Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Going to Canada (passport?)

I'm planning on seeing the O's play Toronto at Skydome the weekend of Sept. 14.

I've never been to Canada.

Do I need a passport? I'm flying from Atlanta to Toronto (I'll be on a plane).

-EarlJam

yes, both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post

-EarlJam
    Please yell out a few cheers from me. Pretty please?!? (big pout on my face)

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    yes, both ways.
    Sh&t!

Thanks.

Mine expired a few years ago. I don't know if I can get a new one in time for the trip. That would be a freakin' shame.

-EarlJam

http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadat...izenborder.htm

This says:
    US Citizens Visiting Canada by Air
    Until September 30, 2007, American citizens flying to Canada do not need a passport if they can show the following:

1. Department of State official proof of passport application

AND

2. Government-issued photo identification.

The US government announced June 8, 2007, that it had relaxed earlier stricter requirements due to a backlog of passport applications. Thus, until September 30, 2007, visitors to Canada arriving by air need only present proof of passport application rather than a passport itself. These requirements are less strict than those originally mandated in January 2007 by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadat...izenborder.htm

This says:
    US Citizens Visiting Canada by Air
    Until September 30, 2007, American citizens flying to Canada do not need a passport if they can show the following:

1. Department of State official proof of passport application

AND

2. Government-issued photo identification.

The US government announced June 8, 2007, that it had relaxed earlier stricter requirements due to a backlog of passport applications. Thus, until September 30, 2007, visitors to Canada arriving by air need only present proof of passport application rather than a passport itself. These requirements are less strict than those originally mandated in January 2007 by the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).

Hot Dayyymn, I can go! RThomas, awesome info. Thanks!

(Had to change "yahoo" to "hot dayyymn." With the search engine, 'Yahoo' just doesn't mean what it used to.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).

-EarlJam
    If you choose to drive you won't need one to get in to Canada but you would probably need one to go home.

The Skydome's name was changed to the Rogers Center a while ago because Ted Rogers and Rogers Communication bought the building (along with the team IIRC). But nobody up here calls it anything other than the Skydome or the Dome. I love the fact that you, being in Atlanta, still use the old name too. Rogers must be pissed.

if you get a chance . . .

go to the CN Tower and walk over the glass floor. It overlooks the Skydome, or whatever it's called. I almost peed myself, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    go to the CN Tower and walk over the glass floor. It overlooks the Skydome, or whatever it's called. I almost peed myself, myself.
    I'm pertrified of heights and refuse to walk on that. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    I'm pertrified of heights and refuse to walk on that. Ever.
    That sounds scary as hell - but I, EarlJam, will do it.

Hey Colchar, where in Canada do you live? Near Toronto? Can you make that game?

Anyone in Canada? I've never met a real Canadian before.

-EarlJam

$520.00

That's the cheapest airfare I can currently find (Atlanta to Toronto).

$520.00

EarlJam wishes not to pay that amount. Seems a bit steep.

Anyone got any suggestions or inside connections?

-EarlJam

Take your expired passport anyway. 'Expired' does not mean its information is bad. All they can do is yell at you.

You don't have time, but if you do send in your old passport for renewal (now a 6-8 week wait), you can get a letter from the State Department saying you have reapplied for one. But...to get the letter will take about 2 weeks (even if you can get it on-line).

The old one is still good for ID purposes. The only thing out of date would be your picture and the fee. Also you aren't electronically trackable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Take your expired passport anyway. 'Expired' does not mean its information is bad. All they can do is yell at you.

You don't have time, but if you do send in your old passport for renewal (now a 6-8 week wait), you can get a letter from the State Department saying you have reapplied for one. But...to get the letter will take about 2 weeks (even if you can get it on-line).

The old one is still good for ID purposes. The only thing out of date would be your picture and the fee. Also you aren't electronically trackable.
    Thanks Jim3K. Only thing is, I've moved a few times since it expired and I'm not exactly sure I can find it. It takes 2 weeks just to get a letter confirming that I've applied? Geesh.

Would it just be easier to fly into some place near the border and cab it across?

Earl "in a" Jam

Catch a ride with Michel Fournier! I bet it's better than the glass floor!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Catch a ride with Michel Fournier! I bet it's better than the glass floor!
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Canada!

For the benefit of those of you in the south east this week, I am in the Toronto area right now having flown up from RDU yesterday. Last night we sat outside for dinner and appreciated the cool Canadian breezes. Our host & business partner says tonight we may not be able to sit outside since it seems "kind of humid today". Those of us from the Triangle disagree with this characterization - too us it seems like fantastic weather.

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    For the benefit of those of you in the south east this week, I am in the Toronto area right now having flown up from RDU yesterday. Last night we sat outside for dinner and appreciated the cool Canadian breezes. Our host & business partner says tonight we may not be able to sit outside since it seems "kind of humid today". Those of us from the Triangle disagree with this characterization - too us it seems like fantastic weather.
    Merry,

Was it a pain in the arse to get there? I don't mind jumping through all the hoops to get to London or Tokyo or Havana, but Toronto? It's practically in the U.S.

I'm getting a gut feeling that getting there for my trip is going to be a real pain. Sounds like it's worth it though.

fly to detroit or buffalo

fly to buffalo or detroit and drive across. It will be easier and probably cheaper. Plus you can get wings in Buffalo!

That's the cheapest airfare I can currently find (Atlanta to Toronto).

$520.00

EarlJam wishes not to pay that amount. Seems a bit steep.

Anyone got any suggestions or inside connections?

-EarlJam
    Well, I've got more frequent flyer miles than I need, but they're all on United.