Thread: Jack Reacher

Jack Reacher

I generally enjoy Lee Childs’ Reacher books. They are a superman fantasy, but close enough to real to entertain me. Even so, One Shot, the book upon which the movie Jack Reacher is based, isn’t all that great.

The movie differs from the book both in location and in plot simplification. In that sense the book is far better because this movie is a near-plotless shoot-em up and car chase where motives are unclear and personal motivations are too shallow to be accepted.

I don’t want to get into spoilers but I think I should say that this movie seems more like a TV show than a movie. In fact, I can probably think of better motivation developments in episodes of a wide variety of Lone Ranger-like TV series. So, no, I don’t really think this movie is very good.

Cruise has been in better movies, but he’s to blame here as this came from his own production company. Others have observed that the puny Cruise is a bad choice to play the 6-5 Reacher. I agree, and the fight scenes don’t quite fly for me—perhaps because Cruise doesn’t fit my mind’s eye image of Reacher.

On the other hand, Rosamund Pike does light up the screen. She’s a brainy beauty, who plays off her daddy, Richard Jenkins, pretty well. Jenkins is always a joy to watch; he’s an actor’s actor. Unfortunately, his part has been severely cut back from the book, so his character is rather flat, instead of constituting the menacing DA envisioned by Childs. The same can be said of the group of bad guys. They are fairly pedestrian, even when the director tries to scare us. (Who’s going to bite off his own fingers even at gunpoint?) Beyond that, their ineptitude isn’t funny, though you’d think that thugs swinging crowbars at Cruise, but hitting themselves instead, might be worth a laugh—trust me, it’s not.

It’s hard to pan a movie with Robert Duvall in it—and he does add some flavor—but this just isn’t a very good movie.

Perhaps some of the movie’s weaknesses are due to the book’s overall mediocrity, but surely a better movie could have been made.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 12-22-2012 at 05:37 AM. Reason: OP request

I have no interest in Tom Cruise movies.

On the other hand there's Rosamund Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I have no interest in Tom Cruise movies.

On the other hand there's Rosamund Pike.
    Allowing Robert Duvall and Tom Cruise to be in the same movie is like having Duke play a 7 year old rec league team. Tom Cruise plays the exact same character in every movie - brash young guy who shows a heart of gold at the end. It has been the same role since Risky Business. He has the range of a cartoon character - I take that back, Foghorn Leghorn has more range. Duvall, on theother hand, is America's best actor.

Want to see Robert Duvall at his best - find the little seen Wrestling Earnest Hemmingway - brilliant!
    Last edited by allenmurray; 12-22-2012 at 10:15 AM.

I have read 10 of Lee Childs' books in the Jack Reacher series; it's a guilty pleasure of sorts, hard to put down and kind of satisfying when Reacher takes out the bad guys.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I am stunned by Tom Cruise getting cast as Reacher. So much in the books is made of Reacher's size and physical prowess; it's not only a reason for his fighting ability, it's an integral part of his persona.

Thanks for the reviews thus far; not sure if this is worth a trip to the theater, or perhaps wait for home view.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I have read 10 of Lee Childs' books in the Jack Reacher series; it's a guilty pleasure of sorts, hard to put down and kind of satisfying when Reacher takes out the bad guys.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but I am stunned by Tom Cruise getting cast as Reacher. So much in the books is made of Reacher's size and physical prowess; it's not only a reason for his fighting ability, it's an integral part of his persona.

Thanks for the reviews thus far; not sure if this is worth a trip to the theater, or perhaps wait for home view.
    I have read them all and I agree - Reacher is a BIG guy who uses his size to great advantage. Cruise is a little guy. Either careful camera angles or they have to change the character.

Well I saw it today, and after having read all the Lee Child books, I was also skeptical of Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher. I went in expecting to be disappointed, but if you can suspend your preconceived idea of Jack Reacher's impressive size, the movie was great in my opinion. There was just enough action and suspense to hold my attention. Since it has been several years since I read the book, I couldn't remember exactly where the movie strayed. Had I not read the book, I would still liked the movie. My 21 year old son hasn't read any of the books and thoroughly enjoyed it too.
    Tom Mac

I saw Jack Reacher yeaterday and have to agree with Tommy. I was worried that Cruise would not carry the title role but found that he carried it off quite well. A good show and entertaining to the end. Faithful to the book - with little, but reasonable, deviation. Worth the price of admission and in this day that is saying a lot.

since i have ZERO knowledge of this character, i'll let you know how an outsider sees it...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese