"down year" in college basketball

would someone please explain to me what a "down year" is? and why is it ALWAYS a "down year" when duke does well?

someone mentioned that a "down year" was when there were no dominant teams that blow everyone out. So does that mean that when there is a fiercely competitive year where amazingly close games are won and lost, that means it's a "down year"....?

i don't like the "down year" thing....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    would someone please explain to me what a "down year" is? and why is it ALWAYS a "down year" when duke does well?
    Hey, moonpie...just because you are paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get ya.
    Bob Green

A "down year" by definition is a year when a team you don't like does well. Ask UNC fans about 2010 (or Duke fans about 2009). I'm not sure I've ever heard the term used in any other context.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Hey, moonpie...just because you are paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get ya.
    bob, there's a reason why you get the BIG bucks!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

It's better than no excuse at all...

Hasn't every year since 1978 been decried as a down year?

Either one team is dominant over a weak field, or the whole field lacks true great teams.

Some folks (not the original poster) need a new sport.

It's been down since everybody leaves early. If they put the rule back that you had to stay 3 years or go straight form high school to the NBA we would get to see a much better brand of ball.

Actually, you could look it up. In basketball a down year is when more teams lose than win, and conversely, an up year is when more teams win than lose. It's some kind of Mayan rule. Those guys nail it every time, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Actually, you could look it up. In basketball a down year is when more teams lose than win, and conversely, an up year is when more teams win than lose. It's some kind of Mayan rule. Those guys nail it every time, don't they?
    Except that ignores ties

I've always always looked at the quality of players in that year based on NBA success of the guys taken in the draft THAT year (So Mason or Miles or Nolan or Kyle wouldn't count for 2010 but would for 2011)

How many starters how many all-stars how many borderline all-stars

Yea its still too soon but, 2009 was a great year
    2010 not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    I've always always looked at the quality of players in that year based on NBA success of the guys taken in the draft THAT year (So Mason or Miles or Nolan or Kyle wouldn't count for 2010 but would for 2011)

How many starters how many all-stars how many borderline all-stars

Yea its still too soon but, 2009 was a great year
    2010 not so much.
    I think Skitzle has nailed part of the story.

First off, let's all agree that "Up Year, Down Year" are highly subjective terms but in this case we're really dealing with a sports media driven headline. As all news has gone on the 24 hour clock via multiple platforms each with non-stop talking heads, these kind of season-long themes are inevitable. In terms of the "Up Year Down Year" theme as seen through the lens of sports media, the components are:

-What Skitzle said, a critical mass of superstar players of which, maybe, there are a couple of All Stars and then a 10-15 who become starters/rotation players in the NBA.

-Some of those aforementioned best players being sophomores and juniors.

-At least a few powerhouse teams featuring some of those players vying for a title. The NCAA Tournament is always great, but you want a chance for epic match-ups in the Elite 8 and Final Four.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Hasn't every year since 1978 been decried as a down year?

Either one team is dominant over a weak field, or the whole field lacks true great teams.

Some folks (not the original poster) need a new sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    It's been down since everybody leaves early. If they put the rule back that you had to stay 3 years or go straight form high school to the NBA we would get to see a much better brand of ball.
    I think both of these sort of sums it all up. Everyone just says down year just like everyone always thinks times were better back in the years of yore. Everyone just remembers the good old years like they were instantly better. Combined with the lack of proven stars in the NCAA and relatively lack of complete teams and this is what you get.

I will say it has been too common to call every year a down year but I think it is a down year when you compare it to the late 90's early 00's and before. Look at 2001 Duke, you had senior Shane, sophomores Jay Will, Dunleavy, Boozer and even added a freshman Duhon. Now, you either see that talent on a 1 and done type team or you get an experienced team with less talent. I would imagine there aren't many teams that can boast 3 top 10 picks of which none were freshman and another all star. You just don't see that NBA talent on these NCAA teams anymore unless it is 1 and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I think Skitzle has nailed part of the story.

First off, let's all agree that "Up Year, Down Year" are highly subjective terms but in this case we're really dealing with a sports media driven headline. As all news has gone on the 24 hour clock via multiple platforms each with non-stop talking heads, these kind of season-long themes are inevitable. In terms of the "Up Year Down Year" theme as seen through the lens of sports media, the components are:

-What Skitzle said, a critical mass of superstar players of which, maybe, there are a couple of All Stars and then a 10-15 who become starters/rotation players in the NBA.

-Some of those aforementioned best players being sophomores and juniors.

-At least a few powerhouse teams featuring some of those players vying for a title. The NCAA Tournament is always great, but you want a chance for epic match-ups in the Elite 8 and Final Four.
    Looking over this years draft prospects.. it doesn't seem to be one of those years...

That said 2013-2014 could be Epic

As I see it, a "down year" in college basketball has nothing to do with college basketball at all. Somebody's talking about the talent pool for the NBA. Year in and year out, the overalll talent in college ball is surely very close to exactly the same. I also don't really care about the individual players who might or might not meet in the last 2-3 rounds of the tournament. As a college fan with next to no interest in the NBA, those "lottery players" are only interesting when they and their teams become a potential stumbling block for Duke.

I'd much rather have a year such as 2010, when the overall teams are the important factor. For me, that is most decidedly an "up" year. I'd say the years when one super-talented player leads his team to the title are the real downers. My "up" years are probably good for sportswriters, too. They get to do some real thinking, instead of all of them just barking up the same tree.

This year, therefore, should be exciting. After all, we have a coach who gives us a real edge if the talent level is fairly even.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!