Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We have had negative announcers before

but JFC who are these people!! I've never, not Packer not nobody, heard this bad.

what are you talking about?

It's bad, but I don't believe the announcers are the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    but JFC who are these people!! I've never, not Packer not nobody, heard this bad.
    Agreed. Very Anti-Duke announcers here.

No, this is as bad as I've heard - these guys are deliberately trying to get the crowd excited about Duke losing. Like Billy Packer, emphasizing any Duke mistakes and neglecting great plays.

way too sensitive

Guys, the color man is Bob Wenzel -- an assistant coach at duke from 75 to 80. Quit looking everywhere for enemies. We have plenty of real ones. We don't need to imagine any.
    Last edited by devildownunder; 03-15-2007 at 09:26 PM. Reason: one word change

The announcers have nothing to do with the score.

Maybe Wenzel was a coach for Duke, but he started calling our players "tired" ten minutes into the game.

True, we did do many bad things, but the announcers were slurping VCU the entier game, and pointing to Duke weaknesses as often as possible.

I was actually wishing for Packer during the game.

Exiled

>Maybe Wenzel was a coach for Duke, but he started calling our players "tired" ten minutes into the game.

Do you disagree? We were either tired, or a step slower than VCU all game for some other reason.

Bad, but not awful

The announcers, in my opinion, were clearly pulling for VCU-- but not in a anti-Duke way. VCU is a story, they're fun, they're fast, they press.

It's always telling when the score is tied near the end of the game and everything is glowing about one team.

It was annoying to hear them pulling for VCU and getting excited at their steals and three's, but they would've done the same to any mid major against a Duke caliber team. They did give Paulus lots of credit, which I appreciate...

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    Maybe Wenzel was a coach for Duke, but he started calling our players "tired" ten minutes into the game.

True, we did do many bad things, but the announcers were slurping VCU the entier game, and pointing to Duke weaknesses as often as possible.

I was actually wishing for Packer during the game.

Exiled

We were tired 10 minutes into the game, largely because we almost never face full-court pressure. The announcer was right. And as far as "slurping" VCU goes, I thought they talked plenty about Paulus and how well he performed and how big an advantage duke had and mcroberts' play in the first half. What were they supposed to do, go interview laettner about '92 while vcu was making a run?

Again, way too sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    >Maybe Wenzel was a coach for Duke, but he started calling our players "tired" ten minutes into the game.

Do you disagree? We were either tired, or a step slower than VCU all game for some other reason.
    I do disagree. Being tired 10 minutes into a game after having a weeks rest is not a very logical assessment. I say that Moyner was quicker than Greg (a theme to our losses this year) and they play at a faster pace than we played this year.

My wife actually thought Greg looked sick, but I have no information about that.

Exiled

>I do disagree. Being tired 10 minutes into a game after having a weeks rest is not a very logical assessment.

I think the announcer was commenting on apparent fact, not logic. And it's hard to fault him for that. We sure looked the part of a tired team, whether we were or not. And I certainly agree we had no excuise to be.

They did balance the comments about Paulus and Josh, whenever they did something good. However, they celebrated Maynor whenever he was in the game. Granted, he is good.

I don't buy the 'tired' assessment 10 minutes in. Here's an alternative assessment: we aren't accustomed to facing full-court defense, and we have been historically sloppy with the ball all season.

In the end, I don't consider the announcers a grave injustice. They were just an annoyance. The game itself was a great game with the ending not what I wanted. I really enjoyed the game iteslf (until the last 2 minutes) but hte announcers were a thorn the whole time.

Exiled
    Last edited by Exiled_Devil; 03-15-2007 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Maynor Maynard Moyner

Don't you mean Maynard, not Moyner?

Announcers and Foul Trouble

One thing that really was weird about this game was that the announcers seemed totally uninterested and unaware of foul trouble in the game. I hardly remember it being talked about. Several times when our guys and their guys got 4th fouls they mentioned it, but just kept going. To me, Marky going on with 10 minutes left because of fouls would usually warrent a little more talk.

Of a similar note (ie, missing guys), what happened to Gerald's hand? Looks like he cut it on something on the table. Bad break-- he was a nice athlete to have in, and he was out for quite a while.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    Don't you mean Maynard, not Moyner?
    LOL. It's "Maynor"

Oops. Thanks for the correction!

I don't think we were "tired", but a little bit slower. Wenzel was correct in his assessment, but his beating it to death like a dead horse was very annoying. When Duke played well and went on runs he never mentioned that VCU looked tired. I also thought the announcers were favoring VCU a bit, but more from "upset" angle than the anti-Duke angle.

No Zoubek?

Why no Zoubek? Is he hurt, is he sick? I mean for christ's sake, the kid is 7 foot tall....maybe he can't jump over a rock in a driveway, but he's 7 foot? Does anyone think he might have helped keep the VCU players from driving and just putting floaters up? I mean, it's not hard when you're 6'3" and you're shooting over a 6'1" Paulus.