on the table.

“I thought it (the decision) was pretty clear at first, but its been weighing on me for about the past five days. So I really sat down and thought about it, prayed about it. In the end it (coming back) was the best decision for me.” "
    If Tajh had been a running back I would have said, "Go." For quarterbacks the clock isn't ticking as fast and there is more to learn.

I applaud his reasons for staying. He is enjoying his college experience and once you leave you can't get that back.

Several points:

Even in a down year for quarterbacks, Tajh was much more likely to be a 4th round selection than a 2nd round selection. Returning is the right decision.

Dabo has been quoted numerous times as saying that he advises anyone with a 1st round projection to enter the draft. Spiller was an unusual individual who wanted to experience his senior year. The other two guys you mentioned did not have first round projections.

Nuk is more likely to be a high second round choice, but hardly any of us expect him to return, and frankly he shouldn't. Returning to school will not make him any faster, and he would have a hard time improving his statistics from this year, particularly with Sammy back at full speed.

I enjoyed watching Duke play this year, and it's a shame you couldn't pull off the bowl victory. Good luck next year.

Boyd was projected 2-4 round. If it was indeed the 2nd round, it would have been in his best interest to go pro. But Dabo is quite the salesmen,and has looked out for his own interest rather than his player's interests in the past (Spiller, Kyle Parker, Ellington, etc.). I wouldn't be surprised to see Nuk Hopkins come back for Clemson too, despite being projected in the first round.
    I'd be really interested to hear how the players you mentioned (along with "etc."?) are examples of Dabo looking out for his own interests.

Dabo thought CJ was gone after his Junior year. CJ came back to honor the promise he made to his mother that he would graduate before he left college. CJ's announcement to stay at Clemson was a surprise to Dabo (unless you don't beleive what Dabo and CJ have both said about the day he announced, making them both in on some conspiracy to hide the truth from the world.) He was also not a guaranteed 1st Rounder after his Junior year - though he ended up being the 8th Overall pick after his Senior campaign, so he apparently improved his value by coming back.

Parker went pro after his Junior year. In baseball. I'm not sure how that served Dabo's interests unless he had some benefit from the signing bonus Parker picked up from the Rockies?

Ellington did not receive a 1st Round grade after his Junior year and had lingering questions about his durability.

I have no details on the situation surrounding "etc."

Strange to find a thinly veiled shot at Dabo Swinney's character on a Duke Basketball board.

As for the draft board rating for Tajh I don't believe that there is a "2nd Round", "3rd Round", "4th Round" rating to differentiate between. What he was told is that he would not have a "First Day" rating - so not 1st Round. The poster makes it sound as if Tajh may have received a 2nd Round rating but the nefarious Dabo Swinney convinced him that wasn't good enough to take the money and run but they are also conspiring to keep the heat off of Dabo so Tajh is making a general reference to "somewhere between 2nd and 4th" when he really knows it was 2nd.

Klem

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    I look forward to getting one final look at him on Dec 7.

Seriously though, this is important for the ACC getting a shot at the BCSCG. It's a long shot, but Clemson is probably the best team in conference next year and we should be pulling for them to win out.

Quote Originally Posted by Klemnop View Post
    I'd be really interested to hear how the players you mentioned (along with "etc."?) are examples of Dabo looking out for his own interests.
    Parker went pro after his Junior year. In baseball. I'm not sure how that served Dabo's interests unless he had some benefit from the signing bonus Parker picked up from the Rockies?
    My comment is mainly based on the handling of Parker. From my understanding, Parker forfeited quite a bit of money to play for Clemson in 2010. Was it in his best interest to come back? Probably not, but it saved the team from playing Boyd before he was ready.
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...t-kyle-parker/

I was wrong on Ellington, and I apologize. I was under the impression he had a first round grade. I looked it up and he was a mid round grade last year. Also, Nuk Hopkins declared so count me wrong on that.

But besides Bowers in 2011, Clemson has had a lot of high profile players come back to school under Swinney. Spiller should have gone early--he is an amazing talent and would have shined in the combine as a junior.

Quote Originally Posted by Klemnop View Post
    Strange to find a thinly veiled shot at Dabo Swinney's character on a Duke Basketball board.
    I've seen Coach Swinney's speech on rivalries before the ACCCG which left me with a poor impression of him. I can't imagine K staging an event like that.

Hopkins go bye-bye

"Clemson All-America receiver DeAndre “Nuk” Hopkins, who caught at least one touchdown pass against all 12 FBS opponents the Tigers played in 2012, has decided to forego his senior year and will enter the 2013 NFL draft. Hopkins told his teammates at a team meeting late Thursday afternoon.

“It is tough to leave because this is my home, this is the place I wanted to play since I came out of the womb,” said Hopkins. “But, I feel it is best for me and my family to take my talents to NFL at this time.

“I have to thank the Clemson alumni, the fans, the coaches and my teammates for all the support they have given me through the good times and the bad. No matter what I will always be a Clemson Tiger.” "

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Hopkins go bye-bye

"Clemson All-America receiver DeAndre “Nuk” Hopkins, who caught at least one touchdown pass against all 12 FBS opponents the Tigers played in 2012, has decided to forego his senior year and will enter the 2013 NFL draft. Hopkins told his teammates at a team meeting late Thursday afternoon.

“It is tough to leave because this is my home, this is the place I wanted to play since I came out of the womb,” said Hopkins. “But, I feel it is best for me and my family to take my talents to NFL at this time.

“I have to thank the Clemson alumni, the fans, the coaches and my teammates for all the support they have given me through the good times and the bad. No matter what I will always be a Clemson Tiger.” "
    Kiper gives him a second round grade but I think he breaks into the first round. He seemed to run good routes and could go up and get the ball.

Clemson is loaded with young four star receivers so they'll be fine *if* one of them steps up as a complement to Watkins. Charone Peake, Martavis Bryant, or Mike Williams (incoming 4 star) are the candidates. Clemson could have really used Bud Robinson, who flipped to Florida.

Would be great if Duke could pull in some of these receivers--the system is tailor-made to showcase good QBs and WRs.