Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    I was thinking that New Orleans could be named "The Hurricanes," as that great DRINK was invented there...
    I could use one of those to help me sleep after tonight's hurricane in Coral Gables.

Pelicans is a weak mascot. I'm sorry.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Pelicans is a weak mascot. I'm sorry.
    So is Cardinals.

Pelicans....they're actually cold-blooded killers sometimes (youtubers beware). However, the NBA is a vicious circle of absolutely moronic GM's. If Utah wasn't totally stupid and hogging the name Jazz (in a jazzless state), then New Orleans would have the perfect name!

Quote Originally Posted by Durham Thunder View Post
    Pelicans....they're actually cold-blooded killers sometimes (youtubers beware). However, the NBA is a vicious circle of absolutely moronic GM's. If Utah wasn't totally stupid and hogging the name Jazz (in a jazzless state), then New Orleans would have the perfect name!
    agree totally

But I don't think they did too bad with the new logo...

http://nba.si.com/2013/01/24/new-orl.../?sct=uk_t2_a3

Quote Originally Posted by Durham Thunder View Post
    Or if New Orleans was able to support an NBA team the first time around the Jazz would still be there. The Jazz are Utah's.

I actually don't think Pelicans is that bad of a name. There are only so many "tough" animals to go around. I mean, no one complains about the Pittsburgh Penguins, which is even more ridiculous when you think about it. But yes, Brass would have been a good name too.

The only nickname that still drives me crazy is the Utah Jazz. Why didn't they change their nickname decades ago? They could even keep it as a music genre if they wanted, like the Utah Tabernacle Choirs, or the Utah Osmonds.

Quote Originally Posted by 1999ballboy View Post
    I actually don't think Pelicans is that bad of a name. There are only so many "tough" animals to go around. I mean, no one complains about the Pittsburgh Penguins, which is even more ridiculous when you think about it. But yes, Brass would have been a good name too.

The only nickname that still drives me crazy is the Utah Jazz. Why didn't they change their nickname decades ago? They could even keep it as a music genre if they wanted, like the Utah Tabernacle Choirs, or the Utah Osmonds.
    Utah Osmonds is the joke of the day- touche.

I'd like to point out that NOLA moved in 1979- the NBA was a far cry from the modern NBA, and it was tough for the non-Boston types to sustain.

I heard the name "Crewe" being thrown around, and I thought that would've been a pretty boss fit for New Orleans. Back to Utah- as if Jazz wasn't stupid enough, did they have to make their logo a mountain????? Mountains in Utah? Yes. But mountains with Jazz? Where's the connection with that?!

Pity the Poor Pelican

his beak holds more than his Beli-can.

I'd go with whomever said, "Angry Birds" and just call them that.
    Pelicans are vicious evil creatures. In Florida they chase tourists
    who feed them then stop - so wait - maybe I'm on the Pelican's
    side about THAT........

I agree. It's unique. "Yankees", "Packers", "Red Sox", "Lakers" - not everything has to be some fierce predator. (And has been pointed out, pelicans are tougher than their rep.)

No one's intimidated by a mascot. Teams should just pick something catchy.

When I lived in Orem I used to kid my Mormon friends about changing BYU from the Cougars to the Stormin' Mormons. One club hockey team supposedly went by that moniker I came to find out.

I really like Pelicans as a team mascot. I love the actual bird - especially white pelicans. I pretty much stop what I'm doing anytime I'm lucky enough to see one up here in ENC. Those logos are hideous though. You think they could have picked better colors than red, blue, and gold. Somebody needs to tell their branding agent that retro late 90's is sports marketing is dead. It reminds me of the Golden State's attempt to 'modernize' their brand a couple years back that failed miserably. A French blue, white, and yellow color scheme would have orders backed up from day one. Really though, I just hope the Bobcats get the Hornets name back. Oh, and sorry for the mini rant.

ffffff.pngfff8a9.png4477bb.png