Thread: This is 40

This is 40

Turns out there was a reason no one voted for This is 40 in our Top 5 Films of Winter poll.

No, the movie is not terrible, heck I thought it was pretty good, but it is not going to be any kind of boxoffice force. It has a lot of really funny scenes, but they are somewhat disjointed and disconnected from each other. The overall plot is uneven and the film meanders from scene to scene without a real sense of where it is going or the tone it is trying to set. A critic friend of mine said, "I think Judd Apatow had an idea for an entire TV season worth of a sitcom, but decided to just mash it all together into one movie instead."

Again, it is quite funny at times -- both Leslie Mann (Mrs. Judd Apatow) and Paul Rudd are quite willing to put themselves out there and risk a lot for a laugh. But the film's serious moments drag and don't always make sense. It ends up being a decent date movie that causes you to laugh a good bit but leaves you confused and feeling bland at the end. It is a pity Apatow could not clean up some of the script's lazy, messy parts because I lot track of the number of times there was a hysterical scene that reminded me of my relationship with my wife. This really comes close to being an insightful comedy... but the ways in which it misses are just so glaring and off-putting... sigh.

Be warned, there is a lot of hard-R stuff in this, as in all Apatow movies, so be sure frank talk of sex, drugs, and other naughty stuff does not bother you at all.

By the way, at least half the funny scenes in the trailers did not make it into the movie. I suspect there are 30+ minutes of deleted scenes just waiting to be put on DVD.

-Jason "as long as he was making a movie starring his wife, Apatow decided to cast his two daughters in the movie as well. The older one is fairly decent... but the younger one just isn't an actress yet" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

After that thorough review, I have only one thing to add:

Leslie Mann is one hot piece of SHUTYOURMOUTH.

Too bad, I was really looking forward to that one. It had a great trailer, so I'm surprised to see a lot of scenes deleted. Will probably still see it, but on Blu Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Reisen View Post
    Too bad, I was really looking forward to that one. It had a great trailer, so I'm surprised to see a lot of scenes deleted. Will probably still see it, but on Blu Ray.
    I hope you did not think I was panning it. I wasn't... not even close. I laughed, a lot, in this film. It just felt disjointed and ambling at times instead of being focused. It felt a bit like a series of SNL skits all on the same topic of having a mid-life crisis. But, aside from that, the skits are only marginally related to each other.

-Jason "it isn't that bad -- I would expect it to be in the mid-60s or 70s on RT and I would give it like 3 out of 5 stars" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    No, the movie is not terrible, heck I thought it was pretty good, but it is not going to be any kind of boxoffice force.
    Yeah, I'm 35, and this movie seems too "old" for me.

The 40 Year Old Virgin is one thing. The title/trailer/poster suggests that the movie is about a 40 year old virgin who needs some serious help to finally get laid. That's funny. It's even relatable to a wide range of people. Heck, even if we're not 40, we all remember wanting to lose our virginity, or even wanting to get laid at some point. The fact that we lost our virginity before 40 makes us feel a little better about ourselves, just going into the movie.

This is 40, though... I can't relate to it. I don't relate to the people in the trailer and I'm 35. I don't talk to my significant other while sitting on the toilet. I can only imagine how skip-able this movie is to the teens and 20-somethings.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Yeah, I'm 35, and this movie seems too "old" for me.

The 40 Year Old Virgin is one thing. The title/trailer/poster suggests that the movie is about a 40 year old virgin who needs some serious help to finally get laid. That's funny. It's even relatable to a wide range of people. Heck, even if we're not 40, we all remember wanting to lose our virginity, or even wanting to get laid at some point. The fact that we lost our virginity before 40 makes us feel a little better about ourselves, just going into the movie.

This is 40, though... I can't relate to it. I don't relate to the people in the trailer and I'm 35. I don't talk to my significant other while sitting on the toilet. I can only imagine how skip-able this movie is to the teens and 20-somethings.
    Would it help to know that those of us over 40 still think we are in our twenties?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Would it help to know that those of us over 40 still think we are in our twenties?
    I, for one, am so glad not to be in my 20s.

Around here, in the gentrified sections of the ATL, you are apparently required to have many tattoos, a beard, fake glasses, apathy, and a cigarette habit. Stinky, old clothes are optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I, for one, am so glad not to be in my 20s.

Around here, in the gentrified sections of the ATL, you are apparently required to have many tattoos, a beard, fake glasses, apathy, and a cigarette habit. Stinky, old clothes are optional.
    So basically, Groucho Marx, but with tattoos.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Went with a group where everyone was 18 to 24 and we all agreed this was the funniest movie since Hangover pt 1. Completely awesome in terms of hilarity although I think It depends on your age and or humor. There were a bunch of couples in there who laughed but sparingly where as we laughed almost non stop.