Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

MBB: Duke v. Cornell Pregame and In-Game Thread

http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/12/p...ke-vs-cornell/ Here is a game day preview for tomorrows Duke vs Cornell match up. Back to back games is an unusual thing at Duke with non tournament games (Elon the next night). Anybody know the last time that happened in Duke BB history? Anyhow, these games give fans a chance to see Duke in CIS with most of the students being gone. I fully expect Duke to be 11-0 come Friday.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 12-18-2012 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Fix link

Watched some of the Cornell vs Vanderbillt game last night. Cornell was competitive for the most part, rallying after falling behind by a big margin in the first half. It was apparently the first game for Cornell since Dec. 1, due to their exam break. Can't see them giving the Blue Devils too much of a scare.

Here's the ESPN write-up on the game with Vanderbilt.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=323520238

I'm thinking we see MP3 in action in these next 2 games?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Watched some of the Cornell vs Vanderbillt game last night. Cornell was competitive for the most part, rallying after falling behind by a big margin in the first half. It was apparently the first game for Cornell since Dec. 1, due to their exam break. Can't see them giving the Blue Devils too much of a scare.

Here's the ESPN write-up on the game with Vanderbilt.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=323520238

I'm thinking we see MP3 in action in these next 2 games?
    Considering he dressed and took warmups for the last game, I'll be surprised if he doesn't play in at least one of the next two games. How much he plays remains to be seen, of course.

Since the next 3 games aren't losable, I'm kinda hoping that K gives Seth the rest of the month off. If I had to guess I'd say that he plays 1 of the games this week and gets the other off.

Quote Originally Posted by supbros View Post
    Since the next 3 games aren't losable, I'm kinda hoping that K gives Seth the rest of the month off. If I had to guess I'd say that he plays 1 of the games this week and gets the other off.
    Pretty sure we said Lehigh was unlosable too

Every game is losable. Did you learn nothing from the Lehigh game last year? Playing Seth in only one of the 2 back-to-back games seems reasonable, and it seems like a decent plan to just sit Seth until January and let his leg heal as best it can in that time. I like what i've seen from Rasheed so far and TT has shown himself to be a very capable guard, so sitting Seth for health reasons should be something this team can handle and could yield real benefits down the road, but absolutely, positively NOT because these games are un-losable.
    I sure hope that the boys play well enough for K to feel comfortable letting Murph'n'Mile get some solid run. I'm also hopeful that the talk of Marshall's foot being ready to go are true as well so that he can get some decent reps out there. We've been playing well so far and don't seem to have looked past any team that we've played, and i certainly hope the team doesn't think these are un-losable games. You don't become a champion by neglecting to take care of the business at hand.

WHY???? would you MOCK the basketball godz?

sheeesh....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Anyone who said Lehigh was un-losable wasn't paying attention last year (to us or to them).

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    We were like 10.5 point faves vs Lehigh, it was 100% losable. Not my problem if people on this board failed to recognize and realize.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    WHY???? would you MOCK the basketball godz?

sheeesh....
    because i'm a basketball atheist and i can mock em all i want and we still won't lose any of the next 3 games

and because i wanted to make the simple point that it's a good stretch to get 4 straight weeks of rest for seth

The basketball godz don't care that you don't believe in them.

And by the way, you don't come on this board and announce that any game is not losable.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

because i'm a basketball atheist and i can mock em all i want and we still won't lose any of the next 3 games

and because i wanted to make the simple point that it's a good stretch to get 4 straight weeks of rest for seth
    FWIW, Supbros, I don't think you are a member of this "community." You may want to think about your comments and your attitude. Honest disagreements are OK; taunting behavior, IMHO, even if not addressed at someone in particular, is not.

sagegrouse
    'Would normally have PMed, but this is systematic'

Coach K believes in the basketball gods

And if it's good enough for K, it's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dwbunkley View Post
    And if it's good enough for K, it's good enough for me.
    Actually, considering Coach K's strict Catholic upbringing, he believes in one God. That God is, I'm sure, also his Basketball God.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Back to the original point of supbros' post, these are games in which one might reasonably expect to see MP3 get some work time in. That is no guarantee, of course, and we may have our starters in for the whole game in order to fight off some large upsets. Then again, if our starters are playing and we're tied or down at the half, well -- we may see the Patrick Davidson bench rotation anyway.

I think supbros' point is valid, even if stated a bit strongly for these parts.

We've played 1 game in an almost 3 week span, I think Seth will be just fine playing some minutes 2 nights in a row.

I had a question that is somewhat related, somewhat unrelated. Does anyone know why we only have 1 walk-on in Zafirovski? I would think that we would have a PG/SG walk-on available to us in mop up games like these. It seems like UNC and some teams have like 5 walk ons sitting on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by dwbunkley View Post
    Coach K believes in the basketball gods ...
    Coach K IS a basketball god.

and self-aware.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    We've played 1 game in an almost 3 week span, I think Seth will be just fine playing some minutes 2 nights in a row.

I had a question that is somewhat related, somewhat unrelated. Does anyone know why we only have 1 walk-on in Zafirovski? I would think that we would have a PG/SG walk-on available to us in mop up games like these. It seems like UNC and some teams have like 5 walk ons sitting on the bench.
    Very valid question. Perhaps Mr Sumner could enlighten us, but it does seem odd to only have one walk-on. K has never carried the 6 to 8 walkons like Ol Roy does, but he has historically carried more than one at a time unless my memory is going bad on me.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/12/p...ke-vs-cornell/ Here is a game day preview for tomorrows Duke vs Cornell match up. Back to back games is an unusual thing at Duke with non tournament games (Elon the next night). Anybody know the last time that happened in Duke BB history?
    It's been 17 years since we played back-to-backers and neither game was part of a tournament. In 1995 we played back-to-back home games in December against Delaware and Western Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Very valid question. Perhaps Mr Sumner could enlighten us, but it does seem odd to only have one walk-on. K has never carried the 6 to 8 walkons like Ol Roy does, but he has historically carried more than one at a time unless my memory is going bad on me.

Yeah, I do remember us always having at least a few. I remember the good ole days with Ryan and Justin Caldbeck, JD Simpson, and Andy Borman.