Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Matt Jones, looking good!

Coach K has to like what he is seeing in Jones tonight. Moves well, goes to the basket both left and right, hits the 3-pointer. Scores 40+% of his team's points against excellent competition. Except for a few turnovers, whats not to like? Jones is sure to move up in the rankings.

Saw the complete game on TV last night

Quote Originally Posted by westwall View Post
    Coach K has to like what he is seeing in Jones tonight. Moves well, goes to the basket both left and right, hits the 3-pointer. Scores 40+% of his team's points against excellent competition. Except for a few turnovers, whats not to like? Jones is sure to move up in the rankings.
    I had the opportunity to watch a couple of games last night. The one referred to here was Matt Jones Texas club against thee then #1 rated Jabari Parker's team from Chicago. Coach K and two of his other coaches were in attendance. What I saw in Matt Jones was very encouraging. Hard to tell what his height is, but I can believe 6'4" and he is wiry and his muscles defined. He is long and a very good athlete with good quickness. None of the sullen looks of some players and a real team guy. Very good all the way around.

He handles the ball very well going either left or right with equal capability. He can score from the three, can pull up and can get to the rim using either hand equally well. He also is an outstanding foul shooter. I would put him in the elite category of all shooters/scorers. A great replacement for Seth, with more size and athleticism. He tends to dribble the ball in front of the opponent and was picked on several occasions, but that is an easy thing to fix. He was very good defensively and got in for rebounds at times. We have a winner in this kid and indeed his team easily dispatched the Chicago team.

Jabari Parker was coming back after having a broken foot and not playing for months. It showed. I can believe he is 6'7" or even 6'8". His muscles were not well defined and he appeared to be out of playing shape. Again fully understandable. He showed none of the attitude problems you see in some players, even though he obviously was not playing anywhere near his #2 in the country status. There were a couple of times where he showed his excellent handle and quickness with the ball. Not to worry, this is a great young player who just needs to get his practice time in. I truly hope we are the ones who he chooses and we can see the real kid play for us.

Also in the stands were coaches from Michigan State and BYU.

ESPN cut away right as Jabari and Matt were about to shake hands after the game. Was hoping to catch the interaction.

Not being a expert here (by far!), would Matt have said something to Jabari re the decision ("Would be great to play with you next year, etc"), or let him do his thing?
    Last edited by duke74; 12-14-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: typo

Ordinarily, performance against High School competition would factor greatly into any assessment of Matt Jones' game last night. But, much of last night he went up against Simeon guard Jaylon Tate, who is heading to Illinois. Tate scored 12 points, Matt had 23. So, what Jones did last night was against legit Division I competition. Niiiice!

Here is a nice photo of Matt doing his thing last night.

-Jason "the competition for wing minutes is going to be INSANE next year" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Highlights and brief analysis from ESPN on last night's game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6TcMtOTjx0

Paul Biancardi compares Jones to Sulaimon, which is always a good thing. How many SGs can you have with a great shot, the ability to put the ball on the floor, and defend? The answer - not enough.

If freshman Jones is 50% of freshman Sulaimon, I'll me a happy dude.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ordinarily, performance against High School competition would factor greatly into any assessment of Matt Jones' game last night. But, much of last night he went up against Simeon guard Jaylon Tate, who is heading to Illinois. Tate scored 12 points, Matt had 23. So, what Jones did last night was against legit Division I competition. Niiiice!

Here is a nice photo of Matt doing his thing last night.

-Jason "the competition for wing minutes is going to be INSANE next year" Evans

Even though it's only one game, it's great to hear about the collective assessment of his ability. People have been saying that Jones is unlikely to crack the rotation next year - primarily due to the depth we have at guard/wing. Maybe we have to rethink that.

This may hijack this thread - I just hope Jones isn't wearing that number next year.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Even though it's only one game, it's great to hear about the collective assessment of his ability. People have been saying that Jones is unlikely to crack the rotation next year - primarily due to the depth we have at guard/wing. Maybe we have to rethink that.

This may hijack this thread - I just hope Jones isn't wearing that number next year.
    Warning: we're simultaneously approaching a minutes discussion AND and will-Rasheed-leave-early discussion.

Matt Jones looks cut.

Jones

I got to watch the last 10 minutes or so and came away very impressed with Mr. Jones.

More interested in seeing his physical abilities, his handle and his on-court saavy than anything else. For a guy touted as a spot-up shooter when he committed to us, he appeared tio be a very complete player.

I'd say more of a combo guard than a wing. I know that he gets most of his minutes for DeSoto on the wing, but with about seven minutes left last night he moved to the point ... he had assists on five straight possessions (two of them long downcourt passes). I think the comparisons to Sulaimon, another combo guard from Texas, are valid.

Not going to get into the minutes discision -- I'll just repeat what I've said many times. You can't have too many wings. K can play three together extensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I got to watch the last 10 minutes or so and came away very impressed with Mr. Jones.

More interested in seeing his physical abilities, his handle and his on-court saavy than anything else. For a guy touted as a spot-up shooter when he committed to us, he appeared tio be a very complete player.

I'd say more of a combo guard than a wing. I know that he gets most of his minutes for DeSoto on the wing, but with about seven minutes left last night he moved to the point ... he had assists on five straight possessions (two of them long downcourt passes). I think the comparisons to Sulaimon, another combo guard from Texas, are valid.

Not going to get into the minutes discision -- I'll just repeat what I've said many times. You can't have too many wings. K can play three together extensively.
    Liked what I saw- the kid is clearly ready for college- and has a ton of confidence. I liked that he continues to work on his game and wants to be more than just a shooter. He will be able to contribute right away. Duke will have a lot of interesting pieces next year.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Highlights and brief analysis from ESPN on last night's game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6TcMtOTjx0

Paul Biancardi compares Jones to Sulaimon, which is always a good thing. How many SGs can you have with a great shot, the ability to put the ball on the floor, and defend? The answer - not enough.

If freshman Jones is 50% of freshman Sulaimon, I'll me a happy dude.
    I don't think a 3'2" 100 lb Jones would make me very happy. Or, is that not what you meant?
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I don't think a 3'2" 100 lb Jones would make me very happy. Or, is that not what you meant?
    I think he meant that the nickname DBR will attempt to contrive for Jones may only be half as good as the ones we have for Rasheed.

{shudder}

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think he meant that the nickname DBR will attempt to contrive for Jones may only be half as good as the ones we have for Rasheed.

{shudder}
    Basketball Jones?

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Basketball Jones?
    You obviously have trouble with fractions. I meant WORSE than the ones being proposed for Rasheed -- not INFINITELY BETTER than them all.

(very well-played)

DeSoto's going to be playing in the HSOT Holiday Invitational at Broughton HS in Raleigh over the winter holiday. Psyched that I'll get to go watch Jones play!

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Basketball Jones?
    winner...

{shudder}
    If you follow the other thread reasoning, we have to call him TtEs to save letters.

You obviously have trouble with fractions. I meant WORSE than the ones being proposed for Rasheed -- not INFINITELY BETTER than them all.

(very well-played)
    Matt and the Crazies may need a little refresher to get on board ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1er9jyCJI_E

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

Shoot, K could likely play four of them together extensively.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

{shudder}
    Hopefully we'll call him Matt.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Can anyone provide any insight into whether last night's Matt Jones game might be replayed or not, and, more importantly, on what channel it was originally broadcast? I had no idea about this and I feel sick.