Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marshall Plumlee?

Anyone know his status? I think he played a minute or two against Cornell but then none vs Elon? Is he for sure to come in in January? Is his issue a broken bone in his foot?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Anyone know his status? I think he played a minute or two against Cornell but then none vs Elon? Is he for sure to come in in January? Is his issue a broken bone in his foot?
    I wish I knew the answer, but I don't. I just wanted to say that if you hadn't asked this question, I was going to. So? Anyone out there know anything?

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    I think most of us knew this already, but that appears to me to be just an in initial diagnoses. Since a few days have passed now, it would be nice to know what his status is at this point, and what to expect in the near future regarding this latest injury. Any insider info out there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ricks

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Since a few days have passed now, it would be nice to know what his status is at this point, and what to expect in the near future regarding this latest injury.

ricks
    During the Elon post game press conference, Coach Krzyzewski indicated Marshall Plumlee would return on December 26. So I fully expect he will be participating in practice preparing to play in the Santa Clara game:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/pl...db_oem_id=4200

His comments on MP3 start about the 4:15 mark.
    Bob Green

Up date for this weekend anyone???

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Up date for this weekend anyone???
    last i read he was expected to play...not sure where i read it though
    April 1

Any word as to why he only played 1 minute against Santa Clara? His rebound per minute numbers are phenomenal - so far he has 3 rebounds in 3 minutes!

Judy guessing'

Quote Originally Posted by basket1544 View Post
    Any word as to why he only played 1 minute against Santa Clara? His rebound per minute numbers are phenomenal - so far he has 3 rebounds in 3 minutes!
    Might have had to do with the score. Duke never really put SC away and maybe K didn't want to chance playing a freshman who is just coming back from an injury. Plus, MP2 was having a very good game.

Because it was a close game and Mason was freaking unbelievable?

And (though I suspect you were posting in jest a bit here) I wouldn't read much into his per-minute rebound numbers. That's a REALLY small sample size. His one rebound against Santa Clara was a case where the ball happened to fall right to him, and the Cornell game was against a really overmatched opponent.

Unless Mason gets in foul trouble or injured, I don't see Marshall seeing very many minutes this year. And even then, I'm not sure he'd see a ton of minutes unless Kelly or Hairston was in foul trouble or injured. Hopefully he proves me wrong (in a good way), but I've seen nothing yet to suggest he's ready to take minutes from either Kelly or Mason.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Might have had to do with the score. Duke never really put SC away and maybe K didn't want to chance playing a freshman who is just coming back from an injury. Plus, MP2 was having a very good game.
    I think that is pretty good guessing. Mason was a beast in that game - abusing the SC interior. No way to keep him off the court.

Also, it appears to me that Mason just doesn't get tired going at full speed throughout the game. One point, to me, is that his free throw actually improved as the game went on... making 5(?) in a row...

I would agree that Marshall's minutes, or lack thereof, against Santa Clara were largely dictated by the competetiveness of the game. OTOH, we same him post-game at the WD Inn. He was wearing the protective boot(SOP I assume), but appeared a little down. Perhaps I mistook that as "If you don't mind, I would like to eat my meal with some privacy." In any event, I sure hope he is recovering.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Because it was a close game and Mason was freaking unbelievable?

And (though I suspect you were posting in jest a bit here) I wouldn't read much into his per-minute rebound numbers. That's a REALLY small sample size. His one rebound against Santa Clara was a case where the ball happened to fall right to him, and the Cornell game was against a really overmatched opponent.

Unless Mason gets in foul trouble or injured, I don't see Marshall seeing very many minutes this year. And even then, I'm not sure he'd see a ton of minutes unless Kelly or Hairston was in foul trouble or injured. Hopefully he proves me wrong (in a good way), but I've seen nothing yet to suggest he's ready to take minutes from either Kelly or Mason.
    If Marshall doesn't get substantial game experience in league play, the front line for next year is suspect. Jabari will probably start as a small four with good length and leaping but with an inexperienced Marshall, an undersized (albeit strong) nonleaper in Hairston, and another scrappy but underweight four in Jefferson the options down low are not national caliber. Maybe another big appears from the woodwork but Duke will be exploited all season if two 6'8" forwards have to man the paint anywhere near half the game next year.

The last minute of the game, Coach K brought in Alex and someone else and took out Mason and Seth. I thought it was interesting that they were up 13 and he didn't put in Marshall for Ryan as well. I agree that the lead will have to be pretty significant or there will be foul trouble before we see MP3 for significant minutes, but I just wondered if I missed a post-game comment on the foot. I certainly don't want to take a minute or a point away from Mason this year, but also don't want him gassed at the end of the year.
    Oh and yes, I was jesting about the rebounds per minute. He should definitely keep that up!

Quote Originally Posted by CALVET View Post
    If Marshall doesn't get substantial game experience in league play, the front line for next year is suspect. Jabari will probably start as a small four with good length and leaping...
    Jabari is supposed to be 6'8". You think 6'8" is a small college four? OK, in our 11 games so far, guess how many teams we've played whose primary PF is taller than 6'8? OK, I'll tell you. Two -- Kyle Wiltjer, who stands 6'10" for UK and doesn't play inside, and Santa Clara's PF, who is 6'9". While Jabari's offensive game may be more perimeter-oriented, he's plenty big to defend college PFs.

Quote Originally Posted by CALVET View Post
    ...but with an inexperienced Marshall, an undersized (albeit strong) nonleaper in Hairston, and another scrappy but underweight four in Jefferson the options down low are not national caliber. Maybe another big appears from the woodwork but Duke will be exploited all season if two 6'8" forwards have to man the paint anywhere near half the game next year.
    Why are you so sure that Amile is going to be underweight eleven months from now? You don't think 19 year olds with a year+ of weight training put on any pounds?

Also, who is going to "exploit" us all season? You know how many teams we've faced so far who had a center taller than 6'9 who played more than half the game? Three out of eleven -- Noel for UK is 6'10; Ohio State's backup center is 6'11 and played 27 minutes off the bench, and Santa Clara's 7 footer played 22 minutes. So, if our 7' center had played exactly half the game, our backup center would have given up size against UK and for a few minutes in two other games. Ironically, since Mason had foul trouble against UK, Josh was forced to play 14 minutes in the post and we still won the game (which to me means Josh probably wasn't "exploited").

So perhaps you've overstated your concerns here just a little bit.

I certainly don't want to take a minute or a point away from Mason this year, but also don't want him gassed at the end of the year.
    I know 2013 is here now, but is it really already time to talk about how a 22 year old kid is going to be tired out two months after he averaged 33 mpg in the early season instead of 31?

I would really like to see Marshall take some of the minutes that Josh is currently getting. We have played two Plumlees together quite a bit over the past two seasons, and I don't see why we couldn't go with Mason and Marshall together for the 5-8 minutes that Ryan is on the bench each game. Given that Marshall has been great in his very limited minutes thus far, and by all accounts has been great in practice, I have to think that physically he's just not ready yet. Something about his foot still isn't right - that's the only thing that makes any sense.

Simply stated, we are doomed unless Marshall plays fifteen minutes a game. I do not know why k keeps our two senior all-ACC candidates on the floor, or why he uses a third year player ahead of him.

It's not like being injured since the preseason has slowed down Marshall's practice or rhythm with his teammates.

Color me "baffled."

Having said all of that, though, Marshall seems like a good kid with lots of energy and vertical size. His role will grow over the years and perhaps even the next three months. Patience, Grasshopper, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Simply stated, we are doomed unless Marshall plays fifteen minutes a game. I do not know why k keeps our two senior all-ACC candidates on the floor, or why he uses a third year player ahead of him.

It's not like being injured since the preseason has slowed down Marshall's practice or rhythm with his teammates.

Color me "baffled."

Having said all of that, though, Marshall seems like a good kid with lots of energy and vertical size. His role will grow over the years and perhaps even the next three months. Patience, Grasshopper, patience.
    From the comments on the thread we may be doomed for ever more if Marshall does not play. I think if he never plays- he could become legendary and go down as the best "only if" player in Duke history - a player that could have led Duke to 4 national championships had K not been so short sighted.

Quote Originally Posted by cptnflash View Post
    Given that Marshall has been great in his very limited minutes thus far, and by all accounts has been great in practice, I have to think that physically he's just not ready yet. Something about his foot still isn't right - that's the only thing that makes any sense.
    Let's not get carried away here. Marshall has played exactly 3 minutes. In that time, he has gotten a fingertip on an off-balance leaner by a small guard, caught an offensive rebound that fell right in his lap, looked awkward in his missed putback attempt, and gotten two other defensive boards against an undersized opponent. That is not exactly what I would call "looking great."

Basically, he's shown energy and not much else (neither good nor bad) in his VERY limited minutes. I know we all want Marshall to become a key player, but let's not allow that desire cloud our view of the actual gameplay.