Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Interesting Question: Do we WANT to be No. 1?

When I told a buddy yesterday about Butler beating Indiana, his first response was negative—he dreaded Duke being ranked No. 1. In his mind, either A) some sort of curse brings about something bad when the Blue Devils are No. 1, or B) It brings way too much attention onto the team, often exposing faults and leads to a sort of overreaction when we eventually lose.

I'm of a somewhat opposite mindset: while I wholeheartedly believe ranking mean very little at this point (or really, any) in the season, I think come tourney time being in the spotlight for as long as we are No. 1 is positive in the selection committee's eyes because they end up watching us play more, and we end up playing in more "high-pressure" situations.

I'm curious to see what others feel about this question, or if people even care about the rankings at this point in the season. Any thoughts?
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    When I told a buddy yesterday about Butler beating Indiana, his first response was negative—he dreaded Duke being ranked No. 1. In his mind, either A) some sort of curse brings about something bad when the Blue Devils are No. 1, or B) It brings way too much attention onto the team, often exposing faults and leads to a sort of overreaction when we eventually lose.

I'm of a somewhat opposite mindset: while I wholeheartedly believe ranking mean very little at this point (or really, any) in the season, I think come tourney time being in the spotlight for as long as we are No. 1 is positive in the selection committee's eyes because they end up watching us play more, and we end up playing in more "high-pressure" situations.

I'm curious to see what others feel about this question, or if people even care about the rankings at this point in the season. Any thoughts?
    If it's a problem, it's a nice problem to have. I'd love to be dealing with this conundrum every season.

That being said, it doesn't matter much to me anyways. But I'll certainly take the good start. More often than not, if we've been #1 at any point in the season, we've had substantial success towards the end.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Yes, I want Duke ranked #1. The guys have earned it by playing a tough early season schedule and prevailing. The #1 ranking allows the team to see the fruits of their labor. As far as excessive attention is concerned, Duke always receives maximum attention from the national media and opponents always bring their best game onto the court. The key now is to continue to work hard to improve in preparation for the tough ACC games in 2013.
    Bob Green

I want the team to be #1 as much as possible because I love the impressive records coach K has at Duke in terms of years achieving the top ranking and weeks at# 1. I agree it is a great problem to have, though of course I would prefer to be at the top at the end. Fortunately, I don't think the two are exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post

classic case of selective perception.

when duke is #1 and loses, you remember it, if duke was #2 and lost, you wouldn't remember it as much...so it increases the amount you remember the bad things that would have happened regardless of the ranking

so no, I don't care...duke always has media attention, duke always has the "target on their backs"...#1 #2 or #100 doesn't mean a thing. but it's nice to be able to stick it in the face of UNC fans
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    classic case of selective perception.

when duke is #1 and loses, you remember it, if duke was #2 and lost, you wouldn't remember it as much...so it increases the amount you remember the bad things that would have happened regardless of the ranking

so no, I don't care...duke always has media attention, duke always has the "target on their backs"...#1 #2 or #100 doesn't mean a thing. but it's nice to be able to stick it in the face of UNC fans
    I disagree I think it does matter maybe not much but yes it does actually matter. Kids growing up watching basketball (8,9,10 and years old) see you getting these high rankings and start keeping tabs on you by going onto the internet and looking at your stats and etc. These kids are potential fans, players, students that may not have a favorite team or are easily influenced by a ranking. Not to mention it helps Dukes and Coach K's legacy (already high but always getting higher) in basketball.

Just my .02

We want to win every game. If we do and we are number one, so be it.

I don't ever want to lose -- nor do the coaches and players.

sagegrouse

Of course we want to be #1, and this squad has earned the ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

sagegrouse
    sage one, I am with you on this. I just want to win the next game - every next game.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I disagree I think it does matter maybe not much but yes it does actually matter. Kids growing up watching basketball (8,9,10 and years old) see you getting these high rankings and start keeping tabs on you by going onto the internet and looking at your stats and etc. These kids are potential fans, players, students that may not have a favorite team or are easily influenced by a ranking. Not to mention it helps Dukes and Coach K's legacy (already high but always getting higher) in basketball.

Just my .02
    I was referring to the likelihood of other teams beating us due to the #1 ranking (and consequentially a "curse" existing)...not to the overall effect.

and yes, i do think there is an impact on recruiting
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

sagegrouse
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Great minds think alike! And I agree with you too

Going undefeated is always improbable. But not impossible, even in this day and age.

May this be the season we go 40 - 0! But all I really care about is winning the last game of the season! In April!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Great post. That pretty much sums it up.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Interesting, seems to be agreement here. I too don't see anything wrong about being No. 1... the only time I can see it being a problem is in an early season situation where we're clearly overrated, and then the rest of the season is played under the shadow of that former No. 1 ranking.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I like that it adds to the Duke stat of weeks ranked number one and the number of seasons Duke has held that spot. I really see no downside.

This Team is a #1 Team

Not being #1 is fighting the inevitable.

I also think this team is more suited to carry that title than any other team we've had at this point in the season for quite a while.

I say, "Bring it on!"

I LOVE THIS TEAM!

No. 1

I can't understandhe mentality of some fans.

Why does negativity so often rule on this boar? I remember when Duke won in the Bahamas and there were posts about not playing the bench. Or maybe it's shooting too many threes. It's always something with some people.

Being No. 1 is a curse?

Duke is 207-31 as the No. 1 ranked team. That's 87 percent winning percentage. That's some curse.

Our 1991 nationl title game won it all without ever being ranked better than No. 5 -- but our 1992 title team was ranked No. 1 every week that season and it didn't seem to hurt.

The 2001 champs finished the season at No. 1. The 2010 champs were never ranked higher than No. 3. The 2006 team spent a lot of the season a No. 1 and slipped up in the Sweet 16.

So what?

I'm saying the idea of a "curse" is silly -- we spent much of the year at No. 1 in '86 and reached the title game. Ditto for 1999. Our worst years in the last quarter century -- 1995, 1996, 2007 -- we never reached No. 1. Maybe No. 8 is a curse -- we were 8th in the final poll last season and lost in the first round; we were No. 8 in the final 1997 poll and lost in the second round! Boy, I don't want to be No. 8!

I don't buy the idea that being No. 1 puts a bigger target on our back. When was the last time Duke lost on the road and the fans DIDN'T rush the court? Duke is ALWAYS a target.

I love being No. 1 ... and I think the players deserve the recognition.

At some point, they'll probably lose as the No. 1 team and all the naysayers will say I-told-you-so. But if Indiana had kept winning and stayed No. 1, Duke will probably lose the same game down the road as No. 2.

My point is that Duke's ranking has ZERO impact on te outcome of future games -- or good or bad. Lighten up and enjoy the ride.

... this squad has earned the ranking.
    This is the most pleasing aspect of Duke's impending #1 ranking. Pretty clearly the new #1 will be one of the undefeated teams already in the top 10. Michigan or Syracuse might get the odd first-place vote, but it would be seen, correctly, as odd, toward the disputatious, if not just a tad snarky.

Because, as OPK states forthrightly, these guys have earned it. It would require something approaching pretzel logic to claim Duke hasn't won more than its share, and more than any other team, of games against strong opponents. [Perhaps Chad Ford will "power-rank" Michigan ahead of Duke. Ok, not a crime.]

Duke might or might not beat Michigan, Syracuse, or Arizona were they to play soon. No one [right?] would yet claim Duke is easily, overwhelmingly, the best team in the country. Most will acknowledge that the rankings are just a rough snapshot of teams' performance at any point in the season. But if the rankings have a good faith, if imperfect, relationship to how teams have actually played, Duke is certainly #1 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I don't buy the idea that being No. 1 puts a bigger target on our back. When was the last time Duke lost on the road and the fans DIDN'T rush the court? Duke is ALWAYS a target.
    This... I agree with entirely. Doesn't matter what the ranking... Duke will always have a target on their back. I like it... makes the games all that more exciting, especially on the road.

I agree again. Always want to be #1. But, not #1 without some kind of proof, like pre-season when no games have yet to be played. This season, Duke started at, what, #8? We all thought that was reasonable. But through the games so far, especially against the higher ranked teams... and still undefeated... this team DESERVES to be #1. That's the reward for all the hard work they put in so far...

Never got the impression that Coach K shied away from a #1 ranking in the polls.

When we're not #1, it's not like we hide in the weeds and the basketball world hardly notices us. Highly ranked or not (and quite often we are highly ranked), Duke usually gets the opponent's best shot.

Glad to see this group of players get the recognition of a #1 ranking.

My compliments to just about everybody who has posted in this thread. During a season, #1 is a nice prize for the players, coaches, and fans, alike. It is a reward to the players, and a reminder to them of how their good work gets them there. Just remember that, and work on it.