Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I always heard it had something to do with the amount of cloth needed to make a dress.

Knowing absolutely nothing about how to make a dress, I could care less.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I always heard it had something to do with the amount of cloth needed to make a dress.

Knowing absolutely nothing about how to make a dress, I could care less.
    Jim -- Nine yards is 27 sq. ft. I believe the dress would need to be subcontracted to Omar the Tentmaker.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Jim -- Nine yards is 27 sq. ft. I believe the dress would need to be subcontracted to Omar the Tentmaker.

sagegrouse
    Wouldn't 9 yd2 = 81 ft2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Wouldn't 9 yd2 = 81 ft2 ?
    Yup. It makes my case even stronger.

I would offer to turn in my Duke math degree, but I am afraid it owuld be accepted.

sagegrouse

Maybe it's a wedding dress? Have you seen the trains and veils on some of those suckers in the good old days? Wow.

I had heard the same explanation as offerred by Jim Sumner about dress-making. Maybe it was specifically with regard to bridal gowns?
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

A dress or skirt could cover a lot, or not.

Nine yards? Very possible.
    99.jpg

Not so much.
    885.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Camion, of all people, must know this is a truck-based reference!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Camion, of all people, must know this is a truck-based reference!
    Well, maybe.

But pictures of trucks aren't usually as interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I had heard the same explanation as offerred by Jim Sumner about dress-making. Maybe it was specifically with regard to bridal gowns?
    I dunno guys, but the "little black dress" uses less than a sq. yard of cloth, unless it is more than one or two layers.

Having already disgraced myself once on math, let me try again. If a dress goes, at most, from the shoulder to the floor and the wearer is 5-6, then one dimension is about 4-6. If the wearer is, at most 36 inches around (I can tell I'm getting in trouble), then one "wrap" or layer is 1.5 sq. yards (54 x 36 inches divided by 36 squared). To use up 9 sq. yards, there would have to be six layers. Seem like a lot, but I doubt that I dig more deeply into dressmaking to see if it's reasonable.

-- sagegrouse

I dunno guys, but the "little black dress" uses less than a sq. yard of cloth, unless it is more than one or two layers.

Having already disgraced myself once on math, let me try again. If a dress goes, at most, from the shoulder to the floor and the wearer is 5-6, then one dimension is about 4-6. If the wearer is, at most 36 inches around (I can tell I'm getting in trouble), then one "wrap" or layer is 1.5 sq. yards (54 x 36 inches divided by 36 squared). To use up 9 sq. yards, there would have to be six layers. Seem like a lot, but I doubt that I dig more deeply into dressmaking to see if it's reasonable.

-- sagegrouse
    Camion, I am counting on you for a pictorial response.

In the name of linguistics, of course.

Sage - Refer to picture 1 in my previous post. I'd estimate the radius of the skirt at 4.5 feet. Assuming a circle of fabric that gets you close to 9 yards even without layering or the top "half". Picture number 2 is pretty close to your estimate. Even though it isn't black it's little and a dress.

OPK - a link
    Pick an exhibit you think appropriate.

Now maybe we should stagger back toward the original topic.

-- sagegrouse
    Like I said, have you seen the trains on some of those old wedding gowns?